Empathy

Jungkook waits out on the front step at quarter to seven. Lisa said she would be arriving at seven to pick him up. And just as he said lisa pulls up outside the building a minute before seven. Jungkook hops to his feet and hurries over to the car.

“Waiting for me?” lisa smirks.

Jungkook rolls his eyes. “My members were driving me crazy.” It’s a lie. he was driving himself crazy. Jungkook figured cool, fresh evening air would help. It didn’t. His mind spins on a few things. What they are going to do. Whether they are going somewhere to eat. he has no idea.

So, he asks. “Where are we going?”

“You’ll see.” lisa glances over but returns her eyes to the road right away.

“I didn’t know you drove.” That’s new.

“I do now. It’s a recent development. I had that birthday and all.” lisa takes a corner. “I was lucky enough that my members are celebrating with nayeon tonight and I could borrow my friend’s car for this.”

They pass one town and then another.

“Where on earth are we going, Ms Manoban?” jungkook asks with a giggle.

Lisa smirks. “It’s a surprise.”

Jungkook smiles and looks out the passenger’s side window to hide it from lisa. Generally, jungkook doesn’t like the ideas of surprises. Mostly because he’s had too many bad surprises in his life. But he knows if lisa wants to surprise him, that it can’t be a bad surprise. At least, he hopes not.

They pass another town before lisa pulls into a 7-Eleven in the next town.

“Okay, so what’s here?” jungkook asks around his smile, the one that’s been on his face since lisa said it was a surprise. They could have just gone to the 7-Eleven in their town. Why this one?

“Cotton candy Slurpee’s. Come on.” lisa gets out of the car. he’s really looking forward to this. They stopped here after  meet and they had the cotton candy flavor at this 7-Eleven and lisa knew they had to come back.

They go in and go right to the Slurpee machine. Sure enough, jungkook sees cotton candy flavor. It’s still here. “I can’t believe this.”

Lisa gets a cup and starts to get her Slurpee. Jungkook gets a cup and waits. As he waits, he leans into lisa's side, a hand on her shoulder from the back.

Lisa glances over at him and smiles tight-lipped before returning her attention to her Slurpee so it doesn’t overflow the cup. She puts a cover on. “I’m going to look at the snacks.”

She leaves jungkook to fill his own cup. Jungkook, then, finds lisa in the snack aisle.

“Twizzlers or Milk Duds?”

Jungkook grins. he points to the Twizzlers. “They’re my favorite.”

“We’re going to have the biggest sugar rush tonight.” jungkook grins conspiratorially. he grabs both the Milk Duds and Twizzlers.

Lisa bites her lip around a grin. This is great. She feels great. Good, simple, fun. Nothing complicated. No pressure to be someone she’s not.

They pay and head back to the car. Sitting there, eating their candy and slurping their Slurpee’s.

“I can’t believe we drove four towns away just to find a 7-11 that serves cotton candy Slurpee’s.” jungkook’s Slurpee is nearly gone at this point. It’s gone surprisingly quickly. Maybe he should have slowed down and let it last longer. It doesn’t really matter. The Slurpee that is. What matters is that he is able to spend time with lisa.