CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

"You've lost your minds," I mumbled to Fred as the swamp reached dangerous heights. All three of us ran for it, taking sharp turns in the hallways.

"Allie, you still need to stay out of trouble," Fred panted.

"Quick, head into the secret passage. So, no one spots you running with us. We're heading for the Entrance Hall to the one-eyed-witch, meet us there."

I jumped in through the secret passage he had pointed out. I heard a lot of screams and running footsteps out in the hallway as the swamp they had created grew.

I slowly followed the secret passage and found myself on the second floor. I quickly checked that the hallway was empty and headed off in the direction of the Entrance Hall.

I came to an abrupt halt when I spotted Fred and George standing in the middle of a circle of students and teachers, all looking at them. In front of them stood the toad up on the stairs. Fred looked over everyone's heads and quickly spotted me on the opposite stairs, sending me a wink.

There were a few people covered in the aftermath the Portable Swamp. Umbridge had just asked them a question and Fred's gazed moved to her. I ran down the rest of the stairs and broke forward to the front line of spectators.

"Pretty amusing, yeah," Fred answered her in a light tone.

Filch came hobbling down the stairs and reached Umbridge. "I've got the form, Headmistress," he said, waving a piece of parchment at her. "I've got the form and I've got the whips waiting... oh, let me do it now..." he said gleefully. I swallowed at that.

I know they had planned for if, or when, they got caught, I just wasn't ready yet. Fred turned to look at me for a second, sending me a smile. I gave him a slight nod, to tell him that he had to do whatever was necessary.

"You two are about to learn what happens to wrongdoers in my school," she said narrowing her eyes and her horrendous smile spreading wider across her face.

"You know what? I don't think we are." Fred turned to George then.

"George, I think we've outgrown full-time education." "Yeah," George chuckled, "I've been feeling that way myself."

"Time to test out talents in the real world d'you reckon?" Fred asked him, everyone in the crowd held a bated breath now, staring at the twins.

"Definitely."

They both raised their wands and cried out, "Accio brooms!" There went a loud crash from somewhere in the castle, and then both brooms shot around the corner, the chain still dangling from George's.

"We won't be seeing you," Fred called to Umbridge. "Yeah, don't bother to keep in touch," George continued. As the had both mounted their brooms, they to a look around at the silent crowd.

"If anyone fancies buying a Portable Swamp, as demonstrated upstairs, come to number ninety-three, Diagon Alley – Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, Our new premises!" Fred called out to the crowd. "Special discounts to Hogwarts students who swear they're going to use our products to get rid of this old bat," George added as he pointed at Umbridge.

"STOP THEM!" she shrieked. Members from the Inquisitorial Squad stepped towards them, closing in, but they quickly kicked off from the ground, flying above us all before they reached them. Fred looked up over Umbridge's head.

"Give her hell from us, Peeves," he called to the poltergeist. Peeves then, surprisingly, swept his hat from his head and sprang to a salute to the twins. We all cheered as they floated out the front doors into freedom.

They were legends.

Absolute legends.