Chapter 111

"Old Fourth, what are you cutting banana leaves for?" Second Brother and Third Brother just carried a basket of ricefield eels. It wasn't much, like a few. After getting off work, the two of them went to check the basket they had set up yesterday.

There was some harvest.

"Qing He said she'll make a sponge cake." Zhou Qing Bai said.

"Oh, Old Fourth, you're living pretty well." Second Brother couldn't help but envy.

Sponge cake, he wanted to eat it too.

The corner of Zhou Qing Bai's mouth slightly raised: "If Second Brother wants some, ask Second Sister-in-law to make it for you."

"Your Second Sister-in-law live prudently, so how could she possibly do that?" Second Brother responded.

"It's better to be a bit more frugal in life." Third Brother said instead.

"It's just a little cake." Zhou Qing Bai didn't mind much.

It wasn't like the family can't afford to eat cakes. And also, he wanted to eat it too. His wife's culinary skill was excellent and the things she made were never bad.

He separated from his two elder brothers after that.

Second Brother and Third Brother returned home and divided the eels equally.

"Da Wa's mother really knows how to eat. Just now, we encountered Old Fourth cutting banana leaves and said that they are going to make sponge cake to eat." Third Brother mentioned.

Third Sister-in-law didn't mind: "What's wrong with this? It's just a cake. If you want to eat, I will make you one."

Third Brother shook his head with a smile. Forget it. This year, his wife was pregnant again and her months are getting big. By then, it'll be necessary to eat good meals during the post-natal confinement. Better to save a bit.

Second Brother didn't bring it up on his return because there was no point.

In the evening, Lin Qing He made a steamed red date sponge cake. The red dates were cut in half, pitted, and embellished on top of the sponge cake.

The sponge cake was brown in color because brown sugar was added in. The sponge cake tasted really fluffy and soft, especially scrumptious.

Lin Qing He made a big one. She cut out a quarter and asked Da Wa to give it his grandpa and grandma to respect them.

It was after it was delivered, did other people in old Zhou's family knew that Fourth's wife had made such a delicious cake.

"If you want to eat, ask your mother to make it for you. Don't come to grandpa and grandma. Grandpa and grandma don't have much." Mother Zhou waved her hands and sent away the group of grandchildren that had gathered over.

Then the two of them ate by themselves.

This was Fourth Family's filial piety to them. They mustn't divide it out, otherwise, it would be gaining favor with Fourth's wife's thing. What would Fourth's wife think then?

Besides, even if the two of them eat up this cake, it's not going overboard at all.

Second Sister-in-law's son, Zhou Xia went home and demanded for one.

Second Sister-in-law was extremely irked: "That family don't know when to stop. Every day she finds ways to make trouble for me!"

Second Brother was puzzled: "Our son wants to eat sponge cake, so why are you bringing up Fourth's wife?"

"If it weren't for her, what would my son be pestering? If she wants to send the cake, just send the cake. But Da Wa had to shout all the way, fearing that others wouldn't know about it!" Second Sister-in-law lashed out.