41

Chapter 41: Lies

The bathroom door opened and Stiles walked into their bedroom with a towel wrapped around his waist. His hair was jet black from his shower and brushed back sleekly. He walked over to his dresser, past Lydia curled up in the bedsheets with her fuzzy pajamas on, and dropped the towel to the floor. Lydia chuckled at the sight of his bare bottom as he searched for his sleep-shorts, but her laugh quietly faded as she remembered why she had been quiet all night long. 

She waited as Stiles nearly knocked himself over, twice, as he tried to get his feet through the holes of his shorts. Once they were on him, he turned around, face beet red, and climbed into bed beside her. He found her smaller body under the covers and immediately scooped her up into his arms. She pressed her back into his chest as he nuzzled his face into the crook of her neck. 

"Hi, Baby," he mumbled with a lazy smile. He was exhausted from work; his father had made him do paperwork all day long in the office. Lydia pulled his arms into her more and held him there. A small smile formed on her lips at the warmth. 

"Hi," she said.

"Can you tell me what's wrong now?" he asked. 

"What?" Lydia said, acting a little dumb. "What do you mean?"

Stiles wasn't smiling anymore, but he wasn't frowning. He stared at the lamp, contemplating if he had the energy to get back up and turn it off. "We've been together now for a while. And one thing I've learned is that a happy Lydia Martin, soon to be Lydia Stilinski, is not a quiet Lydia Martin. What's up?"

Lydia noticed how he was staring at the lamp and let out a quiet huff of annoyance. She scooted out of his hold and stretched her arm just enough to twist the small knob. The light shut off and she blindly crawled back over to her original position, where she was warm once again. Stiles quietly mumbled out a "Thank you" and waited for her to respond. 

"So you know how Hayden and Liam aren't married yet, right?" she said.

"Yeah?"

"Well she thinks she's pregnant," Lydia told him. 

"Oh... that's cool I guess-"

"What do you think about it?"

Stiles blew out air from his mouth and repositioned himself so that he was laying on his back. "I mean, good for them, right? I never really heard Liam talk about having kids, so I hope he's happy about it. Didn't you say that Hayden got him to stop drinking? Either way, though, I hope their parents don't give them any shit. I know my dad probably would, since he's old fashioned as shit."

Lydia felt her heart sink in her chest at that last comment. "I mean you've never mentioned being a father before, but that doesn't mean you'd be unhappy about it....right?"

Stiles shrugged and began to close his eyes to sleep. "I wouldn't be unhappy but I wouldn't necessarily be happy either, you know? I'd just want to be prepared and ready for it. And I'd want to be married first, to make the ol' Pops happy."

Lydia felt sick.

"Don't let them bother you, though. They'll figure it out. And it's going to be perfect when it's our time, okay? Don't think about it too much, you'll get that baby fever thing. Kidding, but get some sleep, okay?" Stiles leant over and kissed her shoulder. "I love you. Goodnight, Red."

"Goodnight," Lydia said, almost inaudibly. 

-

Isaac and Scott walked into the station together the next morning. Scott's hand was firmly pressed against the middle of the blond man's back as they walked inside. The woman at the front desk smiled brightly as she noticed that Isaac had finally come back. He strayed off to talk to her as Scott kept walking to his office. He passed Stiles, who was handing Deputy Hale a manila folder, and to his surprise he also saw Deputy Dunbar.

"Dunbar," Scott greeted, "You're up and alive this early?"

"Guess that's what happens when I see your mother, McCall. Gets me up early alright!" Liam countered back. Scott's face contorted into a deeply disturbed one. Stiles and Derek chuckled. 

"I mean he's not wrong," Derek said, "Melissa is really hot for her age."

"Hey," Scott and Stiles both barked at once in that moment. Melissa was like a mother to Stiles too for a long while in time. 

Stiles turned to Derek and laughed. "Actually, didn't Melissa choose your old ass uncle over you a few years ago?"

Scott's eyes widened. "You tried getting with my mother?"

Derek put up his hands in defense. "If it makes you feel any better, I didn't know that she was your mother."

"That's fucking disgusting," Scott said, shaking his head. He turned on his heels and continued his way to his office. He slammed the door shut. 

"Dunbar," Stiles said and lightly grabbed Liam by the shoulder. "I heard about you and Hayden. Congrats!"

Liam toothily smiled brightly, "Thanks, Stilinski. I'm so excited." 

"Is Hayden excited?"

"Of course she is! We've been trying for so long," he told him. "Finally, the timing was right and we have the money now. Everything's falling into place." 

"That's really amazing, man. Lydia told me about it last night. I know it's a little early but I want to let you know now that if you ever need a babysitter, or anything really, just call me."

Liam's eyebrows furrowed and his lips parted out of confusion. "What?"

"What?"

"Babysit?"

"Uhuh."

"Why would we need you to babysit our new house, Stilinski?" Liam laughed. 

"House? Wait, what?"

"Hayden and I just bought a house," Liam stated.

"What about the baby?" Stiles asked, completely and utterly lost in the conversation that he had started. 

"What baby? Stilinski are you day drinking again? Lucky bastard," Liam teased, mumbling the last part to himself. 

"Lydia told me that Hayden's pregnant..." Stiles told him. Liam shook his head.

"Hayden doesn't want kids," he told him, "I mean if she was I'd be ecstatic, but no, she isn't."

Stiles looked at him, waiting for him to tell him that he was fucking around with him. But Dunbar's facial expressions didn't falter. Stiles began to wonder why Lydia lied to him, and he rubbed his eyes with his fingers. He cupped his face in his hand before slowly sliding them down his face, resting his hands in front of his mouth.

"Hayden's not pregnant," Stiles said and sighed a breath of disbelief. "Lydia is."

Liam cautiously reached out his hands and patted Stiles on the shoulders. "Hey, everything's going to be fine. Alright? Don't look so down about this..."

"I'm not down about it, just... fuck I don't know what I am."