CHAPTER SIXTY-FOUR

The first night back teachers are always incredibly busy, and they don't think we'll step out of line and cause trouble as soon as we get back, so naturally, we stepped out of line the first night back.

Taking advantage of the day, I got the Slytherins to meet me in the Room of Requirement as dinner came to an end. We had grown our Slytherin group since the start of the meetings, Daphne Greengrass and Tracey Davis joining the meetings now too.

As we finished, I dreaded the news I had to share with Blaise.

"Zabini, wait a second, would you?" I saw Draco stop by the door too as Blaise came back to me. Fuck. How do you even tell someone something like this?

"Well, there's no easy way to say this so I'm just going to say it. I saw Lucy over break. You were right she had been with Dylan. But they got spotted. He... I'm sorry Blaise but – he didn't make it."

His face went slack, all life disappearing from him in that second. I reached a hand out to stroke his arm in comfort but he quickly spun around, storming out.

"He just needs a minute alone." I looked up and saw Draco was still here. "Can you keep an eye on him? Just make sure that he knows he's not alone."

"Course," he nodded. "But uh, I actually stayed for another reason." He pulled a present out of his robes and handed it to me, a card on top.

"Dude, we said no presents this year. How is this fair?" I complained, pushing the box back at him. He chuckled and held his hands up, refusing to take it back.

"I know we did. That's not from me." I looked down at the letter and didn't recognize the handwriting. "You open that, I'm gonna go make sure Blaise is alright. See ya, Cass."

And then he was gone. I sat down on the floor, placing the box in front of me and then pulling the letter out.

I should've guessed who it was from. Because it was addressed to Cassiopeia Malfoy.

Nevertheless, I opened the envelope and read through it.

Cassiopeia,

Merry Christmas

I know this is delayed by several years and I hope I can explain myself to you some day, but for now, I want to make up for all the Christmases and birthdays I've missed.

It's been almost ten years since you last lived in this house and there is not a day that goes by that I don't miss you.

But I had to keep you safe. I did not wish the life I was given, to be forced upon you. I wanted you to have the freedom to choose your own path, just like Andromeda did.

Don't be mad at her for not telling you all of this, I made her swear not to. The only way to keep you safe was for everyone to believe you were dead.

But you're not safe anymore.

Draco said he could get this to you and I'm not going to question how. It's best no one knows. I was going to give you this on your birthday when you turned of age, but seeing as I missed that, I wanted to give this to you now.

So happy birthday sweetheart.

I love you,

Mum

My hands were shaking when I finished reading her letter. There were so many questions running around in my head it felt like it was spinning.

Gently, I placed the letter back in the envelope and picked up the present. I untied the ribbon on it gently and lifted the lid off.