36

Chapter Thirty-Six: I Need To Let You Go

Isaac swiped the back of his hand against his forehead, wiping the salty sweat away and moving his blond curls out of his eyes. He crouched back down through the open door of his truck and continued to vacuum the crumbs and countless McDonald's fries off the floor. 

Once he was finished, Isaac stuffed the car vacuum into the cramped backseat area and stood up. He cracked his back, exhaled, and headed back towards his apartment building. The six-foot-two man stomped his feet up the two flights of stairs to where a dozen boxes met him in front of his door. 

Isaac was moving out. And not just out... Isaac was moving away. 

For the next half hour, Isaac walked back and forth from the boxes to his car. Once he put the last cardboard box in the rear of his truck, he wiped his hands onto his pants and sighed. This was it. He was leaving New York. His friends. His family. He was leaving his whole life behind. Was it irrational? Unnecessary? Isaac didn't know for certain. He just didn't want to hurt anymore. 

Seeing his apartment empty felt odd. It looked unrecognizable. He couldn't believe that he was really leaving. Seeing it so bare made him sad in a way, but he knew that he'd eventually settle into another and would forget about this one. 

Hopping into his truck, Isaac glanced at the empty box in the passenger seat, labelled "STATION" messily with a thick black sharpie marker. Now remembering his last stop before leaving for another city far away - perhaps Boston or maybe even Portland, because Isaac was a little indecisive and made all his best decisions on the spot - Isaac put the truck into drive. 

As he walked into the police station, Isaac was greeted by the smell of fresh coffee and strawberry donuts. Sheri, one of the older deputies who was put on front desk duty, looked up from her crosswords book and offered him a smile. She nudged the donut box closer towards the edge for him to grab one. 

"Trying to fatten me up?" he said with a laugh, taking one with sprinkles into his large hand. The older woman chuckled too and shook her head, a smile splayed on her lips. 

"Of course!" she joked back, "Got to make sure that the new guy looks well taken care of! Can't have anyone thinking bad about New York now, eh?"

"You're right. Here, I'll take another for the road."

"You know where you're heading yet?" she curiously asked as his empty hand grabbed for another pink frosted dessert. 

"Not really... I know I want to stay on the east coast, but I'm not too sure on north or south of here," he told her. "You suggest anywhere?"

"My daughter moved to Cape Cod a few years ago. She loves it up there. Massachusetts is a nice state, but from what I've heard the cops are assholes."

"Who's an asshole?" Scott asked as he walked up to the two, coming out of his office.

Isaac shifted uncomfortably and flashed his eyes in the direction of the other man. "The cops up in Mass."

"Why? What'd they do?"

"Nothing, nothing," Sheri said and returned to her crosswords. She fixed her glasses, moving them farther up the bridge of her brown nose. "Lahey doesn't know where to go; I just offered a suggestion. That's all, my dear." 

Scott bit his cheek. "Doesn't know where to go? For what?" His question was directed at Isaac now, and his brown eyes bore into Isaac's blue ones. 

"I'm leaving town," he said vaguely.

"For what? Vacation? You know, Jacksonville's quite nice--"

"I'm moving, Scott."

"Bullshit," Scott said in disbelief.