New York

"So when's (Y/N) supposed to be here?" Liam asks as we're walking backstage after our rehearsal for Saturday Night Live.

"Soon," I say, glancing down at my blue and white costume we had to dress in for a skit. "But hopefully not before I get the chance to change. I don't want her to see me in this."

Liam just laughs and pats me on the back before disappearing down one of the many hallways. I quickly find my dressing room and make quick work of unzipping the zipper of the jacket as I walk over to my duffle bag full of clothes. I pull out a white shirt, a Calvin Klein sweater and a pair of black jeans and begin changing as fast as I can.

My pants are pulled halfway up my legs when I hear a knock on the door. I jump, pulling the jeans up the rest of my legs before zipping them up and buttoning them.

I open the door to find someone removing their hood and unwrapping a scarf from their neck. I smile instantly, staring at (Y/N) standing in front of me.

"Hey," I say.

"Hey," she repeats. "Are you gonna invite me in?"

"Right, sorry," I stammer, stepping back to let her step into the room. I close the door behind her and walk back over to the chair I had set my clothes down on and pick up the shirt, pulling it over my head. "Did anyone see you come in?"

"I don't think so. There were a few paps out front, but they were leaving when I came in."

"I'm sorry," I say quietly, sitting down on the chair and looking away from her.

"For what?" she asks, walking over to me.

"For making you hide, for making you keep us a secret, for-"

"Hey," she says softly, moving to sit on my lap and placing a hand on my cheek. "Don't worry about that. It just means that we get to spend more time together privately, just the two of us. You make me happy, and that's all I care about."

Her fingers slide to my jaw, turning me to face her before she meets her lips with mine.

I smile. "Come on," I say, lifting her off my lap. I put on my Calvin Klein sweater and grab my coat before grabbing (Y/N)'s hand and pulling her toward the door. "Let's go explore NYC."

-

It's cold outside, but not freezing. There's a slight breeze too, and (Y/N) visibly shakes each time, so I pull her body close to mine, glancing over my shoulder for any hidden paparazzi.

We walk the streets of New York City, passing by dozens of people carrying shopping bags, probably full of Christmas presents for their families. (Y/N) glances in each shop window we pass, eyeing the merchandise.

"Looking for your Christmas present?" I say, raising an eyebrow that she doesn't turn around to see.

"Maybe," she says, and I can see her smirk in the reflection of the window.

We continue walking until I hear her gasp next to me. I stop and turn my head to find her staring into the window of Tiffany & Co., wide eyed. The jewelry shines in the window as (Y/N) stares in awe.

"See something you like?"

"Yeah, but-" She doesn't get the chance to finish her sentence because I'm grabbing her hand and pulling her into the store.

"Which one?"

She looks up at me, her mouth still hanging open in amazement. "Harry-"

I shake my head. "The truth is, I hadn't bought your Christmas gift yet because I didn't know what you wanted, and I know that I know what you want, we can just call it an early present. So which one did you want?"

She looks back to the jewelry sitting in the window and reaches out for a small blue box. She glances at the item in the box before turning it around to show me. In it sits a pair of diamond earrings, sparkling under the bright lights of the store. I look at the earrings and back to her, already imagining her wearing them and I smile at the thought.

We walk back out into the cold New York air after I pay for the earrings, (Y/N) now carrying a small blue bag with Tiffany & Co. written on it. We begin walking back toward the studio, before anyone can take a picture of us. I hold her close, shielding her from the wind that's beginning to pick up. Once we're in front of the building, we rush inside.

"There you are, Harry. The cars are almost here to take us back to the hotel," Niall announces.

"Thanks," I say.

"Been shopping, I see," he says, pointing to the bag in (Y/N)'s hand before turning to face her. "Must be nice. He never buys me anything that nice."

I scowl at him, but (Y/N) only laughs.

"I bought you a guitar."

"Yeah, but it doesn't sparkle."

"Bye, Niall."

-

"Harry!" (Y/N) says in a loud whisper as she shakes my shoulder. My eyes slowly blink open, adjusting to the lack of light around the room.

"What?"

"Look at this," she says before shoving her phone in my face.

From: (Y/F/N)

> WHAT IS THIS AND WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME

(Y/N) taps on the attached link and the first thing I see is the headline HARRY STYLES ENJOYS NYC WITH MYSTERY GIRL. Below the headline are dozens of photos of the two of us together. I should probably feel as frantic as (Y/N) looks, and I don't know if it's just too early or if it's something else, but I can't seem to find it in me to care.

"Why aren't you freaking out about this?"

"Because," I say, turning around under the covers to face her. "Articles like that come out almost every month, when I'm not even dating them. But I am dating you." I reach for her hand and hold it in mine. "They were bound to find out about us eventually, so there's really nothing we can do about it. This doesn't change anything about us or the way I feel about you."

(Y/N) smiles, her eyes softening. I use my free hand to bring it up to her cheek, rubbing my thumb along her cheekbone. I move my hand to the back of her neck and slowly pull her down to meet her for a kiss. She sighs into it, relaxing a bit under my touch.

When we pull away, I reach over for my phone. I open up Instagram and scroll through my camera roll, choosing a photo I took of the both of us in Rome. I upload it, add a filter to it and type in the caption, "I guess she's no mystery girl anymore .xx"