I Miss The Sound Of Your Voice

I toss and turn in bed, trying to find a comfortable enough position to let my mind relax so I can finally fall asleep, but it's no use. I don't know if it's just jet lag, or being alone for the first time in months, but what I do know is that I won't be falling asleep anytime soon.

I roll over onto my back with a groan, wishing I could fall asleep, knowing I have to be up early for a long day of rehearsals and interviews.

I reach for my phone, glancing at the time: 2:37 am. Great, I have to be up in less than four hours. I'm about to set my phone down when a notification catches my eye - a new voicemail from (Y/N). I swipe the screen to listen to it, (Y/N)'s voice coming out grainy from the speaker. I close my eyes momentarily, just listening to (Y/N)'s voice filling the empty, quiet room, listening to her tell me goodnight and that she loves me and that she'll talk to me tomorrow.

I replay the message a few times, waiting for her voice to lull me to sleep, but it never happens. It's just not the same unless she's actually here.

I stare at the phone, squinting under the bright light as I scroll through my contacts. I tap on (Y/N)'s name and hover my finger over the call button.

I tap it and bring the phone to my ear. I feel terrible for calling her so late, but I don't think I'll be able to sleep unless I hear her voice.

"Harry?" she asks through the receiver and her voice sounds tired. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, babe, I just couldn't sleep." I pause, frowning, feeling even more terrible for waking her up. "I'm sorry for waking you up, just go back to sleep."

"Don't worry about me, I'm already awake," she says, and I can hear rustling on the other end, probably her shifting around on the bed. "Why can't you sleep?"

I shrug, and then I realize that she can't see it. "I just miss you, and I thought if I heard your voice it would help me fall asleep."

"Is it working?"

"Not really, but I think that's just the jet lag." There's a long enough silence that I have to wonder if she hung up on me or fell back asleep. "(Y/N)?"

"I'm still here," she says. "But what if I fall asleep before you?"

"Then I can listen to you breathe. That's how I usually fall asleep anyway."

She lets out a small laugh. "You're so weird."

"You've never complained about it before."

"True," she says through a yawn.

"Babe, just go back to sleep."

"No," she protests, and I envision her pouting. "I won't be able to sleep knowing that you can't either."

"Alright." I sigh. "Tell me about your day, then."

"Well, I went to lunch with (Y/F/N), but all she wanted to do was talk about this video of you grabbing your crotch."

I laugh. "Well, that's what happens when you're not there. Should I be worried about anything else she shows you?"

"No, she just likes to show me these random videos of you so I won't miss you too much."

"That's nice of her," I say. "Does it work?"

"Sometimes."

"Well, you won't have to miss me too much, I'll be home in a week."

"I know," she says. Her voice is quieter now, and I can tell she's on the verge of falling asleep again.

I don't realize I'm yawning until I bring my hand up to cover my mouth.

"Think you can go to sleep now?" (Y/N) asks.

"Yeah," I say, letting my eyes fall closed. "Goodnight, babe. I love you."

"I love you, too," she says around a yawn, and I'm almost certain she's half asleep.

I keep the phone pressed to my ear, listening for the quiet click that lets me know she hung up, but it never comes. I keep my eyes closed, waiting for (Y/N) to say something or to make a noise, but I hear nothing. That is, until I hear the softest of snores come through the receiver and I smile. I would turn the phone off, but hearing her sleep makes it feel like she's in the room with me.

I roll over onto my side, placing the phone on the pillow next to me, listening to (Y/N)'s soft snores coming through the speaker as my own breathing starts to even out.

Eventually, I fall asleep.