All Grown Up

"Hey, honey," Harry says as our sixteen-year-old daughter, Ally, walks through the front door. "How was school?"

"Great," she says with a bright smile, dimples reminiscent of her father's poking at her cheeks.

"Oh?" Harry asks, raising an eyebrow. "What happened?"

"Well..." Ally pauses to walk over and sit down on the couch, staring at Harry and I. "You know that really cute senior I told you about? Jason? He asked me out! Can I-"

"No," Harry interrupts, voice firm.

"Why not?" Ally whines.

"Because you're not old enough."

"But, Dad," Ally protests, rising from the couch. "I'm sixteen now. All of my friends are allowed to date, so why can't I?"

"They're not my daughter, you are," Harry says, keeping his tone even. "And my daughter isn't allowed to go on a date with an older boy without a chaperone. That's final."

"But-" Ally begins to protest, but Harry stops her by shaking his head.

"I said no."

Ally makes a sound somewhere between a muffled scream and an exasperated sigh before storming off upstairs and slamming the door to her room. Harry puts his head in hands and rubs his temples in frustration.

"She'll come around," I say softly, trailing my fingers up and down his spine. "I'm sure she knows you're only doing this because you love her."

"I hope so," Harry says with a sigh. Then his head turns sharply to me. "Wait, what do you mean me? Are you saying that you'd actually allow her to go on this date?"

"No, but I am taking into consideration the fact that she is sixteen. She is old enough to go on a date, Harry. I was sixteen when I went on my first date with you, remember?" I pause, and Harry smiles at the memory, but then he frowns again when he remembers we're taking about Ally. I take Harry's hand in mine and lock eyes with his. "I'm not saying I'm completely okay with her going on a date with a senior alone, but I think she should be allowed to go as long as one of us is with her."

Harry sighs, seeming to absorb everything I've just said. "Maybe you're right. But I'm going with her."

"Oh no you're not," I protest.

"Why not?"

"Because you won't let them have any fun."

"Exactly."

A few beats of silence pass before I rise from my chair and start for the stairs.

"Where are you going?" Harry asks.

"To tell Ally that she can go on her date," I say, turning around to face Harry again. "Unless of course, you want to."

Harry sighs again, but rises from his seat, shoulders slumped, and follows me up the stairs. I softly knock on the door, expecting Ally to tell us to go away, but there's only silence on the other side of the door.

"Ally," I say, opening the door slightly, just enough to peek my head in and see her lying on her bed facing away from the door. "Can we talk?"

She doesn't answer, so I nudge Harry forward.

"Your father has something to tell you."

"I'm pretty sure he said everything he wanted to say downstairs," she mumbles, still facing away from us.

"Ally," Harry says, voice soft in the same way he's always talked to her since she was little. "Obviously I don't want you to go on this date, but I also want you to be happy. All I've ever cared about is your happiness, so..." Harry takes a deep breath before continuing. "You can go on your date."

Ally suddenly sits up to turn to Harry, eyes bright with hopefulness. "Really?"

Harry closes his eyes briefly before nodding. "Yes, but your mother will be going with you and you have to be back by ten-thirty."

"Thank you!" Ally squeals, throwing her arms around Harry's neck, hugging him tight as an oof escapes past his lips. "Thank you so, so, so much."

"Just promise me one thing." Harry pulls away from their embrace to make eye contact. "Don't have too much fun."

Ally just rolls her eyes. "I won't."

Harry hugs her again before whispering, "I love you."

"I love you, too."