🔹𝕿𝖍𝖎𝖗𝖙𝖞 𝕾𝖎𝖝🔹

Shooting arrows in the early afternoon sun, Lan Wangji worked up a sweat. Although his robes reflected the sun, they captured his body heat, and he had to wipe his eyes between turns. Wei Wuxian caught up to him. In the third round, Lan Wangji overtook him again by one shot. Wei Wuxian regained the lead in the fourth and more juniors came to watch, standing a few lengths back and commenting after each shot.

This went on until afternoon. In fact, Lan Wangji loved every minute with Wei Wuxian and the Jiang disciples. When the juniors were finally tired and Jiang Cheng had enough, the archery practises came to an end. Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji walked off too.

"Lan Zhan, are you tired?" Wei Wuxian asked.

Lan Wangji looked at him. Wei Wuxian was still jumping in his full energy which meant that he still had done other plans for the day.

"No," Lan Wangji replied.

"That's just great! Come on, I have got to take you somewhere." He said, pulling Lan Wangji and running off.

They ran until they reached a forest. Wei Wuxian was still holding onto Wangji's wrist, and he did not intend let go, bending forward at the knees to catch his breath, and laughed again.

"Ah, sorry, sorry, Lan Zhan. Did I just run too fast?"

"Mn." Lan Wangji affirmed for Wei Wuxian had really run too fast, may be, just too much excited.

Seizing the opportunity, Wangji properly tied his robes which had come loose during the run. It was cooler in the forest and reminded him of the Cloud Recesses, although these woods were less dense and had no fog. The trees were old, towering overhead like temple statues.

"We should be at the training grounds now."Lan Wangji said. He had not known that Wei Wuxian was taking him to the forest and he had been unable to question during the run too fir he had been panting.

"Don't worry. If Madame Yu says anything, I'll say I made you come with me."

Wei Wuxian grabbed hold of a bough and pulled himself up into the nearest tree, leaning down to extend a hand to help Lan Wangji up. Lan Wangji shook his head.

"Aiyaa, Lan Zhan, come up. You don't have to be scared. I'll catch you if you fall." Wei Wuxian said, lovingly.

'I'll catch you if you fall.' Those words settled in Lan Wangji's mind. His heart fluttered.

Lan Wangji extended his hand, grabbed Wei Wuxian's and got on top of the tree. They both sat side by side and settled their back against the trunk, letting their legs hang free.

Lan Wangji had never been a fan of climbing tress and having fun. But it felt really good to be around with Wei Wuxian, having fun.

"The first night Uncle Jiang brought me here, Jiang Cheng threatened to set his dogs on me, so I spent the night in this tree."

Wei Wuxian spoke fondly, so Lan Wangji inferred it was a good memory. Idle talk was not permitted back home. While his brother had mastered it for the sake of diplomacy, the way he could also drink small amounts of wine, Lan Wangji had never engaged in it. He wasn't certain he was engaging in it now, or if Wei Wuxian considered him a confidant and was imparting something very private. But just that thought of being Wei Wuxian's confidant and knowing all his secrets made Lan Wangji feel very special.

Lan Wangji nodded. Supposing Wei Wuxian must have lived with family prior to that, he asked, "And before?

Lan Wangji saw Wei Wuxian's face turn paler.

"Oh, my parents had died, so I was living on the streets." When Wei Wuxian saw the shocked look on Lan Wangji's face, he flapped his hand to dismiss it. "A lot of the merchants were friendly with me and saved me scraps, and I was little, so I could sleep anywhere. It toughens you up, you know? A lot of my juniors would benefit from a few months of trying to keep their food from the dogs." He bitterly laughed and added, "You wouldn't last a week, Lan Zhan."

"How long ago?" Lan Wangji asked.

"I was little, so . . . When I was seven years old, I guess."

Lan Wangji had grown up in the care of others, so that was probably true. He felt sorry for Wei Wuxian and he could feel his heart clench at the imagination of Wei Wuxian fighting for food with dogs.

Lan Wangji remained silent while Wei Wuxian continued, "My mother was very beautiful. She too was dressed in white, as far as I can remember. Despite having several suitors after leaving her teacher, she married my father who worked as a servant. She was outgoing, mischievous and straightforward. Most of my memories of her include the notion that she was always laughing." Wei Wuxian laughed, very bitterly.

"Lan Zhan, you know, I remember she tell me, 'Remember the things others do for you, not the things you do for others. Only when people don't hold so much in their hearts would they finally feel free.' I would never forget those words and I swear to live up to them."

Wei Wuxian's heart felt very heavy.

"How did your parents die?" Lan Wangji questioned.

"I don't know but I was said that they died on a night hunt."

"How long later did Sect leader Jiang bring you back to Lotus Pier?" Lan Wangji itched to know everything of Wei Wuxian's past. His husband's past!

"He found me in Yilling when I was nine or ten."

"You.." Lan Wangji was shocked. "You lived in steers for three years?"

"Yeah..." Wei Wuxian smiled which contained more sadness than happiness. "He fed me a piece of melon, and carried back home to Lotus Pier. Lan Zhan, I still remember that night, Uncle Jiang even allowed me to sit on his arm!" Wei Wuxian chucked.

Reminiscing the past, he could not help but sigh. They were filled with both goad and bad memories.