Meeting The Family

"I'm so nervous," I say as I try to calm my fidgeting hands.

Harry removes one of his hands from the steering wheel and grabs one of my hands and gives it a reassuring squeeze. "Don't worry babe, they'll love you just as much as I do."

Harry turns into the driveway of his parent's house and I can feel my heartbeat in my ears. I look over at Harry who's looking at me with a smile. He removes his hand from mine and brings it to my cheek and he lightly brushes it with his thumb, and I suddenly feel calm again. "You have nothing to worry about. Everyone will love you."

Harry gives me a small peck on my lips before opening his door and stepping out. I do the same and take a deep breath before following him up the steps to the front door. He rings the doorbell and I can hear my heartbeat in my ears again. Harry grabs my hand and rubs his thumb over my knuckles, soothing my nerves slightly.

A woman with long, dark hair and features similar to Harry's opens the door. Her cheeks widen with a smile when she sees Harry and pulls him into a tight hug. When she pulls back, she looks over at me.

"You must be (Y/N)," she says before pulling me into a hug. My arms remain at my sides because I hadn't expected her to do that. I lift my arms to return the nice gesture and I glance over at Harry who seems pleased with the interaction. Maybe this night won't be so bad after all.

"Nice to meet you, Mrs. Twist," I say when she finally lets go of me.

"Please, call me Anne," she says with a reassuring smile that reminds me of Harry's, and turns to walk back into the house.

I follow Harry into the living room and see two men and one woman sitting on the couch, and I assume that they are Harry's dad, step-dad and sister. I hold onto Harry's arm to try and steady my nerves.

"Hey," Harry says and everyone diverts their attention away from the television to look at Harry and I.

"Harry!" one of the men exclaims and rises from the couch to pull Harry into a tight hug. His eyes glance at me and I smile at him nervously. "And who is this?"

"Dad, this is my girlfriend, (Y/N)."

"So this is the girl you've been talking about. Nice to finally meet you, (Y/N)."

"Nice to meet you too, Mr. Styles."

"You can call me Des," he says with a smile. I smile back at him and a sense of relief washes over me, because I've been overreacting all day about meeting Harry's family. I was so worried they wouldn't like me, and I just now realized how ridiculous I was to be so nervous.

"(Y/N), this is my step-dad Robin and my sister Gemma," Harry says while gesturing to the other two people sitting on the couch. I smile at them and give them a small wave.

"Dinner's ready," Harry's mom calls from the kitchen. Robin and Gemma rise from the couch and follow Des into the dining room. I grab ahold of Harry's hand again as we take a seat at the table.

We sit in relative silence throughout the dinner. Harry's parents ask him and Gemma how they've been since the last time they saw them, while Harry's dad and Robin talk about the latest football match they watched on television. I stare in silence, a little thankful that I'm not the center of attention, because I don't want to make a bad first impression on Harry's family by saying the wrong thing.

"So, (Y/N)," Harry's mom turns to me, "how did you and Harry meet?"

"We, uh..." I start, but my mind goes blank as my nerves set in again. Harry places his hand gently on my thigh and looks at me with a warm smile, urging me to continue. "We met in the bakery Harry used to work at. He made a bad pun about the buns and... yeah, we've been together ever since." The corners of my mouth turn up into a smile as a few chuckles erupt around the table, and I can feel my nerves melt away again.