CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

Monday morning Dolores Umbridge gave us all the cold shower we deserved. We had been far too happy this weekend, I thought. Something had to be coming. Ginny called me a pessimist but then Monday morning there was a sign, hanging on the notice board in the common. All groups and activities have been disbanded.

"Come on, let's find Harry," Ginny said rushing out of the portrait hole, the rest of us on her heels.

We spotted Harry, Ron and Hermione just as they sat down at the Gryffindor table. Ginny and Neville rushed forward, and I rolled my eyes. Have these people never been part of a secret organization before?

"Did you see it?"

"D'you reckon she knows?"

"What are we going to do?"

I reached the group and hissed in a low voice. "Would you idiots act natural?! Sit down and eat breakfast. You look like you're up to something."

They all sat down around their friends then. I sat down beside George and started getting some breakfast onto both our plates as he stared at Harry.

"We're going to do it anyway, of course," Harry said quietly. I grinned.

"Knew you'd say that," George cheered.

"The prefects as well?" Fred eyed his brother and Hermione.

"Of course," Hermione said coolly. I sent her a smile and she winked at me.

"Here come Ernie and Hannah Abbott," Ron then announced. "And those Ravenclaw blokes and Smith... no one looks very spotty." I didn't understand what he meant with the last bit, but Hermione and I had the same fearful thought. I quickly jumped out of my seat and went over to the Hufflepuffs.

"Hey, Ernie, mind if I sit with you for breakfast?" I called sweetly, grabbing his and Hannah's arms before pulling them down to the Hufflepuff long table.

"Uh – Allie, right?" Ernie said looking at me with a confused look. I smiled brightly to him as Hannah looked around Ernie to me as well.

There were no Hufflepuffs seated close to us on the table, so it was relatively safe to talk.

"Hey sorry about that. Yeah, I'm Allie. Allie White."

"Ernie MacMillan."

"Hannah Abbott."

"Pleasure. Listen guys, that notice has everyone a little on edge, so best not to go up and talk to each other in big groups while teachers and others are present, all right?" I gestured my head slightly towards the staff table behind the two and they nodded.

"Great. So, we're still planning on meeting up. It's now officially become against school rules, so I understand if you –"

"No," Ernie interrupted me. "No, this is more important than some stupid rule she made up. We have to do this." Hannah nodded along, smiling at me.

"Okay great. So best course of action, don't approach anyone from the group. When we've decided on a meeting, we'll find you and inform you alright?"

"If someone asks you about the whereabouts of anyone from the group, you know nothing."

"Have you found a place for us to meet up yet?" Ernie whispered, leaning in a little too closely. I casually leaned my head a bit further away from him. "No, not yet, but Harry and them will inform us when they've got something, don't worry. As long as you're both still on board, that's all we need to know for now."

I reached for a satsuma from the fruit dish in front of me as they both nodded and went back to normal conversation. I joined in, chatting with them casually, when a throat cleared behind us.