The Player Next Door

By L0vely003

**Complete** Madelyn Foster is just your not so average 18 year old. She holds a lot of guilt, grief, and hea... More

#1- A Fresh Start
#2- Meeting My Roommate
#3- Forced to Talk to the Player
#4- School Sucks
#5- Shitty Pick Up Lines
#7- Surprising My Family
#8- The Party
#9- Help
#10- Having a Heart to Heart
#11- Going with the Police
#12- The Questions
#13- Road Trip
#14- Kissing The Player
#15- Slow Dancing with the Player
#16- Surprise Guest
#17- Friends with Only Some Benefits
#18- Awkward Family Conversations
#19- The Hospital
#20- Numbness
#21- Ashes
#22-Lingerie
#23- The Pictures
#24-Betrayal
#25- The Aftermath
#26- Court
#27- Water Under The Bridge
#28- Emptiness
#29- Going Home
#30- Completely Naked
#31- Fashionista
#32- Dinner
#33- Meeting the Family
#34- Stitches
#35- Nantucket
#36- G-A-L-A-?
#37- Suffocating
#38- Those Three Words
#39- Hormones
#40- Perfect
#41- Awake
#42- The End

#6- Waking Up on the Player

2.7K 67 21
By L0vely003

#6
Madelyn's POV

I wake up on a hard pillow. Since when did my pillow get so hard?

I start to remember the events from last night, and where I am. I open my eyes immediately. And push myself into a sitting position.

Holy shit. I am laying on Cole's chest. You know to most people it wouldn't seem like a big deal. But this is Cole Hart we are talking about, it's not a normal or decent person.

Cole stirs for a little bit before opening up his eyes.

"Why was I on your chest?" I ask.

"Well good morning to you too" He replies.

"Hart?" I ask sternly.

"Damn, you look sexy when you're mad," He says, turning to lay on his side.

"Cole?" I say actually getting mad, ignoring the fact that I feel my cheeks getting red.

"Okay okay. You feel asleep on my shoulder and when I went to lay down so that I could actually sleep. You slid on to my chest, and you were so soundly sleeping I didn't want to move you, so I just left you on my chest." He says like it's no big deal.

"I- I think I should go" I stutter, before walking towards the door.

Cole quickly gets up, "Wait"

I stop and turn around, "Yeah?"

"You forgot your shirt," He says, quickly walking over to the island and grabbing my shirt from the last place I left it. He hands it over to me. "You can just keep my shirt"

I grab my still damp shirt from his hands, "No thank you, I'll bring it back". I turn around and walk right out the door and right to my apartment. I don't feel like getting out my key so I just bang on the door.

"Coming" I hear Cara yell from the other side.

"Madelyn, why didn't you use your key?" She asks, stepping out of the way.

"Didn't feel like it" I reply, walking into our apartment and going straight to the fridge, grabbing a bottle of water and chugging it.

"You thirsty?" Cara asks, slightly laughing.

I just nod my head as I continue to drink my water. I normally wouldn't be this thirsty, but I didn't drink much last night, because someone dumped my water on my head. I slightly smile as I set down my water, thinking about last night. I actually had a decent night with Cole. He wasn't as rude and annoying as he normally is. Is he feeling okay? Am I feeling okay?

Just then, Adam walks out of Cara's bedroom with his hair disheveled.

"Good morning" I smile and wave to him.

"Morning" He slightly waves back. Before walking out of our apartment.

"Bye," I say as the door is shut. "Have fun last night?" I turn to Cara.

Her face flushes red. "I'll take that as a yes" I turn to the freezer and grab a pint of mint chocolate chip ice cream, before heading to the couch to eat it.

"Did you have fun last night with Cole?' She wiggles her eyebrows.

"Is it even possible to have fun if you're with Cole?" I answer her question with a question.

"I'm sure he's really good in bed"

I turn to my roommate with my jaw dropped, "You did not just say that"

"What do you mean?" She asks.

"Cole Hart? The douche next door? The guys that has literally slept with every girl in our college? Who knows, maybe some guys too? That Cole?"

"Yes, that Cole. He's slept with a lot of people so probably really experienced. He's hot, like greek god hot. And it would just be sex, you don't have to really deal with a person's personality during sex."

Before she can say anymore, I get up and walk to my room, along with Bruno. I sit down on my bed and Bruno hops up, so he can be pet. "I can't hear this anymore"

"I think you should have sex with Cole" She yells, and I know it wasn't only for me to hear.

"I agree" I hear Cole yell from the other side of my bedroom wall.

"No can do" I yell back to both of them.

***

My birth mother quickly removes the knife from my side for the last time, I start feeling dizzy before wobbling and collapsing.

I start seeing black dots before my vision goes completely black.

I wake up screaming. I immediately sit up in my bed. I start gasping, not able to breath. Bruno starts to try and nuzzle his head under my hand, while he barks, trying to get someone's attention.

Cara comes running into my room. "Madelyn? Are you okay?" She frantically moves to my side. "Take deep breaths, it was just a dream. Right? It was only a dream"

I start to slow my breathing. As soon as I can breathe again, I immediately start bawling. I grab Cara and hug her. Dampening her shoulder with tears.

"Hey, it's okay" she rubs my back.

Once I get myself mostly together. I sit back in my bed. "You said it was only a dream, but it really wasn't. You don't really know me that well."

"...okay" she says nervously.

"When I was younger. My birth mother abused me. Not just a couple hits every once in a while. She would beat me until I couldn't move. It was okay when it was just me. But then she started beating my brother too" I lose a couple tears "she nearly killed both of us. My father died in the army, which is what started all of this." I hic-up, "she stabbed me, she was trying to kill me." I stand up and slightly lift my shirt while lowering my pants on the right side of my body, I shakily run my finger over the scars, "right here" I whisper.

I look to Cara, she face is pale. "Oh my God" she says, she holds me in a tight hug. "I don't know what to say"

I cry onto her shoulder more. After I compose myself again. I pull away and glance at the clock.

4:52

There's no way I'm going back to sleep tonight.

"I'm going to shower" I tell Cara, "do you mind, maybe sitting in the bathroom while I shower? I'm just-" I ask nervously, she cuts me off.

"Of course"

***

I stand in the shower, letting the hot water run over my skin. Over my scars. I don't move, I can't, scared I'll fall apart again. I don't know what to do. I have no one to talk to about all of this. I know I have Cara, but she's not a therapist. And Karie is all the way back home. I know she told me to call Dr. Montgomery, but I can't bring myself to do it. Karie has been with me since I was rescued. I'd have to relive it all, to tell Dr. Montgomery.

I turn off the shower, trying not to make our bill super high. I quickly dry off, wrap the towel around me and step out of the shower.

"Do you want me to leave so you can change?" Cara asks.

"Thank you" I say to her.

"Of course"

I get dressed in some comfy pants and a sports bra. I then quickly decide to put a shirt on. Now that Cara has seen one of my scars, she'll be more likely to notice my other ones.

Today is a Saturday, so Cara and I aren't really doing anything.

***

It has been a while since I had my nightmare. Today is Thursday, we don't have school on Friday or Monday, so I am going to fly back to see my mom and my brother. They don't know about it yet, but it's going to be a great surprise, I can't wait.

As soon as school gets over I rush to my car. My flight leaves in two and a half hours. I just need to go home, grab my stuff and have Cara drive Bruno and I to the airport. As I unlock my car I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket. I look at my phone and see a text from Cara.

Hey, I'm really really sorry, but my history teacher is making me stay after to make up a test. So I can't take you to the airport. But Cole offered to, he said he'd be ready to go as soon as you are. Don't worry about me, Adam offered to wait up and give me a ride home. Again, I'm sorry. Have fun on your trip.

I sigh but text back.

It's okay. You and Adam though😏

She replies almost instantly.

I know I think he really likes me, which would be amazing because I really like him.

He definitely does I reply before getting in my car and setting my phone off to the side so that I can drive and not get distracted. I'm not trying to die today.

I normally give Cole a ride to school. But that is a really short ride, and I normally have Cara with me too. Today Cole didn't have to be to school right away because one of his professors was sick and they couldn't find a substitute.

As I get home I notice Cole standing outside my apartment door.

"Do you need help carrying some things to my car?" He asks.

Why is he actually being decent?

"Are you feeling okay?" I ask as I put my key into the door.

"Why?" he asks.

"You're being nice"

He rolls his eyes "I'll take back my offer"

"Oh no, it's okay. I'd love some help" From someone besides him, but I guess he'll have to do.

The ride to the airport is quiet, until Cole starts talking.

"So you're going home to see your family?" He asks.

"Yep, my mom and brother" I reply.

"No father?" He asks sounding kinda surprised.

"Nope, why do you sound so surprised?" I ask.

"You just seem like you have the perfect family"

My body stiffens, enough for Cole to notice "Really far from it actually"

Cole stops the car. I grab my stuff and get out of the car, I go to the back seat to get my suitcase and Bruno.

"Thanks" I mumble as I walk back to the passenger side door to shut it.

***

I stop very briefly to give the outside of the plane a pat for good luck. You really never know, this plane could go down and never go back up. I know it sounds morbid. But why be positive? When you're positive you give yourself the chance to be let down, if you always expect the worst, you won't be surprised when it actually comes true.

Dang, I'm more morbid than usual, I really need to make an appointment with Dr. Montgomery. But since I'm going to my hometown, I should probably make an appointment with Karie.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1M 53.7K 51
As a result of the tragic death of her father; Heaven Foster's life has mouldered into a exasperating cycle of moving from one home to another. Con...
Haru Haru By Lena

Teen Fiction

25 0 9
Jale has bounced around foster home after foster home for the last 4 years. Finally a senior going to graduate and about to turn 18 in a few short we...
2M 53.6K 53
[COMPLETED] Autumn Cross is now in 12th grade at her new school, Willington High, with only one goal in mind: passing the 12th grade and going to a g...