44

Chapter Forty-Four: "Tell me how much you want me, Princess."

The clouds above slowed as the color in the sky drained out into them, turning the once fluffy white clouds into a rug of gray. Soon, it was pouring heavy droplets onto the ground below. Stiles watched all of those caught outside scramble for their jackets to hold above their heads. A woman shrieked in annoyance, a little girl took refuge under her mother's arm. Stiles pulled into his complex and parked in his usual spot.

A moment after pulling his keys from the ignition, he opened his sun visor and looked at himself in the mirror. He slicked back his hair with his hand and patted down the strays until they complied with him. Once he had fixed his eyebrows, he closed the visor and looked at the passenger seat, where a bouquet of red roses rested. He smiled thoughtfully and grabbed them before exiting the jeep.

He opened the front door with his key card and waltzed inside. His smile was still plastered onto his face, regardless of the fact that the small amount of time it took to get inside had soaked him down to the bone. He passed a few of his neighbors as he walked down the hall, to which he politely waved. Gladys, an elderly woman with white hair and too many cats, smiled her usual gummy smile and wished him a good evening.

Once he had reached his front door, he hid the flowers behind himself as he jammed his keys into the lock. He expected Lydia to be in the living room, but when he stepped inside he saw that she wasn't. Her car had been parked next to his in the parking lot, so he knew that she was indeed home. She wasn't in the kitchen either.

"Red?" he called out to her, as he fumbled with taking off his wet shoes. A petal fell off of one of the roses, and he muttered a 'shit!' to himself before kicking it to the side. She didn't respond to him, but he knew that she had to be in the bedroom, as the bathroom door was wide open and that was the only possibility left. "Baby?"

Stiles gently pushed open their bedroom door to see her standing in front of the mirror, with her pants unbuttoned, low on her hips, and in a ribbed tank top. Her red hair, which seemed to have a more fiery tint than usual, dropped over her bare, freckled shoulders. Her hands rested on her stomach, where a tiny baby-bump was now evident.

"Sorry," she apologized and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear mindlessly, "I zoned out. How was your day?" Her eyes watched his in the mirror, and he couldn't help but notice that they were red and puffy. Her lips were an irritated color, as if bit and licked at too many times.

"It was nice," he told her and stepped closer, the roses still concealed behind him. "What's wrong, Baby?"

Lydia shrugged and glanced at his arm, clearly hiding something. "What's this?" she asked curiously, her voice perking up.

Stiles smiled and his cheeks warmed. "I just felt like getting you something," he admitted and revealed the flowers. "I missed you all day at work and wanted to surprise you."

Lydia grinned and grabbed the roses cautiously, avoiding the prickers. "Thank you, Stiles," she said and breathed in their fresh scent.

"Of course...but what's wrong? Why do you look like you've been crying?" he asked, gently grabbing her chin and tilting her head up to look at him. He smiled softly. "You're so beautiful, you know that?"

"Even with my pregnant belly?" she sadly laughed. Stiles' eyebrows furrowed.

"What? Lydia, you'll always be beautiful. Being pregnant doesn't change that one bit. You're gorgeous, Baby."

Lydia placed the flowers onto their dresser and wrapped her arms around him. She pulled him into her and rested her head against his lower chest. "I know," she admitted, "I just really needed to hear that."