we can't

Six moths later:

“jungkook?” lisa whispered, as she grasped the taller boy’s arm to still her.

Junkook turned to look at his girlfriend, as they stood by the baggage collection area in the arrivals gate. The guy’s expression reflected that of worry, and concern. Lisa never called jungkook by his full name. It was always ‘baby’ or ‘kookie’. Never just ‘jungkook’. The use of his full name did nothing to help the growing concern and paranoia that had been festering inside jungkook for weeks, as his girlfriend became increasingly more distant with each day that passed.

“Yes baby?” jungkook replied, forcing a self assuring smile.

Jungkook’s self assurance quickly crumbled when he saw lisa physically flinch at the pet name.

“I - I need to talk to you.” lisa said hesitantly, her voice seeping out fear with every syllable.

Jungkook found comfort in denial.

“Sure, what is it pretty girl?” jungkook answered, his smile not wavering as he brought his hand up to lisa’s cheek. 

They obviously weren’t accustomed to showing affection to one another in public, even though it always killed them to hide it. But today, a voice somewhere inside jungkook, somewhere way past his denial, a voice was telling him to hold on to lisa and never let go. 

Jungkook ignored the sting in his chest as lisa took a step back from jungkook.

“We can’t - I can’t -“ lisa began, as she struggled to put her words together.

Jungkook held his breath.

“I can’t be with you anymore.” lisa said finally, as she looked past jungkook, unable to look his in the eye.

Lisa was terrified of what she might see. But to her surprise, jungkook chuckled as he nudged lisa in the shoulder.

“Good one lis, now let’s get home already.” jungkook said as he picked up lisa's bags.

Lisa blinked in surprise, opening her mouth a few times to speak but failing. Jungkook grabbing hold of her hand, and pulling her towards to exit seemed to snap her out of stupor. 

“No, kookie ! Listen to me!” lisa almost yelled as she yanked her hand out of his grasp. 

Jungkook’s breath hitched in his throat, as he turned back to look at lisa.

“I can’t be with you anymore, i’m sorry. I’m so sorry.” lisa spoke quieter now.

Lisa’s eyes met jungkook’s for the first time as the raven-haired boy stared intensely at her, not the slightest hint of emotion behind his brown eyes. Silence took over as both  maintained the staring contest, and neither  was sure how much time had passed before jungkook finally spoke.