I Should Ink My Skin

"What ridiculous thing are you going to tattoo on your body now?" I ask as Harry pulls me into the all too familiar tattoo shop that he's dragged me to countless times before.

"It's a surprise," he says and all I can do is roll my eyes. That's what he says every time.

"Hey, Harry," a familiar voice says. We both turn to look at Ryan, the guy who has done most of Harry's tattoos. "What brings you in here?'

"I was thinking about getting a tattoo, do you know where I could get one?" Harry asks in that dry tone of his that he uses to tell a joke.

"I know a place," Ryan says, his voice serious, but a smirk playing at his lips. "What do you want to get?'

"I brought in a sketch the other day, Nick should have it."

Ryan nods and disappears into the back of the shop.

"A sketch?" I ask. "Did you draw it?"

"Nah, Zayn did. But I liked it so much that I asked him to borrow it."

"What is it? A banana with a face?"

Harry seems to genuinely consider the idea, but eventually says, "No. You'll see what it is when it's finished."

"Why can't you just tell me what it is?"

"What's the fun in that?" Harry asks with a smirk as Ryan reappears behind the counter.

"Is this the one?" Ryan asks, holding up a paper, but before I can get a good look at it, Harry snatches the paper out of his hands and places it on the counter, careful to stand in front of it so I can't see over his shoulder. Ryan gives him an odd look, but doesn't say anything.

"Yeah, that's it."

"Alright," Ryan says, gesturing for Harry to follow him. Harry mimics this action to me and we all walk into the back of the shop where four tattoo stations reside. "Where do you want it?"

"Right here," Harry says, removing his shirt and pointing to the right side of his rib cage.

"Are you sure?" Ryan asks, studying his face. "It's gonna hurt."

Harry peeks at me over his shoulder before responding, "Yeah, I'm sure."

Ryan just shrugs, mumbling an alright as Harry lays on his left side in the chair. Ryan makes quick work of putting on gloves, assembling his tattoo gun and opening the containers of the appropriate ink colors. Ryan gives a quick shave to Harry's side - ensuring a smooth surface to apply the tattoo - and applies the stencil. A small buzz can be heard as Ryan tests the tattoo gun a few times before dipping it into the ink. This time the buzz is continuous as Ryan transfers the ink into Harry's skin. Harry bites his lip as Ryan begins the outline of the tattoo.

It'd be so easy for me to just peek at the tattoo, but Harry really wanted to keep it a surprise, so I keep my eyes trained on Harry's face instead. His eyes shut tightly as Ryan drags the needle over Harry's ribs.

"Harry," I say, and his face seems to soften slightly at the sound of my voice. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah. It just hurts. But it's nothing I haven't done before," he says, pointing to the cluster of tattoos on his left side. "Don't worry about me, babe, I'll be fine."

"You don't look fine," I say, frowning.

"Honestly..." Harry pauses to bite his lip again. "I'm not. But it's gonna be worth it, I promise."

"You promise?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah, you're going to like it."

"What makes you so sure? How do I know that you're not getting something ridiculous that I'm going to hate?"

"Because I just kn- ow, fuck," Harry hisses, his face contorting in pain.

"I told you it was going to hurt," Ryan says, but Harry ignores him.

I drag a chair over to Harry so I can sit next to him. I run a hand through his hair and that seems to soften his face a bit, but the discomfort is still obvious on his face. I place a kiss to his temple, causing Harry to smile weakly for a moment before the pain takes over again as Ryan continues the tattoo.

"Are you sure this is worth it?" I ask, unsure how much longer I can watch Harry be in pain.

"Yes, I just need a distraction."

"Like what?"

"Just stay here," Harry says quietly, almost as if he doesn't want Ryan to hear it.

Harry reaches out his hand and grips mine firmly in his. I cover his large hand with my free one and run a comforting thumb over the back of his hand, hoping it soothes his pain, even though I'm sure it doesn't.

Being this close to the tattoo, the urge to peek is stronger than ever, and it's hard to look anywhere else, but I keep my eyes focused on the wall of the back of the shop, looking at the various designs that are hung up there. If the pain on Harry's face wasn't so apparent, I might actually think about getting a tattoo myself.

"What are you thinking about?" Harry asks, looking up at me.

"Getting a tattoo."

"Really?" Harry asks, the pain momentarily leaving his face again as he smirks up at me. "What would you get?

I shrug. "I don't know, but it'd have to be something special," I say and Harry looks away. It isn't until I follow his eyes that I realize I've been tracing the g on his shoulder. "Like this." Harry smiles and leans down to kiss my hand.

"Done," Ryan utters, the buzzing from the tattoo gun stopping suddenly, sending a wave of silence throughout the room.

Harry sits up slowly in the chair and walks over to the floor-length mirror at the far side of the room. I stand behind Harry as he turns around to finally reveal the tattoo to me.

"What do you think?" Harry asks, eyes bright and smile wide.

I knit my eyebrows together at first in confusion, then in annoyance as I stare at Harry's new ink.

"A penguin, Harry? Really?"

"Don't you get it babe? Penguins mate for life." I look at him even more confused than I was before, but he continues. "If we were penguins, you'd be the one that I chose to spend the rest of my life with."

I continue to look at him warily, but my mouth eventually turns up into a smile. "You're right."

"Right about what?"

"I do love it."