55: Confrontation

Aaron's eyelids fluttered open, revealing buzzing rectangular lights on the ceiling of a basement.

"Where am I?" He grunted, squinting at the bright light. His gaze lowered, and he scanned the room filled with people surrounding him. Aaron recognized most of them immediately: the three robbers, two out of three frat boys, and the drunk driver. There were also a couple of men in tuxedos and a large group of built boys in their twenties. The tuxedo men worked for Syringe; the latter were Henrik's fraternity. His gaze shifted lower until he spotted his wrists in metal cuffs.

"What the?" He beckoned, starting to vibrate and thrashing himself in the metal chair similar to his father's, trying his best to escape. But no matter how fast he was, there was no way he could get out.

Suddenly, Syringe emerged from the crowd of criminals, her leather boot heels thumping against the hard floor. She squatted until she reached Aaron's height, and her hand felt for her beanie. Under the cover was Jace Benin.

"You're awake," she smirked.

"How did I get here?" Aaron asked.

"Aside from being the fastest teen in the world, you seem to also hold the record for being the deepest sleeper."

Jace stood up and walked away from him towards a metal table. She was searching for something.

"My crew carried you here," she looked back at Aaron. "I'm pretty sure you've met them before."

She walked slowly towards Aaron, holding something behind her back.

"Remember this?" Jace smiled, revealing one of her tiny syringes.

"I don't understand," Aaron spoke calmly. "What did I ever do to you for you to shoot me? Is this about the race?"

"These," Jace said, spinning the small contraption on her fingertip. "made you stronger."

Aaron's eyebrows furrowed. "What?"

"Yeah. I was building you up."

"For what?" Aaron whined.

"For a deal."

Jace pushed her face close to Aaron's.

"If you stick with us, then I'll keep feeding you these," Jace suggested, holding up the syringe at Aaron's eye-level. "See? Not so bad. I am not really the bad guy."

"Elle said you had motives," Aaron told her.

"Oh. Elle?" Jace retorted. Her eyes widened, and then she laughed. "You know, when I put that note on your door, I was looking for Aaron, not the Blue Electric or Elle or Illuminate. But it looks like I've got all of you."

Aaron was beating himself up inside.

"I will never join you, no matter how hard you try to convince me," Aaron's accent thickened with aggression.

"Will you at least think about it?" Jace's voice deepened as a threat.

"Elle knows you're under someone's control," Aaron said.

Jace stopped in her tracks, her expression softened.

"I'm doing this for my father," she answered with a dull tone. "Boys, take him home. We are done talking... For now."