CHAPTER FIFTY-SEVEN

We all stood in the back garden of Harry's childhood home, waiting for Moody to count us off. Mundungus stood between me and Moody, ready for departure. He looked rather ill under the streetlights gleam.

"Good luck, everyone. See you all in about an hour. On the count of three. One... Two... THREE."

I kicked off hard from the ground, synchronized with all the other people on brooms around me. We lifted into the air, soaring up into the clouds of the night sky. I heard Dung let out a whimper beside me. I turned to look at his, or Harry's, pale, sweating face.

Just as I turned my eyes forwards again, I swerved to the left to dodge a curse coming my way.

I spun around completely, taking a broom-cartwheel, coming up next to Mundungus and raised my wand to block the spell that was coming towards him.

We were ambushed.

Over thirty Death Eaters in black hoods flew around us on brooms, shooting out spells and curses in every direction. I looked up just in time to see the fire of the exhaust from the motorcycle fly away.

Good. Moody had warned Hagrid to get away immediately if we got attacked while on the move.

I heard a scream to my right that sounded a lot like Hermione, and I had to stop myself from going to help her. Mundungus was my responsibility now. I had to shove the thought of Fred being in this mess far away as three Death Eaters approached us, jets of light erupting from each wand.

"Allison!" I heard Moody yell. As I shot a stun at a Death Eater, I turned to Mad-Eye. He inclined his head upwards. I grabbed Dung's arm and shifted our brooms straight up. The Death Eaters followed, shooting out more spells. The back of my broom caught fire, but Moody extinguished it immediately.

We made eye contact and Moody lifted one hand, drawing a loop in the air.

At the same time, we both left Mundungus for a second and flipped our brooms backwards, diving down again in a loop.

Wands raised, we knocked two of three Death Eaters off the brooms and as we came closer to the third one, I held my arm straight out. I smacked my arm into his chest, holding it steady at the impact, sending him toppling off his broom.

We turned up again and joined Mundungus. A Thestral holding Bill Weasley and a Harry disguised Fleur joined our side, blocking curses from four more Death Eaters. Just as I raise my wand and blocked a jet of green light heading for Mundungus, a cloud of black and green smoke entered the chaos.

Mundungus let out a cry and pointed at the cloud.

I kicked my leg out, kicking the front of a Death Eaters broom, sending him spinning off into the clouds, before shifting my eyes to the cloud as well.

But it wasn't a cloud at all. In the darkness, was a pale white face and glowing red eyes gleaming through the darkness.

Voldemort.

"Mundungus, don't you dare!" I heard Moody warn in a harsh yell. I turned to my left just in time to see Mundungus disappear with a well-known crack.

He had abandoned us. Spineless git.

I looked up again and shot a spell at the Death Eater closest to Voldemort. He didn't notice the spell coming from behind him and quickly slumped forwards on his broom, knocked out and plummeting to the ground.

I looked up and felt the cold, clammy hands of fear take over my bones as I met Voldemort's snake-like, red eyes. I saw the sadistic smile take over his features and I felt determination in every nerve of my body.