35

Chapter Thirty-Five: Goodbyes

The weather outside wasn't as forecasted. What should've been a warm summer day, a day Elias deserved, turned out to be cold and dreary. Rain droplets splattered onto the jeep's windshield much faster than the old, starting-to-rust wipers could handle. The wind blew the trees in a way that looked as if they'd snap- but they didn't. The world was mourning Elias, too.

The service and funeral were bleak, as expected. But all who attended knew that this melancholy feeling would continue to linger over them long after. It'd linger over them on good days, hiding behind smiles and laughter; it'd linger over them on bad days, behind tears and silent cries. Elias impacted everyone's lives greatly, and many didn't realize it until now- until it was too late. 

The skirt of Lydia's thin black dress danced in the cold wind as she stared down at the freshly placed grave stone in front of her feet. As her eyes took in the stone and quickly filled with tears. Stiles took off his jacket and draped it over her shoulders. He held her tight, hugging her against his hip.

"What am I going to do with the flowers?" she asked quietly. "I can't plant them around his... The wind'll ruin them." 

"We can always come back tomorrow, Red," he told her and kissed the top of her head. 

"I don't want to come back tomorrow," she cried, "I can't. The flowers, they might start to wilt. Stiles, I can't-"

"Okay, it's okay," he sadly said and pulled her head into his chest. "I'll take care of the flowers."

-

Taking his hands out of his damp pockets, Stiles placed them down onto the counter as he sat down at the bar. He signaled for the bartender who nodded at him in return. The bartender put his small white towel over his shoulder. His eyebrows raised.

"Haven't seen you here in a while," he told Stiles, to which Stiles blew out a shaky laugh. 

"Missed you too, Hobbs. I'll have a whiskey, thanks," he said in response, looking down at his lightly-trembling hands. 

As Hobbs poured the alcohol into a square glass he asked Stiles if he was alright and where he'd been for the past few weeks. Stiles, being Stiles, responded sarcastically at first with "If I told you, you'd go just as crazy as I've been," but then told him the horrors that had unfolded recently. 

"Well fuck me, Stilinski," an approaching man said behind him. "My condolences. I'm so sorry."

Stiles turned to see that it was Liam Dunbar. He smiled small at him and nodded his head before taking a gulp of the burning whiskey. The ice clanked against the glass as he put it down onto the counter, still half full. Liam sat himself onto the stool next to him.

"He was only ten?"

Stiles inhaled sharply and cleared his throat. "...yeah."

Liam murmured "My usual" to Hobbs and then looked back over at Stiles. "What kind of world are we living in?"

"One that fuckin' kills kids apparently."

And then the two sat in silence while others in the small bar talked, cheered, and laughed around them; all involved in different conversations and drinking games. And for one moment, just for a split second, Stiles wished that they could all feel the grief and pain that he felt. Because while they all laughed and drank, Stiles couldn't stop thinking about little Elias who was just so full of life; who loved mac and cheese, and board games, and laughing. And then his lifeless body getting zipped up into a black bag and towed away. Natalie and Lydia screaming. Jacob arriving a minute too late, only to see the ambulance with his brother's body inside driving away. Lydia sleeping too much during the days and crying through the nights. Alone. In the bathroom. Not letting Stiles in. 

"You've been okay, though?" Stiles suddenly asked, trying to steer his thoughts to anything else. He hadn't realized that he had been biting his nails. One was now bleeding. He wiped it onto his black pants. 

"Me? Oh...Uh. Yeah, I've been fine," Liam said and scratched his head. "Hayden and I have been working things out. She also got a new job, which makes her a lot happier now, so that contributes to why things have been better, too. She's a contractor; she made her own business so she doesn't have to work under a shitty boss. I guess Hayden's been working on this cool project downtown, it's a museum or some shit. Pretty neat."

"That sounds awesome," he said interestedly as an idea emerged into his head. Liam instantly saw the hopeful gleam in his eyes. "Listen, can I ask you for a favor?"

-

Writers Note:

Hello everyone, I'm so so so sorry. I know many of my original readers probably have grown out of wattpad and teen wolf fan fictions but I can't let this story go unfinished. if you've been waiting for me to finish this story for the past 3 years I'm so sorry. I know it's taken so long and I do have my reasons but I just wanna skip through that all and apologize. 

Please leave comments! I read every single one and they inspire me to write more. I'll be posting the next few (last) chapters soon I PROMISE. 

I'm planning on finishing this AU and then copying all of these chapters into a google doc and editing the names of the characters, errors, and rewriting this to update my 13 year old self's writing to my nearly 17 year old's writing style. I'm hoping to be able to actually publish this story (edited) eventually to be a real book because I love it so much.

I'm working on non-fanfic stories and I've been super insecure to even try posting them. Would anyone even bother reading them? They're all supernatural based, like ghosts and vampires, so lmk in the comments or on my wall or in DMs.

Thank you for reading!! <3

Love,

Alison