Around The Fire

STEF POV

As we all happily finished decorating the tree and were sipping on drinks around the fire it was nice to just relax as everyone seemed to be getting along, laughing, and chatting about any and everything. The snow also was picking up once again and as the night wore on Lena had moved closer and closer to me.

"One fucking Christmas my mother made me give all my toys to the less fortunate! I was so fucking annoyed!" Julius spills out as I can't help but laugh as does everyone else.

"Well god forbid you have to part with your things, Julius." Ryan teases.

"All my toys, baby! All of them! Who does that?! Mean woman, I tell you down right cruel."

"How old were you?" I ask sipping my wine as I feel Lena looking at me.

"I was a young lad." Julius brushes me off.

"A young lad?" I say laughing my ass off. "How old? Amuse us."

"What dos it matter, honey girl! Besides did you even GET anything for your Christmases? Or did you get Bibles?"

"Julius." Lena warns as I shake my head.

"Actually I did. I got Bibles and dresses."

"Jesus, you poor child! Your mother put you in those fuggly things! Did she turn you into a nun? They seem like strict asses!"

"She dressed me like her, Julius. I was the only girl so I guess she tried to make me like herself."

"So there's two of you walking around? OR WAS?" Julius sits forward, bugged eyed as Lena giggles.

"Was. I stopped well...partly stopped trying to please my mother years ago. She has her own way about things that's for sure and ways I don't agree with. She um...she's interesting. And being the only girl out of 8 boys I guess she wanted a little twin. Well six boys now." I say sipping my drink again.

"Wow eight brothers? Jesus LORD! Your Mama and Daddy were busy!" Julius says as I laugh again. "But why only six now?"

"I lost two in the war." I say as I clear my throat and everyone looks at me.

"That's not right." Jerry says now as I see Tess is staring at me but with no hostility now. In fact, I can't really read her at the moment. "So you lost Mike and two brothers?"

"Yeah. Life happens." I shrug my shoulders as I notice the room is unsure what to say, and I feel Lena move even closer to me and now holding my hand for everyone to see.

"It's ok." She says as I smile warmly at her and she gently tucks my hair behind my ear. Blushing the room is even more quiet as I take another sip of my drink and clear my throat.

"But back to you, Julius. How old were you!? I see you've managed to skirt the question," I laugh softly as he shakes his head dramatically.

"Jesus woman you don't let up! Do you?"

"NOPE. HOW OLD?"

"Uggggh. I was a mere 15, okay? I was very young and immature!"

"15!!!" Tess yells. "Are you kidding, you spoiled brat! I didn't get anything at 15, in fact I never got anything for Christmas."

"Well sorry I wasn't born in a slave shack on a plantation like you, honey. I didn't ask to be Julius Rivera!"

"Oh my god did you just say that?" Ryan says shaking his head as he squints his eyes and rubs his eyebrows.

"I was not born in a slave shack, you idiot!" Tess says almost laughing as this conversation is rather amusing as Lena now rests her head in my lap and I run my fingers through her soft curls.