Take Me Into Your Loving Arms

I stare at my textbook, a task that seemed much easier an hour ago when I could actually keep my eyes open. I give in and close my eyes, resting my head into my hands. I feel like I'm about to drift off when I hear my phone vibrate next to me. I groan at the noise, but ignore it in favor of letting my head fall onto the textbook laying open in front of me. I open one eye and stare at the phone when I hear it buzz again.

When it finally stops, I lift my head long enough to see who's texting this late at night - it's (Y/N). I grab the phone, but before I can open the texts, I hear a steady clink, clink, clink against my window. I look over at the source of the noise, waiting for it to happen again when my phone begins vibrating in my hand. I look down at it and see the series of messages from (Y/N).

From: (Y/N)

> open your window

> please

> it's important

I walk over to the window and look down on the lawn where I see (Y/N) wiping at her eyes. I quickly rush downstairs and open the door, stepping into the cool air. I wrap my arms around myself as I take in (Y/N)'s appearance.

"(Y/N)? What's wrong?"

She walks over to me and collapses into my arms and I hold her close to me. I run a hand up and down her back as she begins to cry into my chest.

"He broke up with me," she mumbles into my shirt.

"Oh, (Y/N)," I say, holding her closer. "I'm so sorry. Do you want to talk about it?"

She shakes her head as she sniffles. "No, just hold me."

"Okay, well, can we at least go inside? I'm kind of freezing out here."

She looks up at me and nods.

I lead her up to my bedroom before crawling into bed and motioning for her to come join me. She lies next to me, curling into my chest. She begins to shake as another sob racks her body. I hold her close as she cries, saying nothing as the tears fall from her eyes, comforting her in the only way I can.

-

1 year later

It's windy outside - so windy that it's becoming more and more difficult to block out the sound of the the tree branches hitting the window. I throw my pillow over my head, trying to block out the clink, clink, clink against my window, but it remains steady as the wind continues to blow.

I groan into the pillow as the sound becomes louder and more insistent. I wrap the pillow around my ears, hoping to muffle the noise but I can still hear it. But a second later, the noise stops. I release the pillow from my ears and wait for the noise to begin again but it doesn't. Instead, my phone begins buzzing on the table next to me.

I roll over to grab it, squinting at the bright light as I read the message.

From: (Y/N)

> I need to talk to you

I throw the covers off of me and rush downstairs, opening the door to find (Y/N) with tear-stained cheeks. She doesn't say anything as more tears spill down her cheeks, walking over and throwing her arms around me.

"(Y/N)," I say carefully, "what's wrong?"

"He broke up with me," she says quietly.

I hold her closer and place a soft kiss to the top of her head. "I'm so sorry."

"Why do I keep getting my heart broken? What do I do that pushes them away?" (Y/N) wonders out loud.

"Nothing," I say, taking a step back so we're both in the house. I close the door behind her and help her into my room where I lay her down on the bed.

"Do you think I have horrible taste in guys?" she asks, staring at the ceiling and wiping her eyes with her sleeve.

"No," I say automatically. "They're just idiots. I promise it has nothing to do with you. If they can't see how great you are, then it's their loss."

"Really?" (Y/N) asks, sitting up and I sit next to her, close enough I can feel the heat radiating off her body.

"Really," I repeat with an earnest smile. (Y/N) smiles back weakly before closing the distance between us and gently pressing her lips to mine. She brings a hand up to cup my cheek and I melt into her touch, too lost in the kiss to care about anything else. "What was that for?" I ask when she pulls back.

"Because I've been chasing after these horrible guys when you've been here the whole time. You're the only guy who hasn't left me yet."

"And I won't, I promise," I say before bringing her back in for another kiss.