43

Chapter Forty-Three: Preparations

Stiles anxiously tapped his fingers against the wooden table as he waited. He checked his phone, hoping to see a text message or a missed call, but there was nothing. He leaned farther back into the red and white checkered booth seat, stretching his legs out until he heard them pop. Natalie, wearing her black apron and holding a half-full coffee pot in her hand, smiled at him as she passed. He smiled back at her.

She returned the coffee pot to its rightful place behind the counter before backtracking towards him. "Hey, Hun," she greeted him. His face blushed slightly; Natalie still made him nervous, she was Lydia's mother after all. She grabbed her pad and pen from the front pocket of her little apron.

"Hey, Miss Martin," he said and laced his fingers together over the table. "I'm supposed to be meeting my father but he's late...Got caught up at the station I'm assuming. I'll just take two coffees, please. One just black, the other with creamer and milk." Natalie quickly scribbled down the small order. As she went to go make the coffees, Stiles reached out to gently touch her arm. She looked at him warmly, as he did the same. "How have you been?" he asked her.

Natalie shrugged. "I'm.......okay. Still heartbroken and healing, but okay." Stiles rubbed his thumb over her wrist before letting her go. He nodded, understanding. He couldn't image her pain, but he understood. He knew that it was nothing he'd ever want to experience in his lifetime. "How are you and Lydia? I was just on the phone with her, but she was busy at work. Speaking of her job, she seems super excited. Does she love it?" Natalie's eyes gleamed.

"We're doing great," he said. "And she absolutely loves it. I've never seen her so excited before in my life." Stiles said the last sentence with a quiet chuckle, and Natalie laughed too.

"Good!" she said happily before gracefully turning back towards the kitchen. Her red hair, high in a short ponytail, danced side to side as she walked away.

Stiles' leg started to bounce and he began to tap his fingers once again, now to the same rhythm. Where was his dad? He was rarely ever late.

His phone buzzed and he quickly grabbed it from his pocket. The screen flashed at the sight of his face, revealing a text from Lydia.

Red❤️: Traffic is ungodly!! Your father and I are stuck next to each other at a red light lol. I know you're probably worrying, he'll be there soon. I love you!!!

Feeling much better, Stiles let out an audible breath and shoved his phone away. Natalie came with the coffees, just the way he had asked for them, and he grabbed for the one with creamer.

Natalie smiled to him before walking away to take care of an incoming elderly couple. Stiles glanced out of the window while sipping his coffee, watching the cars pass by the diner. It was a nice day out; the sun was shining and the clouds were full. The door jingled as another person walked inside, and the sound reminded him of his mother's old wind chimes. The distant memory of his mother suddenly made his stomach churn, and his reaction saddened him. He wished that he had better memories of his late mother.

But then again, that wasn't true. He had plenty of good memories of her. There were memories of all of their family vacations, and all of the times she'd take Stiles to lunch while his father worked. There were all the times that she'd walk him to school, even when both of them knew that she didn't have to. The times she'd read him books to fall asleep to, and of all of their movie marathons. How she'd tend to him when he was sick.