Chapter 46

"Y-You can't be...you guys never...," Sasha looks at me in confusion and stress.

"We may have on the day you went on your first date," I say, looking away from Sasha with embarrassment. There was a pause as Sasha stared deeply into my face and without saying a word, she dashed out the door. Was Sasha angry at me? Sometimes, Sasha is just full of surprises.

I sat on the bathroom floor for 15 minutes staring at the tiles. I began counting them in boredom. I should really get a test, but I don't have the energy to move. Even if I was pregnant, how would I tell everyone? How would they all react? Would they support me? I mean, it's not like I'm a teenager who got pregnant. I am a grown adult who is pregnant with another adult who is two years older than me. 

As I kept thinking about these thoughts, Sasha ran back into the room and slammed the door open. 

"Oh my god, what in the world Sasha?" I say as I shiver from getting startled. 

"I got the test for you," She says, panting like she ran a marathon. 

"Oh my god, Sasha!!! I love you so much!" I say. Sasha threw me the test and closed the door. I sighed and looked at the pregnancy test. Two came in one pack and I kept staring at them. I was still scared to be pregnant. I sighed and ripped the pack open and took one test out. I put the pack near the sink. My hands were shivering as I held the pregnancy test. Am I really doing this right now? Kaoru and I were so reckless...

I remove the plastic cap to expose the absorbent window. I pulled my pants down and sat on the toilet and point the absorbent tip directly into the urine stream. I take the sample for at least 7-10 seconds, to ensure that an adequate sample is collected by the testing device.

After I did those steps, I waited for a while...I really did not want to look at my test. What if it is positive? What am I going to explain? Oh god, I have to go through pregnancy! And I've had my body fit for a while, that will be all gone too! 

"It's been a while, did the test work?" Sasha asks, knocking on the door. 

"I didn't look at the test, yet," I say as my voice trembles. 

"Girl, just look at it already," Sasha says in an eager yet serious tone. I took another deep breath, flushed the toilet, and pulled the pregnancy test in front of me. My hands tremble and I drop the pregnancy test when I saw two lines on it. My eyes slowly fill with tears. I slowly waddle to the door and open it. 

"What did it say?" Sasha asks me. Without responding, I burst into tears and start crying hard. I wrapped my hands around Sasha and wet her shirt with my tears. 

"I'm pregnant!!" I muffle into her shirt. "We were so careful, but it still happened!" 

"Sshh, let's go to the living room," Sasha says softly as we both walk there. When we both sat down I sniffle and she sighs. 

"Listen, Carla, don't think of this as a sin, you're not pregnant at sixteen. You're an adult,"  Sasha says. 

"I-I know that b-bu-," She interrupts me. 

"You're twenty-four! It's fine for you to get pregnant. The only difference is that you weren't planning to get pregnant. It is fine and many other ladies were pregnant at twenty-four. 

"T-true," I say as my tears slowly stopped flowing. "I-I'm not concerned of that, I'm concerned of what my family and other friends would say. Importantly, what Kaoru would say!"

"They would all support you. In a miracle, if they don't, then you have me. I will be by your side and if I have to, be the dad of your baby. I won't leave you cause you are pregnant. 75% of me is happy for you. The other 25% is just angry that you guys were reckless. 100%of me will be angry if you try to get an abortion, I still want to be an aunt," Sasha says in a simple tone. I chuckle at her saying and smile softly at her. "Carla, I am here for you, and yes...your brother will definitely get angry, but that doesn't mean he won't be on your side to help you out. You're overthinking this."

"But, the number of people who have died from pregnancy, the number of children in their stomachs who have died, an-," I say, stressing out even more. 

"Do you smoke?" Sasha asks me. 

No," I respond. 

"Drink?" Sasha asks. 

"Rarely, like only three times," I say.

"Well, that's only like a whine. Not the effect ones," Sasha says, rolling her eyes. "You're healthy too! And we will help you maintain your health and I assure you, you and your baby will be fine."

"But the pain," I whine. "And what about the amount of weight I will gain?"

"You're pushing my limits, Carla," Sasha says, looking irritated. 

"My bad," I say, chuckling. Soon, we heard the door opening and I quickly wipe my tears off. 

"Act cool, I need some more time," I whisper to Sasha. She nods immediately and we both shoot a smile at the door. 

"Welcome home guys!" I say, smiling hard when Miya, Langa, and my mom come inside. 

"Got no time! I and Langa gotta help the reckless loser to skate," Miya says as he and Langa run upstairs. 

"Don't call him that!" Langa says. The two change quickly and raced out the door. 

"Children, don't lose energy even when they come from school," Mama says, sighing with a laugh. 

"True," I say. 

"Well, I'm gonna go ahead and take a shower," mama says, taking her towel and going into the bathroom. 

"Well, how long are you thinking of hiding it from your mother?" Sasha asks. 

"CARLA HASEGAWA! GET YOUR ASS HERE RIGHT NOW!" I hear my mama yell. Sasha and I turned to each other with our eyes wide and whisper scream together;

"THE PREGNANCY TEST!"