38

Chapter 38: Reconciliation and Endings

Jacob turned onto his side, shifting the heavy brown and black blankets on top of him. He exhaled quietly and continued to stare into the darkness of the hallway. All the lights were off in Jeff's house except for a nightlight in the kitchen to the left of the hall. Jacob, deciding that he needed to get up to go pee, kicked the blankets off and sat up from the couch.

Jacob lazily rubbed his eyes and stood to his feet, to which his kneecap popped. The noise startled him, but it only made him sigh before making his way through his father's home. His footsteps were quiet as they stepped onto the hardwood flooring. Barely remembering the layout of the house, he paused for a moment to think. As he thought, he heard his mother quietly crying in the room to his right.

Jacob stood in front of the door to the guest bedroom and peered through the small crack of the open door. Natalie, facing the opposite direction of the door, was looking at the moon through the window. Her quiet sobs made his heart hurt more than it already was.

Questioning whether or not to go and console his mother, Jacob realized it'd probably be best to let her be. He continued his way down the hallway, passing framed photos on the wall of his father's new family. Jacob stopped to look at one in particular where his father stood, smiling and holding his newborn son, Timothy. His wife was to his side, smiling too. Jacob wondered where those two were tonight. The baby wasn't in his nursery, and Jeff's wife wasn't there, at home, with her hurting husband. Jacob eventually found the bathroom and creeped inside.

As Jacob went to the bathroom, he felt guilty for not going to check on his mom. He quickly washed his hands and walked out, drying his hands on his sleep shorts. When he approached his mother's room once again, Natalie was hidden under the blankets. The moon's light reflected off of her barely-visible auburn hair. She had heard him awake and in the bathroom, to which made her feel embarrassed and decide to finally go to sleep.

Returning to the couch in the living room, Jacob covered himself back up with his blankets. He finally let his eyes close and soon he was fast asleep, dreaming of the little boy that he loved more than anything and everything.

-

The knocking startled Stiles out of his Sunday-afternoon nap. He sat up, and for a moment he thought he had dreamt the noise. But when it came again, much harder this time, Stiles kicked off his comforter and stumbled out of his bedroom. Down the hall, Max was sat in front of the door grumbling at the culprit on the other side.

"Hey," Stiles said, looking down at the bulldog, "Hush." The dog got up and walked away as Stiles opened the door.

Scott's fist was still in the air, ready to strike the wooden door once more, as the door opened in front if him. The tan man looked up and slowly retreated his hand to his side.

Scott looked terrible, like he hadn't taken care of himself in a few weeks. His stubble was grown out into untidy black hairs and his under-eyes were a light purple. He was clothed in what looked like something he had slept in recently.

"Can I come in?" he asked, his voice unsure and sullen.

Stiles nodded once and bit his cheek as he stepped aside to let the other man by. He closed the door behind him, and turned to find Scott sitting on the couch. Stiles made his way to him, but stayed standing.

"So, uh," Stiles started and cleared his throat, "What's up, Scott?"

Scott sighed and put his head into his hands. "Have you heard from Isaac?"

Stiles shook his head and curled his lips. "Nope."

"What? Why not?"

"Scott...I haven't really been talking to either of you lately."