A New Friend

STEF POV

"I mean I wasn't an Army brat, but I guess joining was something I fell into." Ryan says as we had stopped at the little coffee shop in town as Lena was shopping for something I wasn't supposed to see along with Gary and Marty.

Ryan was proving to be just as sweet as I thought as we both sipped on coffee, and he told me a little about his life. Something about him seemed all too familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it just yet. "But my mom wasn't happy with me for joining."

"No? I can imagine being you were her only son. But I'm sure she's relieved you made it home."

"She is. You know she wouldn't talk to me. She was so stubborn that she wouldn't talk to me when I told her I signed up. She wouldn't kiss me goodbye or nothing."

"I think because she loves you. If I was your mother I wouldn't want you to go either. You're very sweet, Ryan."

"Thanks, Stef. But, you have how many brothers?"

"Oh, um, eight. I'm the only girl." I laugh softly as I run my fingers over the mug's handle.

"Wow. But I mean it must have had some advantages? It explains why you're so tough. I know boys can be brutal!"

"Ha! Well I wasn't always tough. I had to grow into it. But yeah, my brothers tossed me around here and there. It had it's advantages and disadvantages but um...they um...they are good guys." I say not getting into the two brothers I lost as I sip my coffee. "But, Lena tells me you own a bakery now right? That's fun!"

"Oh yeah. I do like it. It's nice having your own business, your own schedule and seeing something you created be successful."

"MM, I can only imagine. That's wonderful for you, love. " I say smiling as he returns it. "And it must be nice to work and own a business with your other half."

"Yeah, that's another bonus. Except when he makes me crazy." He laughs as I do the same.

"Well..that's the thing about your other half. They are meant to make you nuts."

"Ha, no kidding. But um...where are you from, Stef?"

"Ahh, all over, babe. I mean I've lived everywhere. Kansas, the longest."

"Ohh, what was your favorite place?" He asks as I sip my coffee.

"MM, good question. I'd' have to say California."

"Oh man! You should move back! I mean...or to Seattle. You and Lena seem really close. She'd probably love your company." He hints as I clear my throat as I hear the door chime. Looking up, I see Lena walk in, beaming with a few bags.

"Hey, I figured you were in here," she grins as she sets her bags down and pulls out the chair next to me. I smile softly at her as I pull out my wallet.

"Here, go get some coffee, sweets," I wink as she blushes.

"Stef, I have my own money."

"Yes, and it's my treat," I meet her eyes as she looks away, shaking her head and taking the money as she walks to the counter.

"You like her," I hear Ryan say softly as I look back at him, confused.

"Well, yes. She's one of my best friends," I laugh awkwardly as he shakes his head and looks right at me.

"Ya, but I'm pretty observant, Stef. It's okay. I won't say anything. I get it."

I clear my throat as I can feel the heat in my face as I lift my mug to my mouth, and he looks at Lena as she is walking back. I'm not sure what to say at this moment, but does he really know what I think he knows? I can't be THAT obvious, can I?