xix. seeing through illusions

Start from the beginning

"Thank you," said Hermione with a smile before she ran up the staircase. She took a deep breath and opened the door. Her eyes widened when she saw the House Ghosts, Peeves and Moaning Myrtle there, playing a ghost version of Exploding Snap.

"Why are you here?" Myrtle said, glaring at Hermione over her glasses.

"Er..."

"Oh, don't be like that, Myrtle," said Helena. "She's Deanna's friend, remember?"

"Is that so?" said Peeves, flying to Hermione and looking her up and down. "Are you our Daredevil's friend?"

"Y-Yes. The gargoyle let me in," said Hermione meekly. She was looking at Sir Nicholas for help. He was the only one she ever had a conversation with among the ghosts, and the mischievous look on Peeves' face, the glaring of Myrtle and the staring of the Bloody Baron weren't helping her nerves.

"Her room is upstairs," said the Fat Friar before they went back to the Exploding Snap they were playing.

"Thank you," said Hermione as she walked past them and up to Deanna's room. She frowned slightly when it was empty, and the only things that were left were the phoenix wallpaper and the furniture. She sat down on the bed and smoothed the sheets, looking around the room. Her eyebrows furrowed when she saw a piece of paper, stuck behind the mirror. Hermione walked over to it and pulled it out.

"She always talks about you," said a voice behind her. Hermione dropped the paper and her eyes widened when she saw the Bloody Baron there.

"W-What do you mean?" asked Hermione while picking up the paper, her cheeks flushing.

"We all know you because she's told us about you," said the Bloody Baron, staring at her, which made Hermione feel even more anxious. "Deanna Dumbledore has gone through a lot. Do not dare hurt her. It won't only be Peeves, coming after you. She has all of us behind her."

"What-" But before she could finish her sentence, the Bloody Baron flew out the door and Hermione was left alone in the room. She let out a sigh and sat back on the bed, opening the paper.

Dear Hermione Granger,

Though the chances are low, I hope you find your way to the Headmaster's office and read this piece of paper. I'm sorry that I have to go and leave without a farewell. I do wish you're taking care of yourself. You should be sleeping well, eating well and take a break from your work and just go to the kitchen and have a butterbeer. Don't worry, it won't be long until we meet again. Even if we're miles apart, I'll come back to you, Hermione. I always will.

Love,

Deanna

Hermione let out a shaky chuckle and wiped away the tears that fell from her eyes. Even Deanna's letter had the ability to make Hermione feel happier than she had in days. Deanna may not be by her side, but she was coming back, and Hermione would hold on to that.

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

"Great job, little phoenix," said Dumbledore proudly, letting the spell finally fall. Deanna grinned at him and let herself fall on the ground, watching the sky. Dumbledore chuckled and sat down beside her.