CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT

I shot up from my uncomfortable sleeping position, looking around my surroundings. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and heard a crashing sound drifting in from the open window. I guessed this was what had woken me up.

I got up off the sofa where me and the boys had fallen asleep and looked out onto the street below. I heard shouts and a struggle before another crash made me grab my wand off the coffee table and run out the door.

I rushed down the stairs into the shop and unlocked the spells on the front door. Just as I stepped out onto the street, three men emerged from Ollivander's across from where I stood.

I raised my wand and stunned one of them before they even realized I was there. As his friend flew away and collapsed against a wall, the other one holding onto Ollivander turned to me, snarling. I staggered slightly when I looked into the eyes of Fenrir Greyback.

Two more men emerged from Ollivander's wand shop behind Greyback and Ollivander, the man himself.

"Let him go and I'll let you off with a warning," I threatened, my wand hand as steady as ever while I pointed it at them. "Go, child. Run while you still can," Ollivander croaked in a hoarse voice.

"Listen to the old fool, girl," one of the Death Eaters barked at me, grabbing onto Ollivander's other arm.

All still conscious Death Eaters raised their wands, and three spells came flying towards me. After the hit of four stuns last school term, I had learned to not try to block three spells with a shield at once.

I put up a blocking spell and did a tuck and roll to the side, avoiding the other two spells. As I landed in a crouching position again, I shot out two spells, unarming one Death Eater and knocking the other unconscious.

I ducked as Greyback shot out another curse my way, cutting right by my head and frying some of my hair. I patted it quickly to put out the flames, but the distraction gave Greyback a second to rush me. His claws out, he raised his arm over his head and swiped down harshly, slashing my shoulder and down my arm.

I yelled out in pain as I raised my wand to get him off. "Come on, let's go! Forget her, he wanted the wand maker!" I looked around Greyback and saw the wizard I had disarmed, struggling to get back on his feet.

Greyback let out a growl but went back to Ollivander's side. He Apparated away with him as I shot spell after spell at them to try and stop them from leaving.

The other man brought the other unconscious wizards to him and Disapparated, sending a ball of fire my way before he disappeared. I blocked it with a wall of water, letting out a groan of frustration as I saw the empty street in front of me.

I turned around and punched the wall behind me, instantly regretting it as pain seared up my arm.

"Allie?!" I spun around and saw a frazzled looking Fred appear, looking around frantically. "Fred, it's fine. But they got away," I gestured to the spot they had all disappeared from with a glum expression.

Fred ran forwards and pulled me into a hug. As he put a hand to the back of my head, he pulled back just as quickly. He turned my head to the side and inspected my scorched hair, leaving almost half of it shoulder length instead of reaching my waist anymore. His expression turned hard, and his hard eyes came back to my face.

"What happened?"

I explained what I had witnessed, his expression turning harder at every word. We turned to the wand shop, the shattered front windows making it easy to climb through. I stepped over the broken glass and looked around the empty shop. Wand boxes were either empty or just completely missing.