3

Chapter Three: Let Him Go

Lydia pulled the lit joint away from her lips and she breathed out a puff of smoke into the night's chilly air. She watched as the grey smoke disappeared into the night. Danny looked over and she passed it to him.

"I thought Allison was coming?" Lydia asked as Danny took a drag. He shrugged and blew out a breath. He gave it back to Lydia.

"Her father came home today," Danny told her and reached up to fix his brown beanie. "She busted her ass to pick up the garage but he came home earlier than she expected. He wasn't pleased to see what she had done to the garage while he was away."

"Did he freak out on her? And because of what? Some spray paints here and there, and plastic shavings?" Lydia let out a sarcastic chuckle and placed the blunt back to her mouth.

"Seth wrecked the place, from what I gathered. She was hysterical when she called me tonight. I guess Seth was piss drunk and Allison couldn't calm him down. Chris is an over protective dad, or as protective as an 'I'm barely ever home' father can be," Danny said as he slowly swung his legs off of the bridge they were sitting on, "You know he doesn't like Seth. He's a shitty boyfriend to her, anyways. Chris knew that Allison could've gotten hurt and it scared the shit out of him."

"Yeah," Lydia said and threw the joint into the water under them. "At least you know he cares, though." She looked down and watched as the little flicker of orange light died as it sank into the river. "I wish that he'd do something about Seth, though. He's going to end up hurting Allison one way or another."

"I know, but she is nineteen. Chris really can't tell her who she can and cannot date anymore," He paused for a moment. "I know he's rarely ever home, but she's lucky to have a father like Chris." Danny chuckled sadly, "We're stuck with jackasses for fathers."

Lydia looked over at her best friend, and she leaned her head onto his shoulder. "He'll come around eventually," Lydia said quietly. Danny shook his head.

"I just should've never told him," he sighed. Danny rubbed his face and slightly pulled away from the smaller girl. "He won't even look at me in the eyes anymore."

"You didn't do anything wrong, Danny. You shouldn't have to keep such a big part of yourself secluded. You are who you are, and you can't change that. You know?" Lydia patted his shoulder lightly. "And you know what Danny-Boy? You're an amazing person, and I wouldn't have you any other way."

Danny smiled and wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling her closer to him. She giggled and he placed a kiss on her forehead.

"You know, we'd make a great couple, huh? I mean, if I was straight," Danny teased, trying to lighten the mood. Lydia laughed and jokingly agreed. A few minutes of peaceful silence went by. They heard the faint sound of cars driving past the park in the distance.

"How'd things go with you today?" he asked, referring to when she took his motorcycle to spray paint the store.

Lydia thought back to the cop that had almost caught her, but she knew better than to tell him about it. He'd freak out, and she needed his bike.

"Everything went fine," she said. "Nothing unusual." Danny nodded and leaned his head against hers.

"Are you going to need my motorcycle tomorrow?"