With Every Step We Take

By Franny645

"I've been observing you for a while now and I want you to know you are different from any girl I've ever kno... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Author's Note
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Author's Note
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Author's Note
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39

Chapter 34

90 5 5
By Franny645

"This dress is too trashy for a gala. I can't believe I fell for this." I murmur to myself, pulling down the dress I was wearing.

Grant's mom gave it to me , because I didn't have anything else to wear to the gala she invited me to at such late notice. To say I was shocked was an understatement, because I was under the impression she hated my guts. Which I'm now pretty sure she still does. I'm know she gave me this dress to embarrass me.

The dress was too short and way too tight. When I started to protest, Mrs. Smith assured me it was top quality, and everyone would be dressed similarly. I trusted her and went with it. I'm obviously an idiot, because I believed that lie. And I should have known it was a lie when she came downstairs in an elegant gown. Instead I stayed in the trampy dress, and went to the gala completely clueless. I knew I stood out immediately after I got there. People stared at me weird, pointed at me, and laughed. I didn't stay to access their reactions further. Needless to say I'm currently hiding in the bathroom.

I can't believe she would stoop this low. Why did she have to invite me in the first place? It was probably so she could make a fool out of me, and show everyone I wasn't good enough for her son.

I continue to force the dress down as far as it will go, but that only exposed me more at the top. This wasn't me, I never would dress like this. How could I be so stupid, and allow Mrs. Smith to tell me this looked ok. I was trying to fit in, and just made everything so much worse.

The worst part is Grant actually liked this look. As soon as he came downstairs, he applauded my obnoxious ensemble. Although he looked a little uncomfortable with at first, he quickly adjusted. He said something along the lines of "Can you wear that everyday?". How could he be so oblivious to the fact his mother did this to me on purpose?

I awkwardly shift my position against the stall door, and look at my phone. I've been in the bathroom for almost an hour. I wish my parents could come and get me, but they're both at meetings. I really don't want to bother Grant, because he should spend time with his family.

I think about last night with Durk's and his family. A night that I thought was going to be a total nightmare turned out to be the best night ever. My mom became great friends with Durk's mom, and my Dad did the same with Mr. Durk. They invited us back next week, and things are going very well.

"Christen?" Someone says loudly through the bathroom door. I instantly recognize Grant's voice.

"What do you want?" I say, not meaning to sound so rude.

"I want you to come out here, and suffer through this dreadful event with me." He says.

"You got through it for an hour without me, you can last three more." I say. He doesn't need me out there to suffer with him. I suffered enough just walking through the door.

"You're seriously going to stay in there for three hours?" Grant asks in disbelief.

I heave out a sigh. "That's the plan."

"What are you so self-conscious about, I don't get it." He says.

I scrunch up my face at the fact I have to explain it. "For starters, the dress could fit a large toddler. When I try to pull it down it, my boobs fly out. And when I try to pull it up, you can see right under it." I say.

"So why did you wear it if you hated it so much?" He asks.

I bite my tongue. I won't tell him that his mom tricked me, and told me every one would be wearing dresses similar to mine. I don't want to start any problems. I just want to go home, and get out of this dress.

"I didn't have anything else to wear, and this all your mom had." I say, which is kind of true.

"Then that's your fault. But I personally love it." Grant states, and I roll my eyes.

"Of course you do, because you're a pervert." I say unapologetically.

"Only for you." He retorts mockingly.

He doesn't say anything for awhile and I wonder if he finally left.

"I'm still here you know?" Grant says.

I groan exasperated. "Grant go away, I'm not coming out."

"But Jacob's crying, and I think he's looking for you. You know you're the only one that can put him to sleep in public places." Grant says, and I could almost here the stupid grin on his face. He used my weakness for the baby against me. That manipulative little... ugh!

I forcefully yank my purse off the hook, throw open the stall door, and leave the bathroom.

"Fine you win this time, but as soon as I put him to sleep I'm going back in there."

Grant smirks. "I don't think so. See, now that I got you out here, I'll make it my personal mission to keep you out here."

"Goodluck with that." I say, rolling my eyes.

I shuffle my feet dreading the fact I have to go out into the gallery full of mean and snobby people dressed the way I am.

As I continue to stall I look at Grant. He was wearing a nice suit, and he looks so good. "I love to see you in suits." I say making the approval show on my face.

"I'm going to have to ask that you refrain from looking at me, I feel exposed." He jokes, with a serious face.

"I should be saying that, you haven't taken your eyes off my chest since I put on the dress." I say back. I'm flattered, but I didn't want him to be attracted to me when I was dressed like a tramp.

He just shrugs and says "I'm a guy.", but I could tell he was a little embarrassed I called him out.

I feel so much angst about entering the gallery, but I try to get a handle on it.

Grant sighs. "As much as I hate to do this, here you go." He says, taking off his jacket, and wrapping it around me.

I look up at at him and smile. "I can wear it for the rest of the night?"

"Yeah." He says.

I pull the jacket around me, feeling much more secure, and walk into the gallery full of people.

Some still stare, but most are too preoccupied with the artwork on the walls.

I smile, and see if I can find Jacob.

It wasn't hard, because he was the only screaming baby in here. Mr. Smith was frantically trying to make him be quiet.

"I'll take over." I tell Mr. Smith giving him a smile.

He gratefully hands over the baby.

Before I could sit down with him, he taps my arm. "Christen I'm sorry my wife embarrassed you."

"You know?"

"When I met you all here, I kind of put the pieces together. Plus she told me. Don't worry I will make it my personal mission to shield you from any more of her shenanigans."

Not only did Mrs. Smith trick me, but she told people about it. Who does that? I push down the rising hurt, and smile at Mr. Smith. "I know I can trust you sir."

"Yep. Now please make my grandson stop crying, he's hurting my ear drums." He says wearily.

I laugh, and take Jacob to a small room, next to the gallery. It only had a few people, so he wouldn't be too disruptive.

"What's up little man, what's the matter?" I ask him soothingly.

He still cries. I rock him back and forth, and sing. He doesn't respond and keeps crying. "What am I going to do with you." I ask Jacob. I wasn't really expecting an answer, but it would be nice if I got one.

After we just sat in the room for awhile, he eventually stops crying and goes to sleep.

Grant saunters in the room, and picks up the baby. "Good you put him to sleep."

I look at him frowning. "Do you mind? I did the work, so I want to hold him while he sleeps."

"That's too bad, because I was going to give him to my Dad, so I can hold you." He says smirking.

A blush slowly burns up my whole face, as I scramble for a quick reply. " I doubt that you're capable of doing that for more than 2 minutes."

He just laughs, and so do I. We both know it was the truth.

Grant is being very flirtatious tonight, which is unusual but fun. I hope it's not, because of this dress. I don't think so, because it's covered up now anyway. I think he's just having one of his "good days".

He walks out with the baby, and comes back shortly empty handed.

I get a plate and stack up on appetizers.

"You know you are only suppose to take a couple, it's not a full course meal." He says amused.

I chuckle, blushing a bit. "Pssh yeah I knew that. I was just getting some for you too."

His eyes tell me he didn't buy my story, but he let's it slide, and takes the appetizers off my plate.

I look around the room, and try to take in my surroundings. The people here are so rich. They are dressed in fur coats, tailor made suits, and dresses. One lady even had on a diamond ring the size of mars. I was definitely associating with the elite tonight, and I didn't fit in one bit.

In the midst of my thoughts, I carelessly drop the appetizers on the floor. As I hurry to pick them up, Grant's jacket falls off of me. Leaving my trampy dress to be seen by all the people in the room. I probably should have actually put it on, instead of draping it around my shoulders.

A group of young guys in the corner make cat calls at me as they look me up and down. Some people just laugh, and some people look at me in pity. I glare, and try to grab the Jacket. It was hard to capture with my shaking hands in all. Grant thrusts the jacket at me, and faces the guys angrily. I hurry up and put the jacket all the way on this time.

"Is that your girl Smith? Her body is smoking." A tall blond boy says eyeing me appreciatively.

Grant knows these guys?

"Yes, and I would appreciate it if you stopped looking at her like a piece of meat Geraldi."

The guy who's name or last name is Geraldi puts his hands up. "Sorry bro."

I kind of zone out as I wait for Grant to finish his conversation, I wanted to leave this event.

"Are you alright?" Grant asks bringing me out of my haze.

I smile. "Yeah, thanks."

Much to my embarrassment, I realize I was still on the floor. He helps me up, and we clean up the rest of the mess on the floor.

Grant and I go back into the gallery.

As we make our way to the table, Mrs. Smith approaches us with an amused look. "How are you liking the dress Christen. I'm judging not too much, seeing that it's covered." She says menacingly.

I force a smile. "Yeah I'm a little uncomfortable in it." I say politely. She was trying to egg me on, and get a reaction from me. That was not going to happen.

Grant still didn't pick up on what was going on, he was just looking around with a bored look.

"Aww that's too bad." She says, and walks away, pretending to be distracted by something.

I internalize my sigh, and sit at the table where Grant's family is. Jacob was in his carseat sleeping, Franklin is playing video games, and Mr. Smith is MIA.

"How do you know those guys back in there?" I ask Grant, making conversation.

He shrugs. "My mom is good friends with their moms, so Unfortunately I've grown up with them."

"That Geraldi guy was a charmer." I say, sarcastically.

Grant snorts. "He couldn't charm horse poop."

I laugh at the image in my head of him actually trying to do that. That would be something else.

I randomly twirl my hair on my finger, inspecting the split ends. I really needed to get them cut.

"You should go to Susan." Franklin says, looking up from his game.

"Who?" I ask, amused.

"My mom's hair stylist." He explains. I let out a small chuckle, I didn't even realize he was paying attention to what I was doing.

"Thanks buddy, I might give her a call." I tell him. I start to rethink that. Any hairdresser Mrs. Smith goes to probably costs as much as my house. Okay, maybe it's not that expensive.

I tap Franklin, so I can ask him about something I was thinking about recently. "Hey Franklin, my sister Stephanie and you are around the same age; Would you like to hang out with her sometime?"

Grant looks at me. "Are you serious? You're trying to set up twelve year olds?"

I shrug, and look at Franklin in anticipation. "What do you say?"

"If she is nearly as cute as you doll face, I'm all for it." He says excitedly.

I laugh. "Much cuter." I say honestly. Even though Stephanie is only twelve, her striking model-like features can't be missed. Compared to her and Lexi, I was the ugly sister.

"Great. When can I meet her?" He asks.

"I was thinking Friday, check with your parents though ok?" I say. I really hope this works out.

He nods enthusiastically, and turns to Grant.

"Dude we're dating sisters." He says grinning from ear to ear, while holding his fist out for a fist bump. Grant doesn't return the gesture, and looks wearily at Franklin.

I smile, happy that Franklin's happy.

The three of us talk for a while. I notice that Mr. Smith still isn't back yet, and I don't see him in the crowds of people around us. That's strange.

The waiter brings over a pitcher of water, and I pour a glass.

"I'll take some too." Grant says, grabbing the pitcher from me when I'm finished pouring.

I hand it to him. As he pours it, water drips out the sides onto his suit. He curses under his breath, and I frown at him for doing so in front of Franklin.

His suit was soaking wet, and the water conveniently formed a huge stain in his frontal area. I hold my mouth to stop myself from laughing. Franklin peers over at the sight, and starts to laugh loudly, calling attention to us. "Grant had an accident." He sings.

Grant is fuming at this point, and tries to dry the stain with the napkins on the table.

"Here, let me help." I say, feeling a little bad for him.

I pick up the napkin, and start to dry the stain, but I stop myself.

I remember where the stain is, and decide not to help him. I blush at the thought of how awkward it would be if I had proceeded with my actions.

"Never mind." I say quietly.

Grant looks confused, but realization settles on his face.

A slow smirk appears on his face, and he wiggles his eyebrows suggestively.

I hit his arm hard, and try to control my breathing. I didn't know how to respond when he flirted with me like this. "You need to Behave yourself." I say, trying to get my emotions under control.

"I don't think I will, because then I couldn't see this." He says, brushing my blushing cheeks with his finger tips. I should have known, as always he was trying to get a reaction out of me. Something he hasn't stopped doing since we started dating.

I look away from him, and turn towards Franklin. I hope he didn't witness all that.

My worries were squashed. He was playing his game, and too focused to notice us.

"Grant, you want to help me beat this level?" Franklin asks, not looking up from the screen.

"Yeah, let me see." Grant says reaching for the game device.

As they focus on playing the game, I glance at Jacob. His head is tucked to the side, as he sleeps soundly. He looks so peaceful, I could watch him sleep forever. I feel the same way when I watch Caleb and Arianna sleep. My mind floats to them, I miss my babies. I haven't seen them all day, they were sleep when I left this morning. Hopefully, they'll be up when I get back.

Jacob squirms under my gaze, so I stop staring. I think babies can sense when people watch them, sleep. I don't want to disturb him, so I look around the room.

Every one seemed to be having a good time. The artists, seemed to be soaking up all the positive attention their work is getting.

I notice I still don't see Mr. Smith. He might be in the smaller room next to the gallery we were in earlier.

The waiter brings more water. After about the fourth glass, I decide a trip to bathroom is warranted.

When I get to the little hallway the bathroom is located on, I hear noises. I keep walking cautiously, not sure what I will come across.

I wasn't fully prepared for what I saw next. Mr. Smith was passionately kissing a women with grayish blond hair. It can't be...But there is only one person I've seen in this world with that odd hair color. I don't know what's more shocking. That Mr. Smith is cheating, or that he's cheating with Jenny! She is only like 17! Mr. Smith never struck me as a pedophile, why would he do this? I let out a squeal of panic.

The two people turn their heads in my direction.

Mr. Smith looks mortified, and the woman he's kissing just looks ashamed. Much to my relief she was not Jenny, but she had a shocking resemblance to her.

"Please." Was all that came out of her mouth.

I nodded meekly. I don't know how I feel, or what I'll do, but I know I won't tell on them.

Mr. Smith takes a step towards me attempting to explain. "I know this looks bad, and it is. But I beg you, please don't tell anyone. Especially not my sons." He begs.

I give him a small smile, that I'm sure quivered. "I won't."

He smiles back gratefully. "Thank you Christen."

He brings the woman to me. "This is Jenny's mother Charlotte. You met Jenny Monday right?"

I nod my head, leaving out how unpleasant that experience was. Mrs. Charlotte smiles genuinely at me, and offers her hand. "She's not here tonight, but I'm pleased to meet you. And you are?" She asks politely.

"Christen." I say.

"Grant's girlfriend." Mr. Smith chimes in.

Mrs. Charlotte smiles, and it lights up her face. "Oh how wonderful to meet you." She says genuinely, despite the situation. Unlike her daughter, she didn't seem to hate me. Everything about her seemed genuine and very pleasant. Of course that only added to my confusion.

"Listen Christen, Mrs. Smith and I are having a lot of problems in our marriage." Mr. Smith begins.

"Like what?" I say, before I could stop myself. "I'm sorry. You don't need to tell me that." I rush out quickly.

"No, no it's ok. I'm glad you asked. Well let's see, there's a bunch of problems. But mostly it's this feeling that she is keeping something big from me, something that I should know, and she won't tell me. It's putting a big strain on our marriage, along with other factors."

I nod my head in understanding.

Mr. Smith holds up his hands. "Please don't think I'm making excuses for my cheating. I am in no way trying to justify it. I am wrong, and I acknowledge the fact that I am a weak man."

I feel GOD's divine response come out of me. "You have made a mistake, but you've seen your faults and you realize where improvement is needed."

He nods his head. "That is very wise for a teenager."

"Thank you. It's the LORD's message."

Mr. Smith nods his head. I can tell he didn't believe what I was saying, but nether the less he was polite about it.

I stand there awkwardly, and it doesn't look like he plans to say anything else.

"I have to use the bathroom. I'm sorry that I intruded, and I won't say a word." I tell him and Mrs. Charlotte sincerely, they give their gratitude, and I leave.

Somehow I make it to the bathroom without freaking out.

I chew on my lip harshly, and grip the sink. What just happened? Jenny's mom and Grant's Dad? Cheating? I can't tell Grant, because I made a promise to them. How am I suppose to keep a secret like this from him? I can't lie to him about this! This effects his life in a huge way.

I take deep breaths. It's not really lying if he doesn't ask, right? 'ABBA I need your help in JESUS' name. I call desperately.

I finally go use the bathroom, and make my way out. When I come out. Mrs. Charlotte and Mr. Smith were gone. I guess they felt it was best not to resume their previous activities.

I sigh and make my way to the table, where Grant and Franklin are. Jacob is awake, and sitting on Grant's lap.

For the next couple of minutes I'm quiet, as I think about everything. It's just crazy. I can see Grant inspecting me out of the corner of my eye, but I ignore him.

"Christen come with me for a minute." Grant says. He tries to give Jacob to Franklin, but Jacob grabs on to Grant's suit firmly. So he brings him with us. We go outside.

"Yeah?" I ask, distracted by everything going on in my head. It was a little chilly out here, even with Grant's jacket.

"What is up with you. When you came back from the bathroom you started acting weirder then usual."

I roll my eyes at the insult he slid in there, but I know he is actually concerned. I try to think of something to tell him that will distract him. So, I decide to completely exaggerate something that's partially true.

"I can't stop thinking about you." I say boldly.

I struggle to keep a straight face, when I see his wide-eyed expression. "W-what?" He asks, stuttering slightly.

I bite back a giggle, that was so cute.

"The other day you were about to kiss me, and I haven't stopped thinking about it since." I say, which wasn't really a lie.

Grant looks at me with a confused expression. "What does that have to do with you acting so weird?"

Good question. I try to force my brain to think of a plausible response.

"Because you're driving me crazy. I want to know why you haven't tried to kiss me again." I say. That wasn't why I was acting weird, but it held some truth.

He looks down his expression tense. I feel bad for putting him under this unnecessary pressure, but it was the best thing I could think of right now.

"You know how I feel about you." He says, and butterflies take reign in my stomach.

"And?" I ask, prompting him to go on.

He fiddles with Jacob's bib, obviously wishing he was somewhere else.

"What happened in my room, was just an in the moment thing. If I were to kiss you now, it wouldn't be in the moment, it would be forced." He explains.

My butterfly-like feelings suddenly stop. They are replaced with offense. "You have to force yourself to kiss me?" I ask. I feel like we have these kind of arguments too much, and I'm tired. "You know what forget it." I say, and sit on the little bench in front of the building.

Grang puts Jacob in between us and sits down on the bench. I smile at the baby, but glare at him.

"Let's not fight tonight." He says wearily. "I just want our next kiss to be different than then the rest of them. I need you to wait until I am able to kiss you like you deserved to be kissed. It's for your sake, because I don't really care."

I turn to look at him, with wide eyes. "You don't care?" I screech.

He shakes his head. "That's not what I meant. I just mean I'm doing it for you, not for me."

This kind of reminds me of when he broke up with me, to protect me. He was always doing stuff for me I didn't need. Or at least I didn't think I needed.

"Just kiss me Grant, I don't need it to be this big extraordinary thing. As long as you're kissing me it's special, ok?"

He just sits there quietly, supporting Jacob's back so he won't fall.

"You make me feel like I'm some type of unwanted crush, begging for your affection." I continue, unleashing my feelings. It's funny, because I could never really put words to them before now.

"You will never be that."

"T-that's how you make me feel sometimes."

He grits his teeth. "I'm sorry Christen, I really am."

My gaze softens, and I sigh. "Don't apologize to me. "I say . He should not be apologizing for who he is, ever. I know this relationship stuff is really hard for him, and he's just trying to make me happy. As his girlfriend I need to understand that, and be patient.

I hug him tightly. "I'm sorry." I mumble into his shoulder.

He pulls me away from him, "For what?"

"For being so hard on you." I say, feeling bad. Grant has come a long way in our relationsip, and he deserves credit for that.

He lets out a low chuckle. "If I were you, I'd probably be upset too."

"But I'm not upset" I argue, unconvincingly.

Grant gives me an 'are you serious' look.

"Ok maybe a little bit, but I'll get over it." I say.

Jacob squeals in excitement next to us, and I smile. I see that his little face, is looking up at me expectantly.

I laugh. "You want a hug too JJ? I ask, giving him a newfound nickname. Now he has one just like his father, and everyone else I know.

I kiss his cute little face, and pick him up. "Let's get you inside, it's cold."

The three of us go back into the warm gallery, that is still swarming with people. When we get to the table, Franklin eyes us suspiciously.

"You two weren't kissing in front of Jacob were you?" He asks. When Grant I don't respond, Franklin face palms. "You were, weren't you?"

I was about to tell Franklin he had nothing to worry about, but I decide, I'll watch him have a fit. Grant apparently has the same idea.

"Great! Now when he gets older, he's going to like chick flicks!" Franklin complains.

Jacob just giggles at his crazy uncle, and so do I. Franklin was making no sense.

Grant shoves Franklin playfully. "Now he'll be just like you."

Franklin swats Grant's hand away, and returns to his game without a word.

His lack of response makes me wonder if he actually watches chick flicks. Stephanie will love that!

"Are you ready to go?" Grant asks, suddenly.

"How are we going to go? Chansey drove us." I say, voicing my confusion.

"My Dad drove my car here, and he'll drive back with Chansey and my mom."

"Oh." I say, relieved to be leaving this gala.

"Let me just find my parents, and tell him we're leaving." Grant turns to Franklin. "Are you coming with me or are you going with Mom and Dad?"

Franklin shrugs. "Doesn't matter to me."

Franklin puts on his jacket, and I put Jacob in his car seat.

When Grant comes back the four of us leave. What an interesting night this has been.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

61K 1K 41
" I've slept in his bed more times than I can count since I was probably 5, so why all of sudden do I feel nervous to be this close to him?" I shift...
12.5K 1.2K 23
My fist clenched against the edge of the table when he pushed a hair strand behind her ear and leaned closer, what the fuck!! Why she is not pushing...
63.8K 1.1K 85
***COMPLETED*** When we both caught our breath, he pulled me down and kissed me. He let go of my wrist and wrapped his arms around my waist. He opene...
106K 1.8K 26
"You dropped this." I heard a husky voice say. I turned around to look at what I dropped and realized it was my schedule. I gasped. Damn, I would hav...