CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

But there was no victory part that night. There was no party at all. As we entered the common room we were hit with the news that Fred, George and Harry had been banned for life from playing Quidditch.

Apparently Umbridge had written to her dear Minister and he had given her the authority to be in charge of any and all punishments going forward. Angelina looked like she was in physical pain as she shuffled off to bed. I got up from trying to calm down Fred and followed her to our dorm.

Monday for breakfast I headed down to the Great Hall with Fred, George and Lee. We all came to collective halt when we saw that Hagrid was once again seated at the Staff Table. I greeted him as a stranger and he kept the act going for once. 

Seeing Hagrid had put a smile on my face, but then my free period arrived and all that was washed away.

I was sat in the library trying to finish my Transfiguration homework for tomorrow when someone sat down in the chair in front of me. I looked up, startled at the interruption, only to see Clara had joined me.

"Oh hey Clar - " "Save it," she cut me off. I looked up, not even a little surprised at the turn of events. I knew I couldn't trust her. I had to tell Lucy that her instincts were spot on. Gone was the kind, smiley demeanour she had kept up these last couple of months. Now she looked furious and ready to kill me. 

"Get on with it then," I waved a hand at her, giving her the floor, seriously bored that she had become so predictable.

She looked offended that I didn't react to her threatening tone. I stared back at her with a bored expression. 

"Look. I don't know who you think you are but ever since you came back here you've been stepping on toes left and right. So I figured it was about time I enlightened you on where you stand on the food chain at this school." I chuckled at her dramatics, leaning back in my chair.

"Oh, please. do tell."

"I heard Pansy Parkinson talking about how you have been running around with Malfoy in the last couple of weeks. What? It's not enough to steal my guy, you had to take her man too?" Her voice was rising and the librarian shushed her.

I furrowed my brows in confusion. "Parkinson lives in a deluded state where she pretends like Draco would ever lay a finger on her. I don't know why you care so much though. Didn't know you and Parkinson were that close." I leaned forwards and rested my hands flatly on the table, leaning towards her as my expression hardened. 

"As for 'your man', the only person I've been in any proximity to since I got here has been Fred. And if he's the man you're referring to, you're just as deluded as Pansy."

She laughed bitterly at that. "In case you forgot, we were all here together for years before you showed up. You don't know a thing about what happened between me and Fred before you left. And I highly doubt he's shared that information with you." A sadistic smirk spread across her lips at that. 

I rolled my eyes at her. "Yeah, whatever makes you sleep at night Walker. Now if you've said your piece, kindly piss off. Your voice is giving me a migraine." She abruptly stood and glared down at me. "I've kept my distance because I figured he was just having some fun with you. You know, the cool new girl, but I'm done staying in my lane. Give him up, or I'll be sure to remind him of all the fun we used to have together," she threatened.

I cocked my head to the side, looking up at her. "Are you threatening me?" I asked calmly.

"Does it sound like it?" I chuckled lowly, rising from my seat and leaning in close to her face. "If you have to answer a question with a question, that means you have no faith in your answer. I'm sorry if you wanted Fred. And I'm sorry if you have this fantasy past with him. But let me make it clear to you."