This City Never Sleeps

"Wow," I breathe, taking in the scenery surrounding me.

The bright lights of New York City shine overhead and it is truly a beautiful sight. The streets of Times Square are crowded, but I'm too enamored by the city lights to pay any mind to anyone walking around me.

"Beautiful isn't it?" a voice says next to me, and I look over to find Harry smiling warmly at me and I nod in response.

Harry tugs on my hand gently and we continue walking down the street. As we walk, the lights seem to get even brighter. I can't seem to tear my eyes away, causing me to bump into everyone along the way, including someone dressed like batman. I mumble a sorry to him and move in closer to Harry, hoping to avoid running into anyone else.

"How about someplace less crowded?" Harry asks and I nod reluctantly.

We continue our casual stroll through the city, Harry leading the way. After about a twenty minute walk, we find ourselves in Central Park.

I turn my head at the distant sound of children laughing and see an ice skating rink in the distance. By the way Harry's looking at me, I'm sure he can see the glint in my eye.

"No," Harry protests before I can even say anything. "I'm not ice skating again. You've seen what happens when I'm on ice."

I giggle at the memory. "Yeah, you looked like Bambi."

"Exactly, so I'm not doing it again."

"Please?" I pout and bat my eyelashes at him like a child.

"Fine," Harry sighs in defeat.

A wide grin spreads across my face and I leap forward to place a kiss to his cheek, and laugh when it only makes Harry frown. I ignore his multiple cries of protest and drag him toward the rink.

We both grab a pair of skates and I lace up mine quickly, whereas Harry takes much longer, muttering under his breath how much he hates ice skating.

I grab his hand again and lead him to the entrance of the rink, Harry stumbling a bit on the way. I take a cautionary step onto the ice and help Harry regain his footing. I glide slowly on the ice, holding onto Harry.

"See? You're not Bambi anymore."

"I guess not," Harry says, the crease between his eyebrows slowly disappearing. "Just don't let go of my hand."

"I won't," I say, squeezing my hand tighter around his own.

We make a few laps around the rink - well, I make a few laps around the rink while Harry just holds onto my hand, legs locked, with his other hand out by his side, preparing for a fall.

We skate back around to the entrance and I decide to put Harry out of his misery. Harry breathes a sigh of relief as he takes off his skates.

"I love you, but please don't make me do that ever again."

"Why? You didn't even fall," I say, taking off my skates.

"Only because I was holding onto you."

"And what was wrong with that?"

"Nothing... I just like standing on the ground where I can't fall on my face." I open my mouth to say that he can still fall on his face on solid ground - which he has - but he stops me by pointing a finger at me. "Don't say it."

"I wasn't going to," I lie. Harry gives me an accusing look, but I just laugh him off.

As we put our shoes back on, I notice a horse-drawn carriage siting at the edge of the park.

"Harry," I say pointing to the carriage. "Can we?"

"I'll do anything that isn't on ice."

I let out a laugh before running toward the carriage. I look over my shoulder and see Harry quickly approaching.

"Finally," he says as he runs past me. "Something I'm good at."

I pick up my pace, but ultimately, Harry gets to the carriage first.

"S'alright babe, you don't have to be good at everything."

I playfully scowl at him and shove him out of the way and climb into the back of the carriage. Harry climbs in and sits next to me.

Harry wraps an arm around me as the horses begin to trot down the street. The noise of the city has died down and the only sound that can be heard is the wheels of the carriage and the click clack of the horses hooves on the pavement.

I watch as the city passes us by, the tall skyscrapers looming in the moonlight. I look over at Harry, who's face has a slight glow to it, the moon's light reflecting perfectly off his cheekbones. He glances back at me, smiles an puts an arm around my shoulder, pulling me close to his warm body as the temperature drops.

The carriage comes to a halt and we step off, intertwining our fingers as we begin making the trek back to our hotel room.

"Today was nice," Harry says, breaking the silence between us.

"Even though I made you go ice skating?"

"Yeah," he says, stopping and turning to face me and kissing me delicately on the lips. "Because I got to spend it with you."