39

Chapter Thirty-Nine: A Month Later

"Jesus, Scott McCall is that you?" Liam roared as he saw him walk in. "Mikey! Give this man a bourbon, will ya?"

Liam pushed his way through the crowd to meet Scott at the bar. Scott turned to greet him. "Dunbar? Haven't seen you since...God how long has it been?"

Liam patted him on the shoulders before sitting next to him. "Uh, how long ago did they switch me out for Lahey?"

Scott bit his lip at the mention of Isaac. "Two? Three years ago. That's when Deputy Calver got killed, right?"

Liam nodded and smiled as the bartender handed him his usual whiskey. "Mhm. I remember Calver- Lahey's first partner. May he Rest In Peace, that amazing son of a bitch!" Liam raised his glass before taking a swig. 

"Yeah, he was a good guy. Isaa- Lahey liked him a lot," Scott agreed.

"But now I hear that you're partnerless. Should go talk to Stilinski and have us teamed up again, huh?" Liam laughed. The bartender poured Scott a glass. 

"Yeah..sure. When'd you find out that Lahey left?" Scott questioned, taking a sip of the burning bourbon. 

"Lahey of course," he replied and then waved to a small group of ladies across the bar. Scott raised his eyebrows at this, to which Liam responded with, "Oh don'tcha worry Scotty, that's Hayden and her friends." 

Scott looked at the group of women and noticed that Hayden had dyed her hair lighter. He looked back at the man beside him. "You and Lahey talk?"

"Occasionally. He heard that Lydia and Hayden have been working together. Stopped over just to say goodbye a few weeks ago, and to let Hayden know how great Lydia is. It was nice to see him." 

Scott sighed and drank the rest of his glass. The alcohol on his throat made him cough a few times, but he ordered another nonetheless. 

"Did he mention where he was heading?" 

"Yeah, actually. Virginia," Liam told him, "Said he wanted to go somewhere warmer but not too far away. He found a little apartment in some small town. The name started with an 'S' or something."

"An 'S'?"

"Mhm," Liam mumbled, distractedly, as he watched Hayden play pool.

"Do you think you could try to remember it?"

"Huh? Oh... Are you trying to track him down our something? Damn McCall."

"No... Just curious, that's all. We didn't really get to talk much before he left."

"Staunton, I'm pretty sure. Anyways, I gotta go teach Hayden how to be good at that game. But hey, don't be a stranger. Text me or something once in a while, will ya?"

Scott nodded, "Sure. Of course."

Liam headed off towards the girls at the pool table, and Scott finished his second drink. 

-

The birds outside chirped as Isaac woke up in his new apartment. His body ached from sleeping on the floor in the empty place. He supposed that he should invest into some new furniture, most likely later that day. It had already been a month, and his laziness was starting to take a toll on his back. No amount of blankets could make the floor less uncomfortable. He rolled over onto his side and stretched. He reached for his phone that was plugged in and had charged all night long. He let out a yawn as his eyes focused onto the screen, which was still too bright for his sleep-ridden eyes.