6

Chapter Six: Jacob Knows

Lydia and Elias walked into the little diner their mother waitressed at. As the two stepped inside she was greeted by the smell of coffee. It wasn't busy today, just a few people here and there.

They sat down at a booth and waited for Natalie to come over. Elias immediately took the cup full of crayons and started drawing on the placemat.

Natalie, who spotted her kids while giving a man his change, walked over and smiled. "What's up?" she said. Lydia rarely ever came to the diner.

"Elias wanted to come here to eat," Lydia told her mother. Natalie ran her hand through her son's long hair, which made him groan slightly. "And I was wondering if there was any job openings?"

Natalie's eyes widened. "What did you do?"

"What? I didn't do anything. I just need the extra money, I guess. I promised Danny I'd buy him a new skateboard," Lydia said.

Natalie looked around to make sure all her customers were content and didn't need anything before sitting down next to her son, which was across from Lydia.

"Speaking of Danny, any news from him?" her mother asked. Lydia sadly shook her head no.

"He's not answering my texts or calls," she said, "I don't know why." Natalie shrugged and sighed.

"He promised you he'd come back, and I believe him," she told her daughter. Lydia smiled small.

"Mom, I want mac and cheese," Elias said. Natalie placed a kiss on his head and nodded.

"Okay, Munchkin."

Natalie stood up and looked at her daughter once more. "I'll go ask Kristin if there are any openings." Lydia nodded and her mother went back to work.

The bells on the door jingled, signaling that someone was coming in. Lydia's eyes glanced towards the door and she noticed a familiar man walking inside with another man.

She saw the moles dotting his jawline and his long brown hair that was neatly put back by gel. Lydia recognized him instantly. She's seen him enough times to remember.

Lydia averted her eyes back to her little brother, who was coloring in his race car with a red crayon. She knew her face was red and she knew she was starting to sweat.

Her mother brought Elias his food and then walked away to serve someone else.

"Eli?" Lydia said quietly. He looked up at her.

"What?"

"Hurry up and eat," She said.

"Why?"

"Elias."

"Okay okay, jeez."

Elias started stuffing his face with mac and cheese. Lydia would've told him to use his manners but she couldn't at a time like this. Not when there was a ninety-nine percent chance of her getting caught.

It was a small bowl of macaroni so it didn't take the little boy long to eat. When he was finished Lydia put down five dollars on the table and stood up. She grabbed Elias' hand and turned around to walk out the door.

It would've worked if she watched where she was going as she turned around. She ended up banging into someone. And with her luck, it was the cop she was trying to hide from.

"I'm sorry," he said, stepping away. When he looked at her his eyebrows furrowed. "Do I know you from somewhere?"

"Um, no I don't think so," Lydia said while taking a step towards the door. "I've never seen you before...not at all," she stuttered.

Elias yanked at her hand and Lydia looked down at him. "Okay, come on lets go home."

Lydia and Elias walked out the door and Stiles stared at them as he watched them walk out of his view.

He started to think hard. Stiles knew he had seen her before. And then it clicked.

He ran out of the diner and looked around. She was nowhere in sight.

• • •

As Lydia entered the trailer she noticed Jacob in her bed. She walked closer and noticed he had found her black duffle bag. He looked at her and he held up one of her spray paint cans.

"So this is what you fucking do?" he said, "You go around town spray painting shit?"

"Put it down you asshole!" Lydia screamed and tried to grab for her bag. He slapped her hands away.

"All of the graffiti, it's yours?" Jacob asked.

Lydia looked over at Elias, who was staring blankly at them both. "Elias, go to your room–"

"I might be younger than you guys," Elias said, "But I'm not as clueless as everyone thinks. I have the right to know, too." With that, Elias walked into his room and slammed his door shut.

Jacob and Lydia sighed. She leaned onto the table and put her hand on her head. Jacob got off of her bed.

"No, they aren't all mine," she told him. "I don't do the symbols and words and shit. Mine are different, you can tell. Mine aren't graffiti at all. They're art, street art. There's a difference."

"Why didn't you just tell me?" Jacob asked, "It's not bad."

Lydia sighed and looked at him. "When Dad left we all dealt with it differently. Mom barely left her room, Elias didn't speak, and you got depressed. This is how I managed to get through it. I painted it, I painted my feelings and my emotions towards what he did to this fucking family. I was scared that you and mom would get angry." Lydia took a deep breath. Jacob wrapped his arms around her.

"Allison and Danny helped me with this. I wanted to tell you, I wanted you to be involved too. Danny thought it would be a good idea as well, to let someone other than them know. But then shit happened and I can't have you involved right now."

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"I'm wanted," Lydia laughed, as if it was a joke, "The cops are after me."

"What?" Jacob said and pulled away. "Tell me that you're fucking kidding right now."

"Nope."

"Lydia–"

"But I have it under control, okay? Trust me, Jake," she told him. "I got this."