Home

"Get ready, he'll be here any minute," I say, glancing around the room once more, just to make sure everything is in order - the Welcome Home banner hung neatly on the wall, the Welcome Home cake sitting on the table, and my two children standing in front of me who are ready to see their father again.

I stand behind my son and daughter, placing a hand on each of their shoulders, like we're posing for a family portrait, creating the perfect scene for Harry to walk into. My heart beats so loud behind my chest I can hear it in my ears, and my stomach twists with excitement at the thought of seeing Harry for the first time in four months.

A few squeals leave Hazel and Jonah's mouths at the sound of a key being placed in the lock of the front door. A tall figure steps through the door and I can feel every ounce of air leave my lungs at the sight of the same man who walked out of that door four months ago - the same man who seems so different now. His hair is a bit longer, and he has little bit of stubble on his cheeks, and suddenly I feel like I'm falling in love all over again.

"Daddy!" Hazel and Jonah shout before tackling Harry into a hug.

"Hey," Harry says through a chuckle, and bends down to hug them properly. "I missed you guys, so much."

"We missed you, too, daddy," Hazel says, and Harry smiles warmly at her and it makes my heart flutter.

"I brought you something," Harry says before reaching into his bag, Hazel and Jonah's faces already lighting up with anticipation.

Harry pulls out two large stuffed animals from his bag - a monkey for Jonah and a pink bear for Hazel. Their jaws hang open as they reach out and take their presents.

"Thank you," they say in unison before giving Harry another hug.

"Why don't you take those into your room so I can say hello to your mum," Harry says, nodding his head toward the hallway that leads to their bedrooms, and they oblige, scurrying down the hallway and out of sight.

Harry stands up and moves towards me. "Hi," he says, smiling warmly at me, and my heart flutters again.

"Hi."

"I missed you."

"I missed you, too."

Harry smiles at me again before bringing a hand up to my face to cup my cheek, rubbing his thumb gently over my cheekbone. I close my eyes and lean into him, revelling in his touch.

Then Harry presses his lips to mine, slow, sweet, and passionate and it feels so foreign and so familiar at the same time.

"You don't know how long I've been waiting to do that," Harry whispers, leaning his forehead against mine. I slink my arms around Harry's middle and he wraps his arms around me, enveloping me in his warmth.

I pull back from Harry - only slightly - to look into his eyes and nod towards the coffee table. "The kids made you a cake."

Harry turns his head to inspect the cake and then looks back at me with a raised eyebrow. "They did, did they?"

"Alright, I made it, but the kids did help decorate it, so just pretend."

"Thanks, babe, I'm sure it tastes great," he says before pecking me on the lips. "Who wants cake?" Harry shouts down the hallway, and within seconds, Hazel and Jonah reappear in the living room, excitement on their faces.

Harry goes into the kitchen and walks back out with a knife and begins cutting the cake and placing two small slices on two separate plates for Hazel and Jonah. They sit on the couch eating their cake, chocolate dotting the corners of their mouths. Harry cuts two more pieces for us and hands me a plate.

"This is nice," I say.

"What?" Harry says, taking a bite of his cake.

"To have you home, having the whole family here, just... everything."

Harry glances at our kids on the couch before smiling at me. "Yeah, it is. It really is."

"Daddy," Hazel's voice interrupts us. "Will you sing for us?"

"Of course," Harry beams and sets his plate down on the table in front of him.

Harry clears his throat and softly begins to sing.

Been a lot of places

I've been all around the world

Seen a lot of faces

Never knowing where I was

On the horizon

Well I know, I know, I know, I know the sun will be rising back home

Living out of cases

Packing up and taking off

Made a lot of changes

But not forgetting who I was

On the horizon

Well I know, I know, I know, I know the moon will be rising back home

Don't forget where you belong

Home

Don't forget where you belong

Home

If you ever feel alone, don't

You are never on your own

And the proof is in this song

Been away for ages

But I got everything I need

I'm flicking through the pages I've written in my memory

I feel like I'm dreaming

So I know, I know, I know, I know that I'm never leaving

No I won't go

Don't forget where you belong

Home

Don't forget where you belong

Home

If you ever feel alone, don't

You are never on your own

And the proof is in this song

A comfortable silence falls over the room. Hazel and Jonah stare at Harry from the couch with nothing but love and adoration for their father and I find myself smiling at the three of them.

Hazel's eyes begin to turn red as tears threaten to spill from her eyes, but before they do, she jumps off the couch and runs over to Harry and throws her arms around him.

"I missed you, daddy," she says through a sniffle.

"I missed you, too, H," Harry says quietly, placing a hand to her back.

Jonah gets up off the couch and walks over to Harry too. "I missed you, too."

Harry bends down to hug them properly again, tighter this time. "I missed you all, so much," Harry says softly, reaching out to grab my hand and pulling me down with him, wrapping an arm around me and placing a kiss to the top of my head. "It feels good to be home."