Chapter 6-

"Because I could watch you for a single minute and find a thousand things that I love about you." (cm)

Hades Grey

The hard-headed-looking woman slams down a box of what seems to be Lily's things as I sign my name on the paper that says she's free to go. The paper that says she's coming home with me, and I can't even seem to care that my uncle will see it. The sooner the better really. 

Because he'll come right to me. He'll come to my house, and I'll get the chance to murder him right in my office. I hope his blood doesn't seep through the carpet. It's custom, and I hate to have it ruined. Lily picks her head up out of my shoulder as Cooper picks the box into her arms.

"Where is he taking my things, Hades?"

"He's going to carry them to the car, my little baby."

"You trust him, d-Hades?"

"Yes, and you can trust me too."

"Okay."

I kiss the top of her head in gratitude as she listens well to me. What a good girl. She deserves more than mac and cheese and Ginger ale. I continue to rub her back soothingly while I carry her to my car. I'm glad that my bodyguards followed me from my house and joined me because the box will certainly not fit in my car. 

Cooper hands the box over to Anderson - one of my men - but Lily leaps out to grab the box. She falls out of my arms and yanks the box away from both of the men. Her small foot stomps the pavement as her bitty limbs try to hold the somewhat heavy box.

"No."

My feisty little baby.

"Little...can I carry it?"

"Yes, you can, but these boys can't."

"Why don't you hand it to me, and I'll put it in the car?"

"I want to be with my things. My teddy is in there."

"Set the box on the ground for a second, little baby."

She sets it down on the ground, crouching near the box. I squat behind her to guard her butt in case anything can be seen. I then reach over her shoulder and open the box. Inside is a pristine-looking teddy bear, coloring pages of unicorns, colored pencils, and a couple of Mad Libs with different themes. She reaches in, her bottom lip pouting out slightly.

I can tell that she's disappointed with what she's got in the bag, and I want to spoil her with more, but at the moment I have other priorities. Food, water, bath, and sleep...for her at least. Lily holds the teddy bear close in her arms, shutting the box, and leaving it on the ground. Her grabby hands come out, and I pick her up once again.

"Can they handle the box now?"

"Yes, da-Hades, but I want to ride with it."

I immediately hand Anderson my keys. Cooper gives us one last wave before heading back inside the Blackstorm Asylum. I don't have to say anything to Anderson for him to get the message, and he gives me a smirk. He's lucky I like him. If it were anyone else, I would wipe that smirk off his face so quick he would get whiplash before his head would be snapped.

He would suffocate before hitting the ground.

Knox growls at me, telling me to pay more attention to my mate, than my instincts of killing those who disrespect me. Only the guilty know to disrespect me, that's why I don't feel bad about it. Those who are innocent know that they shouldn't say a word or have a look of flippancy towards me.

Another one of my guards, Falcon, takes the box from the ground and sets it in the trunk of the Cadillac Escalade. He opens the door for me, and I thank him, before setting Lily in the car. Tears fill her eyes as we break away for only a moment. I desperately try to hush her, but she isn't having any of it. The tears break through, hitting her perfectly rosy cheeks that are covered with dirt.

I brush them away as I buckle her into the seat and climb in after her. Falcon and Wade say nothing, but I can tell they are worried. I wave my hand, signaling Wade to start driving us back to my home. I tell Falcon to call Gabriella, telling her to start making mac and cheese and get Ginger ale from the store.

After I've got everything I need for Lily settled over the phone, I turn my attention to the actual girl herself. I rest my hand over her thigh, more for me than anything. I just need to know she's here beside me and that I can protect her now. She is safer the closer she is to me. It doesn't sound true, but if my uncle finds out - which he will - I'll be able to keep an eye on everything going on. 

It'll be easier to use my resources if I'm on my home turf instead of trying to search for her and fight my uncle and whatever might come with him at the same time. I've gone against the major power in the continent. Even if I am the true predecessor, I still need Silvester to hand it down to me or kill him if he doesn't.