CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

I didn't know what to do with myself now. I wasn't going to feel sad. I told myself I wasn't. I shut my feelings off completely and went for a walk. I don't know how long I wandered around aimlessly, but I ended up back in the common room at some time.

I was lounging on one of the couches reading, or trying to read, when the portrait opened, and a group of people rushed in.

"WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?! HAVE WE ENTERED ANOTHER REALITY WHERE EVERYTHING IS WRONG?!" George shrieked as soon as he came in. I looked up and saw all the girls from my dorm, excluding Angelina, plus George and Lee rushing towards me.

I placed my bookmark down to the page I was on, the exact spot the bookmark had been before I opened it. I sat up and looked at the group.

"What's up?" I tried for a casual tone. "What's up is that we just saw Fred in Hogsmeade and went to say hello to the two of you, only to find that he wasn't with you he was with another skank!" Amelia roared. I recoiled at her loud tone. She was rarely aggressive, something everyone else seemed surprised by too as they shot looks at her.

I just nodded and waited for them to continue. "Well?!" Lucy questioned, raising her voice to match Amelia's. "Why is Fred out with some other girl? On Valentine's Day?! On your bloody birthday?" I picked up my book again so I wouldn't have to look any of them in the eye.

"We broke up," I shrugged, turning to my recent page.

George grabbed my book and tore it out of my hands, flinging it across the room. "SINCE WHEN?!"

"Since this morning when he said he had asked someone if they would go out with him and they said yes," I snapped, eyes matching my cold tone. I took a deep breath to calm myself, chanting a mantra in my head that had been going for my entire walk around the castle this day. Suppress, suppress, suppress. Moody taught me well.

Lucy was fuming and Amelia looked like she was in deep thought, rubbing her hand over her mouth. "Why? Why would he ask Clara Walker to Hogsmeade? Why would he break up with you to be with her?"

I shrugged again. "I mean... they have history," I tried.

They all looked at me with furrowed eyebrows at that. "They don't have history?" Lucy said, disgusted by the idea. "Yeah. George is the one she went to the Yule Ball with in our sixth year, not Fred," Alicia continued.

I looked up at them. "Well, I guess they had more going on than you guys knew about," I suggested, not wanting to think about it in the slightest.

George shook his head. "Fred would've said something to me." I slumped into the couch further, crossing my arms getting annoyed by this conversation now. "He wasn't planning on telling you the first time he kissed me," I reminded him with a glare.

"That was different. He actually loves you!"

I laughed loudly. "Really? And how did you come to that conclusion?" I retorted sarcastically, my laughter sounding unrecognizable even to me. I felt glass pieces come off in my chest and fall into the heavy pit in my stomach.

Love? If this was love, I didn't want it.

I had managed just fine up until the day I moved into Grimmauld Place and was introduced to this new type of life.

George sighed, dragging both his hands down his face before looking at me with a sorrowful look.

"Al', I'm really sor-" I jumped up off the couch and stood in front of him, glaring up. "Don't," I warned him. "It's done. It's over. No use dawdling on it now," I said sternly, looking from each of them before walking away.