8: Aaron

An image of a building collapsing flashed through my mind.

Earthquake.

"Earthquake," I said aloud.

"What?" he said with a mouth full of the sandwich he smoothly stole from me earlier.

My hands, placed firmly on the gravel, felt the ground shaking under us, building up at every passing second. Loose pebbles started to jump up and down all on their own.

The school's main building, towering over the both of us, began to rattle.

"This is not a drill! Everyone remain calm and duck and cover!" The principal screamed over the intercom.

The columns holding the top floor cracked into medium-sized chunks and fell down a foot from our faces. The top floor began to fall, piece by piece. It was like being in a meteor shower.

I couldn't think. I just sat there with my mouth agape.

Don't worry.

A huge piece of stone came tumbling over me. I closed my eyes.

Then, I was swept off the ground in less than a second.

"Are you okay?" the blue-haired boy shouted amongst the crashing remnants of the building. His legs were moving faster than a train's wheels.

"We could've died! We almost died!" I shouted back.

"You saved my life," I sighed. "You-"

"Aaron."

"Aaron..." I repeated. "Elle."

"Elle..." He repeated.

"How did you know that was going to happen?" He yelled.

"How did you grab me and run right before a giant piece from a building crushed me?"

"Well, since this is a near-death situation, it looks like the perfect time to tell you something I want to tell you."

"Okay..."

He's an Enhanced.

"I'm an Enhanced."

"I'm psychic."

We confessed at the same time.

"You're an Enhanced?"

"You're psychic?"

Aaron set me down on the steps at the very back of the campus. We stared ahead at the giant clouds of dust covering the debris.

"Are you hurt?" He asked, kneeling down.

I shook my head.

"So," I whispered. "You're an Enhanced."