🔹𝕱𝖎𝖋𝖙𝖞 𝕹𝖎𝖓𝖊🔹

It took more than long time for them to find the cave.

The entrance was a very concealed hole hidden at the root of a banyan tree that was so huge, it would take three people with their arms stretched out to span its circumference. The reason they hadn't found it until now was because one: the hole was really tiny, not even half a zhang squared; and two: thick, intertwining roots and vines formed a firm wall that hid the hole from view. There was also a layer of dead leaves, mud, and stones on top of the wall, which only added to its invisibility.

After the dead leaves and mud were pulled away and the roots were hacked off, a dark black cavern was revealed.

The entrance led deep underground. Cold air leaked forth, making everyone shiver. Someone threw a stone inside, but no sound rang out.

Exuberant, Wen Chao shouted, "This has to be it! Quick, everyone inside!"

Wang LingJiao also chimed in: "Did you not hear what Young Master Wen said? Hurry up and get inside!"

Jin ZiXuan was standing at the front. He repressed his rage with great difficulty, lifted up the hem of his robes, and grabbed a thick and sturdy tree root. Without the slightest bit of hesitation, he jumped inside.

The remaining juniors followed him, inside the hole.

The youngsters who had been forcibly rounded up had all relinquished their swords, so they could only crawl down slowly. Sturdy roots about as thick as a person's wrist grew along the walls of the cavern.

Jiang Cheng used the sturdy roots to slowly lower himself down. Lan Wangji too was climbing down, very slowly.

Wen Chao shouted down from above, making sure that everything was safe down there before he stood on his sword, wrapped his arms around Wang LingJiao's waist, and leisurely made his way down. After that, the Wen sect disciples and servants under his command entered as well.

In a low voice, Jiang Cheng said, "Hopefully whatever he's hunting here isn't too tough. There's no way to know if this place has any other exits – if any kind of fierce monster shows itself inside this cave, that long tunnel will likely collapse. It'll be almost impossible to escape with our lives."

The others all held the same belief, constantly turning their heads to glance at the tiny dot of white light above their heads.

Wen Chao got off his sword and demanded, "Why are all you all stopped here? You still need me to teach you what you need to do? Get going!"

The group was herded forward into the depths of the cave.

Since they were forced to scout ahead, Wen Chao instructed his servants to give them some torches. The roof of the cave was high enough that it couldn't be illuminated by the torches. Lan Wangji paid careful attention to the echoes as they descended; he found that the further they went, the longer the interval between echoes.

The scouts at the front were all on high alert with their torches raised. After walking forward for who –knows-how-long, they finally arrived at an underground lake.

If placed on the surface, it would have been an enormous, expansive lake. The black waters were serene, and there were even many rocky islands of various sizes jutting out from the surface.

They were at the end of the road.

They'd reached the end, but the prey they'd been hunting still hadn't shown up. Hell, they didn't even know what it was. Everyone's hearts and minds were filled with suspicion and fear, their nerves frayed.

Wen Chao started getting irritated after not encountering his monstrous beast.

He spat out several curses before he was suddenly 'hit by a bright idea': "Find me someone, hang them up, and make them bleed. We'll draw out that beast."

A vast majority of monstrous beasts went crazy for blood – to the scent of blood, especially if that blood came from a helpless living being strung up and awaiting his slaughter.

Wang LingJiao let out a sound of agreement and immediately pointed to a girl. "He, then!"

That 'he' was none other than, Lan Wangji!

Wang LingJiao seemed quite conscious of her choice, as if she had mulled it over for a long time beforehand.

Wang Lingjiao knew since the moment Lan Wangji was brought in, captured, Wen Chao had been having his eyes on him. And she had done her best to keep Wen Chao away from Lan Wangji, not wanting to share him with anyone. But today, Wen Chao had gone out of her limits and had even spiked Lan Wangji's food to bed him. This had enraged her and now, it was a great opportunity to ruin this beautiful face so that, Wen Chao would fantasize of Lan Wangji anymore!

"This... This person? How about you pick someone else." Wen Chao stuttered, remembering Wei Wuxian's words from earlier.

Wang LingJiao, feeling wronged, snapped, "Why do I need to pick someone else? I picked this one – are you unwilling to part with him?"

"Don't be silly. Why would I be unwilling? It's up to you – whatever JiaoJiao says, goes! It's just that..."

"Hold him down!" Wang Lingjiao commanded, not listening to the rest of Wen Chao's words.

Lan Wangji knew why Wang Lingjiao has chosen him but he was quite confused why Wen Chao was so scared to use him as the bait. And to his utter shock, despite him being very weak at the moment, he did not feel any fear. He felt as if someone was protecting him!

'Wei Ying,' his heart cried, 'Where are you?'

Lan Wangji knew that Wei Wuxian wasn't here but the closer Wen guards came, the more he fekt secured and protected.

The more he felt, he was safe and sound!