🔹𝕺𝖓𝖊🔹

Mist constantly enveloped the white walls and black roofs of the buildings, which stretched along the picturesque garden of the waterside pavilion, as if it was an ocean of clouds in the immortal realm. At dawn, the first rays of the morning sun shone through the hazy billows of mist that drifted far and wide, perfectly complementing its name—the "Cloud Recesses."

In such a tranquil place, one's heart would be like still water. Only the echoes of the bell tower could be heard vibrating through the air. Although it was incomparable to a holy temple, the cold mountains still send forth a lonesome air of Zen.

Wei Wuxian stood in front of the wall of discipline, gazing at it with a heavy heart. His eyes were fixated on some particular rules which were,

 'Your forehead headband reminds you of self-restraint.'

 'You are not allowed to use other people's headbands without authorization.'

 'You cannot use your headband in any other ways.'

  'The forehead ribbon means "to regulate oneself", and as such, very few are permitted by the owner to touch it, unless they are either family or cultivation partners.'

Wei Wuxian read these few rules again and again, making sure not to forget them ever in his life although he knew it was too late to regret now.

"The forehead ribbon is a sacred object to members of the Gusu Lan Clan. Lan An taught that one can only let go of all regulations when they are with the one they love and cherish. Thus, a member of the Gusu Lan Clan cannot easily give another person permission to touch their forehead ribbon, nor can they take it off as they please. Furthermore, they absolutely cannot tie it on someone else – unless that person is their 'fated person'. A-Xian, I know that you are unaware of this but..." Jiang Yanli had trailed off, unsure what she was supposed to say.

"I understand, Shijie." Wei Wuxian had said and hurried away from his sister as fast as he could, not wanting to be pulled into an emotional conversation which he wasn't yet ready to have.

Wei Wuxian replayed his sister's words all over again, gawking at the wall of Discipline. His heart felt very heavy. He just did not know what he was supposed to think anymore. His mind was all puzzled and confused.

He could hear Jiang Cheng calling out to him from a distant but he did not bother himself with replying. Jiang Cheng would come to him anyways. And as expected, Jiang Cheng yelled, finally reaching him,

"Wei Wuxian," he hissed, "What are you doing here? Your presence is requested at the main hall. Everyone are waiting for you. Come fast."

"Everyone?" Wei Wuxian asked, muddled.

"Yes. Father is here. A-niang is here too. Mother is actually fuming so you better be quiet and only talk when necessary. Do you get it?" Jiang Cheng elbowed him, getting him back to his senses.

"Mn." Wei Wuxian hummed, not knowing since when he had begun imitating Lan Zha- Lan Wangji.

"Let's go." Jiang Cheng nudged him.

Wei Wuxian sighed. He could no longer dwell on the past, he had to face the reality now!

With a bleeding heart, Wei Wuxian finally made his way to the main hall alongside Jiang Cheng. He bit his cheeks, trying to ground himself and not get carried away with his thoughts once again.

-

Everything had been going well except for that fateful day when he was punished for drinking alcohol and taking down Lan Wangji, Jiang Cheng and Nie Huisang with him. After the punishment was over, Lan Xichen had pitied him and had let him into the Cold Pond, to cure his wounds.