Valentine's Day

My eyes open slowly, adjusting to the bright sunlight streaming into the room. I turn my head to see a curly-haired boy sleeping peacefully next to me. I watch him sleep, his chest rising and falling with each slow breath. He always looked to peaceful when he slept.

He rustles under the sheets before stretching his arms over his head as he wakes from his slumber. He looks to his left - where I'm laying - and sees me staring back at him.

"Good morning beautiful," he says, sleepiness obvious in his voice.

"Good morning," I say smiling back at him.

I continue smiling at him, waiting for him to say something - to tell me what the day would hold and what surprises he had in store. I always looked forward to Valentine's Day with Harry since he was such a romantic. He always made the day extra special, and I couldn't wait to find out what he had planned for this year.

"You alright, love?" Harry said, oblivious to my hinting.

"Yeah, I'm just... happy," I say and he kisses my forehead.

This was unlike him. He would always tell me everything he had planned for the day, down to the very last detail. Maybe he just wants to keep it a surprise.

"How about some breakfast?" Harry asks, and the smile on my face returns.

"Sure."

Harry gets out of bed and makes his way towards the kitchen.

This was the Harry I knew. Of course he wouldn't forget about Valentine's Day.

Harry walks back in our bedroom carrying a bowl in his hand. He hands the bowl to me and I see that it's full of cereal. Harry was never much of a cook but I thought he would at least try for today. Did he really forget about Valentine's Day?

"Did you want something else?" Harry asks, trying to read the expression on my face.

"No it's fine, I just..."

"What's wrong babe?" Harry asks, sitting down next to me and placing one of his large hands on my lower back.

"Do you know what today is?"

"Um, Friday?"

I stare at him for a few moments waiting for him to finish his response but he never does. I let out a sigh as my head turns to face my lap.

"Is there something special about today that I don't know about?" Harry says, trying to get me to look at him again.

"Yes, Harry," I say trying to control the anger and disappointment building up inside me. "It's Valentine's Day, which you obviously forgot."

I see the expression on Harry's face immediately change.

"Oh, babe I.. I'm so sorry."

Instead of saying anything, I stand up from the bed and walk out of the room.

-

Harry keeps his distance from me for most of the day occasionally trying to apologize again but I don't say anything to him in return. I'm not ready to accept his apology yet.

I usually don't stay mad at Harry for long, but this time I couldn't figure out why I was so mad at him. All because he forgot about one Valentine's Day? The longer I thought about it, the more I realized how lucky I am just to have him here with me rather than being in another country - or another continent.

If anyone had to apologize it was me.

-

I walk around the house looking for Harry but he's nowhere to be seen. I look for him one more time before settling on the couch. A few moments later I hear the front door open.