CHAPTER ONE

Allison's POV

Damn.

I forgot to close the blinds last night when I went to sleep. I let out a groan as I pried my eyes open.

I squinted into the bright room, sunlight streaming in from the windows in the slanted roof above me. I slowly got up and cracked open one of the windows, letting in the fresh morning air.

This summer was starting off quite nice. Not a single cloud in the sky. And in England for that matter.

My window, being on a slanted roof, made it easy to climb out and onto the roof when the weather was nice, or on starry nights. But now, as I opened the window, there was already someone up there. A Magpie turned towards me and the open window at the sudden disturbance.

"Morning Mister Magpie. How are we today?" I say as I tipped my imaginary hat at him. I smiled and turned away from him.

I was planning on going for a visit to see the Tonks family that day. It had been a while since I'd been back to see Andromeda and I missed her. You see, Ted and Andromeda Tonks took me in when I was 14 years old, having me grow up with their daughter Nymphadora, or Tonks as she preferred. I preferred Nym.

I attended the same school she went to, Hogwarts, but I never finished my studies. After I completed my fourth year, I had never been back to the Castle grounds. Andromeda understood that I didn't want to go back to school, and never pressed the matter. Ted, instead, helped me with my studies from home.

Even though I didn't want to return to Hogwarts, I still wanted to have some sort of an education to take with me out into the world. So, I completed my O.W.L.s from home, with Ted calling in some favours with some friends in the Examinations Authority.

But I had never completed my seventh year N.E.W.T.s.

Getting ready for my day, I grabbed the clothes I planned on wearing and left down the steps from my bedroom.

I loved my apartment.

I'd been living in my own apartment for the past three years, and I couldn't be happier. Before I left home, it never really felt like it was my home. As loving as Andromeda and Ted always were, I still saw myself as their guest. But here, here it was all mine.

I lived in a loft-style apartment in London. Having the kitchen, living room and bathroom on the first floor, then stairs that went straight up to my bedroom area. It's more like a platform than a second floor, really.

There was no wall separating the downstairs from the upstairs, just the height. My bedroom stairs came down just between the back of my couch and the kitchen breakfast bar. The couch, which was facing the living room, acted as a border between the kitchen and the living room.

The upstairs loft came over as a ceiling over the living room area, whereas the roof in the kitchen went all the way to the top. It was a proper 'what you see is what you get' kind of place.

You entered the front-door, and the open plan kitchen went to your right. There were two doors on the left-hand-side wall. One was a cupboard, the other was the bathroom.

The kitchen counter went into an L-shape from the wall and out onto the floor, creating a breakfast bar which seated three at the end. Beyond the breakfast bar, was the living room.

Very simple, with only the essentials. Big, comfy couch, lots of pillows and throw blankets, a skinny bookshelf along one wall, and crates upon crates with records along the other wall and any other available surface. I even got a TV last year, mounted above my fireplace. I learned how movies worked from my years living with Ted, who even though was a wizard, was born from a Muggle family. He was very good at educating both me and Nym on all thing's muggle over the years.