Can I Have Your Daughter For The Rest Of My Life?

It's quiet in the car; it's not an uncomfortable silence, but there is a nervous energy floating around the two of us - mostly from me and I hope (Y/N) doesn't sense it.

We're on our way to (Y/N)'s parents' house for dinner, and she seems relatively calm about this, staring out the window with a slight smile on her face, while my stomach is swirling with butterflies and my brain is rehearsing the same words over and over.

I peek at (Y/N) and I find myself smiling too, and for a moment, it calms my nerves.

But the nerves soon return when I turn into the driveway and (Y/N) looks at me with a smile and reaches for my hand.

"Ready?" she asks.

"Yeah," I say, trying to mask my nervousness with an earnest smile.

We walk to the front door hand in hand as (Y/N) leans over to press the doorbell. There's a voice behind the door that I instantly recognize as (Y/N)'s mom. The door opens to reveal a woman with a smile similar to (Y/N)'s that grows even wider when she sees (Y/N) standing in front of her. She pulls her into a hug before pulling away and looking at me with the same soft smile.

"Harry," she says before pulling me into a tight hug. "It's good to see you again."

"You too, Mrs. (Y/L/N)."

"Harry, you've been dating my daughter for three years now, I think you've earned the right to call me by my first name."

"Of course, (Y/M/N)," I say and I can see (Y/N) out of the corner of my eye stifling laugh into her palm.

We follow (Y/N)'s mom through the foyer and down the hallway that leads into the living room.

"Dinner should be ready in a few minutes, so you two can just relax for now," she says before disappearing into the kitchen.

When I turn to face the open living room I see (Y/N)'s dad getting up from the couch and walking towards (Y/N) to give her a hug. When he pulls away, he looks at me the same way her mother had just moments ago.

I extend my hand out to him and he chuckles.

"Oh, none of that. Come here," he says before pulling me into an even tighter hug. I glance at (Y/N) who's smiling at us warmly, and just like in the car, I find myself relaxing again.

(Y/N) and her dad sit on the couch and I sit in the chair adjacent to (Y/N).

"So, Harry, treating my daughter well I hope," (Y/D/N) says and I find myself wanting to laugh because after three years, I know he's only joking with me, but there's always a part of me that knows he's still protective of her, so I just smile.

"Of course," I say.

(Y/D/N) opens his mouth to say something else, and I breathe a sigh of relief when he's cut off by (Y/N)'s mom's voice calling us into the dining room.

-

"That was a lovely dinner Mrs. - (Y/M/N)," I say as (Y/N) and I make our way out the front door.

"Thank you, Harry. It was good to see you again."

"You as well, (Y/M/N)."

(Y/M/N) hugs the both of us one more time before (Y/N) and I turn to walk back to the car. Before I reach for the door, I pretend to check my pockets for my phone, even though it's hidden in my jacket pocket.

"Babe, I think I forgot my phone, I'll be right back," I say and (Y/N) nods before getting into the car.

(Y/M/N) watches me walk back towards her, a slight hint of confusion on her face. "Did you forget something?"

"Yes I did." I glance over my shoulder to make sure (Y/N) is still in the car. "Can I talk to you and (Y/D/N) for a minute?"

"Of course, come in."

I follow (Y/M/N) through the foyer again and down the hallway into the living room where (Y/D/N) has returned to his earlier spot on the couch.

(Y/M/N) sits on the couch next to (Y/D/N) and I sit in the same chair that's adjacent to the couch. I lean my elbows on my knees, clasping my hands together as I take a deep breath, going over the speech in my head once again before I say it out loud.

"You both know that I love your daughter very much. She brings so much happiness and joy into my life and I want nothing more than to spend he rest of my life with her." I pause, taking another deep breath. "I would like to ask for her hand in marriage."

I glance at (Y/M/N) who's smiling at me with red-rimmed eyes. She reaches over to place a hand on my forearm.

"Of course you can, Harry. We see the way she is around you and you're the one we would want her to spend her life with."

All the tension and nerves suddenly leave my body and I feel five pounds lighter. My cheeks hurt with how much I'm smiling.

"Thank you," I say, leaning over to give (Y/M/N) a kiss on the cheek. "Thank you so much, (Y/M/N)."

"Harry, I think it's okay for you to call me mom now."