ˡᵒᵛᵉˡʸ ⁻ ʳᵉᵃᵖᵉʳ

ⁿᵒᵗ ᵐʸ ⁱᵐᵃᵍᵉ

ˡᵒᵒˢᵉˡʸ ᵇᵃˢᵉᵈ ᵒᶠᶠ ᵒᶠ ᵍʳᵉᵉᵏ ᵐʸᵗʰᵒˡᵒᵍʸ

. . .

The forbidden lake. The only lake in the heavenly realm was where she dwelled. After an incident many years ago, she was never allowed to leave the lake nor was anyone else allowed to visit her. Hers was a lonely existence. 

It wasn't her fault. She didn't choose to be born that beautiful. She didn't choose to be the Goddess of Love. If she could have one thing, she would want to be normal, a human. She would want to be anything but the wretchedly beautiful creature she was now.

The younger gods feared her. The older gods were disgusted by her. They called her a temptress by nature. They even spread a rumor that the word "love" in her title stood for level of violence. No one dared question their false accusations.

So she lived in solitude, enduring the harsh words that constantly echoed in her lake. Until an unfortunate god stumbled upon her domain.

"He could have at least given me directions. Now I'm lost. . ."

The nonchalant voice resonated against the water's surface, causing the goddess to jump. It had been so long since she had heard someone so close. She withdrew her hand from the myrtle flower that she had been tending to and looked around for the source of the voice. A figure could be seen from beyond the trees that encased her lake. The figure was dressed completely in black and looked deathly pale. The goddess stood, attempting to get a better look. The fabric of her chiton brushed audibly against the water as she shifted to stand. 

The figure grew still and so did she. A bright blue light pierced the greenery around them. She gasped at the sudden light and covered her eyes instantly, scared and intrigued all the same. When she collected herself and opened her eyes, she was surprised by the position of the figure. He was right in front of her. 

The reason he had appeared so pale was because he was a skeleton, quite literally. A smile was permanently sealed on his face. His eye sockets contained little white lights that resembled eyes. They met her own curious, eyes. For a second, they just looked at each other, but she quickly shook herself out of her stupor. 

Her hands shot up to cover her face, and she closed her eyes again. "Please don't look at me. . ." She pleaded, not wanting to lose the only person she had seen in decades. The skeleton remained silent for a time, his eye lights never leaving her covered face. Suddenly, a bony hand lightly touched hers and gently tugged her hands from her face. She kept her eyes closed, fighting to get her hands back to where they belonged, but his grip was tight and sure.

She whimpered slightly, know that it was only a matter of time for him to fall in love like all the rest. She "corrupted" so many with her looks and sent everything into disarray. Gods and acolytes alike had abandoned their posts. They devoted themselves to her, stuck in a trance. It took some gods years to recover. All it took was a single look at her.

"Why're you acting so neurotic? Have you never met a skeleton before, heh?"

Her brows furrowed in confusion. Ever so slightly, she opens one of her eyes and gazes at him. His eye lights were fixed on hers. Her cheeks grew flushed. "A-are you not in love with me?" She asked cautiously. The skeleton looked at her oddly, so she continued. "Anyone who lays eyes on me is destined to fall in love with me. I'm the most cursed goddess there is." She averted her eyes, recalling all of the sad years she spent alone. 

Surprisingly, he started to laugh. Her cheeks became a deeper red. Is he laughing at me? He loosened his grip on her wrists and allowed them to fall to her sides. "W-what's so funny?" Her voice was hesitant. Part of her didn't want to know the answer, but her curiosity got the best of her. 

He placed his bony hand on her shoulder in a familiar way causing her to jump slightly. His laughter died down. "I like your confidence, but at least take me out to dinner first, heh heh." The goddess looked around, unsure of how to respond. He smiled widely at her. "You can call me Reaper. Nice to meet ya." 

She stood awkwardly. "Y/n. L-likewise. . ." Her slight stutter annoyed her, but she was too wrapped up in the situation to care. Reaper seemed to notice her confusion and decided to clarify after letting out a short laugh. "You said anyone who laid eyes on you would fall in love, huh," he pointed at his face with his free hand. "No eyeballs wins me a free pass, I guess."

It took a few seconds for Y/n to understand his sentiment. She opened her mouth to respond, but promptly closed it. While she tried to think of an answer, Reaper released her shoulder and wandered over to the lake. He sat by the water's edge and looked out across it. Y/n followed after him silently and sat beside him. Every once in a while she would steal a glance to see if he was still there. The whole situation was new and scary for her.

They stayed quiet for what seemed like hours. Y/n brushed her hand through the water and pet some of the fish that had somehow survived there. She did her best to take care of them after all. Reaper didn't move much, and she thought he fell asleep at some point. She was startled when he reached out to touch one of the flowers growing by the water. His bony finger barely touched a petal, and it shriveled up.

Y/n yelped and reached out to the flower. It was clearly dead, but she lifted it's petals in a futile attempt at restoration. The skeleton shifted away from her slightly and had a dark look on his face. The goddess reached out to him, but he flinched away. She withdrew her hand and looked away from him. 

The silence was no longer peaceful. Rather, it was tense and uncomfortable. Y/n wasn't sure what to do or how to comfort Reaper. He remained quiet and held his hands stiffly in his lap. Y/n wasn't sure what to do. She was still getting used to having someone around her that wasn't madly in love with her.

Her eyes wandered the ground around her, and there it was. She picked it up gingerly and tried to get Reaper's attention. He was unresponsive for a little bit, but eventually got annoyed and turned to her. "What is it?" His voice was prickly and unfriendly. 

Y/n shifted with discomfort, but steeled her emotions and presented it to him. It was a conch shell. The animal living inside of it had long since abandoned it; however, its beauty remained. His eye lights lingered on it for a while, but he made no move to take it. "It's a conch shell," she paused and searched his expression. "I. . . wasn't sure how to comfort you. This was the first thing that came to my mind." He didn't say a thing. 

She sighed and placed the shell beside her. "Sorry. It was a stupid idea. . ." Y/n stared dejectedly at the ground and fiddled with the strange water plants that grew near the lake. What was I thinking? He probably thinks I'm weird now. 

"This is a conch shell, right? It's lovely."

Startled, Y/n lifted her gaze to Reaper. He held the shell in the palm of his bony hand and looked at it with mild interest. There was still a look of sadness in his expression, but it was progress.

Y/n smiled gently at him. Maybe I did make a friend after all.

. . . 

I don't think that this one was really good, but I wanted to publish something for you guys.

I felt bad for not posting in a while.

I hope you guys liked it :)

ᶜʰᵃʳˡᵒᵗᵗᵉ