A Birthday Surprise

"Are you sure you can't make it? It's just for one day. I really want you to be with me on my birthday," I plead through the phone. I'm sure the desperation is evident in my voice, but I don't care, I need her to be there.

"I'm sorry babe, I can't. My boss won't let me have the day off, no matter how many times I ask him."

I let out a sigh and my heart sinks because this will be the first birthday that we've spent apart, and I know I won't have any fun without her there. I know it'll be a night full of fake smiles and loneliness.

"Don't miss me too much, okay? I love you."

"I love you too. I'll see you soon," I say and I let out another sigh before hanging up.

I fall back onto my bed and close my eyes, wanting nothing more than for (Y/N) to be here laying beside me.

-

I didn't realize I had fallen asleep until I'm woken up to a vibrating sensation in my hand. I lift my head off the bed and look down at my hand, which is still clutching my phone. I look at the screen and scroll through ten missed text messages from Liam, all of them yelling at me for being late for my own birthday party. I glance at the time at the top of the screen and my eyes go wide. Shit.

I stumble out of bed and run for the door. I turn the knob and I'm surprised when I see a group of about thirty people standing outside my door. Then I see Liam pushing himself through the crowd toward me.

"Happy Birthday mate," he says with a smile.

"What is everyone doing here? I thought the party was at Zayn's."

"Actually, it was never going to be at Zayn's. We thought this would be a nice surprise."

"Well, I am definitely surprised."

The shocked expression on my face fades away and I smile at my group of friends that are here for me. But then my smile almost turns into a frown when I realize that (Y/N) isn't in the group.

I step away from the door and let them enter, all of them wishing me a happy birthday on the way in. I put on a smile even though I'm not feeling happy on the inside.

When everyone files into my flat, I close the door, but I keep my hand on the knob for a moment in the hopes that I'll hear another knock on the door and I'll see (Y/N) on the other side.

But no one knocks.

-

I spend the first hour mingling with my friends and talking about random stuff that I don't even care about. I'm not even listening anyway. I find myself glancing at the door every five minutes in the hopes that (Y/N) will enter, but she doesn't. Liam could have invited everyone in London, but it still wouldn't be the same without her.

My thoughts are interrupted by the clanking of a knife against a champagne glass. I look around the room to see where the noise is coming from, and it's Liam.

"First of all, I just want to say Happy Birthday to one of my best mates, Harold Styles, and I know how much you wanted (Y/N) to be here, and I know we're not as pretty as she is, but I think Zayn's close enough." He glances at Zayn and the room begins to laugh. I even find myself trying to hide a smile. "But we didn't want to see you miserable on your birthday so..."

Just as Liam finishes his speech there's a knock at the door and I can feel my heart rise up to my throat, making it harder for me to breathe. Niall opens the door and my mouth falls open at the sight of (Y/N) standing in the doorway.

Her eyes meet mine and she smiles. I smile back at her as she walks toward me, my grin only growing wider and my cheeks begin to hurt. I'll have to yell at Liam and the rest of the boys for keeping this from me, but I can't find an ounce of anger inside of me - I'm too happy.

"Happy Birthday babe," she says. She's standing right in front of me, but I still can't believe she's actually here.

"But I thought you said-"

"I know, and I'm sorry. But I really wanted to surprise you."

"There's been a lot of those today. But this is definitely the best one." I smile at her and grab her hand before pulling her into a tight hug. "I'm so glad you're here," I whisper in her ear.

"Me too." She smiles and her eyes meet mine again. "So, do I get a kiss from the birthday boy?"

She smirks at me and I smile back at her before meeting her lips with mine in a kiss.

"Don't worry, I'll give you your real gift later," she says with a wink.