You're Just A Small Bump Unborn

A low rumble in my stomach wakes me up in the middle of the night. I try to ignore it, because the only thing I want right now is sleep, but that seems unlikely when the low rumble quickly turns into queasiness. I roll over onto my back, waiting for the uneasiness to subside, but it only grows worse as the feeling begins creeping up my chest and to my throat. I throw the covers off my body and run to the bathroom just in time to hunch over the toilet.

When the feeling finally subsides, I lean back against the tub, feeling the coolness of it on my back through my shirt. I close my eyes, breathing deeply, waiting for another wave of nausea to strike, but luckily, it never does.

I hear footsteps at the door and I open my eyes to see a sleepy Harry standing in the doorway, looking as concerned as he can manage this late at night. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I just woke up with a stomachache, but I'm fine now."

"Are you sure? It's not cramps is it?"

I sigh. "No, Harry, it's not cramps. I'm late."

Harry tries to rub the sleep from his eyes. "Late for what?"

I give him a look and he just stares at me until the realization finally hits him.

"Oh. Oh." Harry's eyes widen and he runs a hand through his hair. "Are you...?"

I shrug. "I don't know, it's only been a week."

"Should I go get some tests? I'm gonna go get some tests, you just stay here and drink this." Harry walks over to the sink and fills a glass of water and hands it over to me and places a kiss to my temple.

Harry steps back and stares at me, so I hesitantly take a drink and a satisfied smile spreads across his face before he leaves the bathroom. I hear him move about in the bedroom, probably in searches of clothes. He appears in the doorway of the bathroom again.

"I'll be right back, I love you."

-

Thirty minutes later Harry finally reappears in the doorway, pausing and looking at me with a concerned furrow of his brows as he watches me pace back and forth across the room. I walk over to him and grab the bag from his hand, taking one of the thin boxes out of the bag and running back into the bathroom.

"You alright babe?" Harry asks, and it sounds echoed, so I assume he's still standing in the same spot in the bedroom, stunned.

"Yeah, I just drank some water while you were gone. Like, a lot."

"Alright, well, I'll be out here when you're done."

I walk back into the bedroom a minute later to find Harry lying down on the bed, but he sits up when he hears me approach him.

"What did it say?"

"Don't know yet, we still have to wait for the results."

"Oh," Harry says softly and flops back onto the bed. He reaches for my hand and grips it tightly. "This doesn't change anything, you know. I love you no matter what, and if we get to bring a child into this world that we get to share that love with, then that's even better."

"I know. And I was thinking about it while you were gone, and maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing?"

Harry gives my hand a reassuring squeeze before I let it go and walk back into the bathroom to check the result of the test. I pick up the stick and glance at the small screen, and my hand automatically comes to cover my mouth. I walk back out into the bedroom where Harry's sitting up on the bed again. He stares at me with my hand still covering my mouth, too shocked to speak.

"What does it say?"

I remove my hand from my mouth and walk over to Harry to show him the test.

"It's positive."

-

Twenty minutes later, Harry and I stand in the bathroom staring at the three tests resting on the counter - all of them positive.

"So," Harry begins, "we're gonna have a baby."

"Yeah."

Harry pulls me to him and holds me close. I cling to him, unsure how to feel other than nervous - and a little excited. Harry has remained rather neutral to the situation, probably gauging my reaction before letting his emotions show. But I know that the only thing he's ever truly wanted was to be a father, and it brings a teary smile to my face knowing that I can give that to him.

"You're gonna be a dad," I say into his chest.

"Yeah," Harry says softly, and I know he's smiling. He pulls away from the embrace to look at me. "Yeah, I am. And you're gonna be a mom - an amazing one at that."

Harry bends down to his knees and places his hands on my stomach.

"Hello, Harry Jr.-"

"Harry Jr.?" I say, looking down at him with a quirked eyebrow.

"Yes, babe, now shh. Me and the baby are bonding," Harry says glancing up at me for a moment with a fond smile before returning his focus back to my stomach. He leans in close, and I think he's about to kiss my stomach, but then I hear him say something, and he says it so quietly, I almost don't catch it. I know it was only meant for the baby to hear, but I still find myself smiling down at Harry as he presses a kiss above my belly button.

"I can't wait to meet you."