𝙃𝙖𝙥𝙥𝙮 𝘽𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙝𝙙𝙖𝙮

Thursday, October 22

The golden sun poured through the cracks in the blind and awaited entrance into her eyes. Shedding herself of the remaining glimpses of a dream, her eyes remained shut as she soaked in the warmth of her covers before letting her brown eyes shimmer in the sun's rays.

Happy 18th birthday, Choi Hanbyul.

She wished herself, stretching as she sat up on the comfy bed. There was no way she could go to school on time if she laid back down ... but then again, who was to oppose if she said she didn't want to attend school?

She forced herself off the bed and headed to the washroom, determined to get a start on the day. After taking a quick bath and doing her usual morning routine, Hanbyul walked out of the bathroom, straight to her closet. She grabbed her uniform; a plaid skirt, white long-sleeved shirt and a black sweater.

Though it is my birthday, it isn't exactly a special day, Choi Hanbyul reminded herself as she packed her schoolbag and walked towards the kitchen wondering what to prepare for breakfast.

She lived alone, her only family being her brother, Choi Hyunsuk, but it's not like it ever mattered, as he was never home — more like he couldn't stay under the same roof as her. Occupational hazards, he said.

Sighing to herself as she poured the readymade soup sachet into the boiling water, Hanbyul wondered if her brother even remembered her birthday. He never misses it, but he did mention that he wouldn't be able to celebrate it with her this year. And she said it was fine – even though it wasn't. She didn't want to seem like an ungrateful bitch.

The brunette didn't even bother with a spoon and drank the soup from the bowl itself, blowing on it to cool down. As she grabbed an apple, the doorbell rang, startling her.

Who could it be? Her heart sped up at the thought of it being her brother waiting outside the door, to wish her a happy birthday.

Hanbyul ran as fast she could to the door, opening it with such gusto that she initially thought it pulled off its hinges.

She bit her lip, drawing back her disappointment at the person standing beside door not being the one she anticipated. Hiding behind a bouquet of tulips and roses was Yoon Jaehyuk, her childhood best friend. He smiled as he saw her, his eyes turning into crescents at the action, and walked into the house.

"Good morning, Jaehyuk." She greeted, smiling back. "Why so early?" She questioned, knowing there was still half an hour left till he came to pick her.

"Happy birthday, Hani! I know you are disappointed, so I –"

"I'm not disappointed! How could I be?!" She denied the claim, pretending to be cheerful.

The raven-haired boy raised his brows, eyeing her skeptically. "Right, you are not disappointed. And I'm Park Jimin!" He sarcastically droned, rolling his eyes. "The flowers are from boss hyung," he mumbled, laughing when her eyes lit up at his words.

She took the flowers, suddenly interested in the arrangement of the tulips and roses. My brother sent these for me? It wasn't much, really. Deep down, she knew these flowers held no significance. He probably ordered one of his men to get this bouquet and leave it at Jaehyuk's doorstep ... even so, it was from her brother. And it meant the world to her.

"They are so pretty," she muttered, touching the flowers softly, careful not to damage them.

"Ah!" Jaehyuk exclaimed, chuckling. "That's not the only thing that's pretty. Here's your gift! And I bet it's better," he flaunted, feeling high-and-mighty about the gesture.

Hanbyul stifled a giggle, thanking her best friend as she took the gift from him. Definitely clothing, she concluded, seeing the rectangular box. As she opened it, her eyes widened at the maroon dress inside the box. She held it up, allowing the box to drop and pressed the dress to her body before posing for Jaehyuk.

"Aw, Jae, you are right. This is prettier." She laughed at Jaehyuk's triumphant grin. "Thank you for the dress. But why?" She asked, curious why the usual hoodie and sweater buyer promoted to a dress.

"You can wear this when you get boss hyung's gift." He kept smiling the entire time, she didn't even get to see his pupils once, it was all crescents.

"What do you mean?"

"You're going to boss hyung's annual dinner party! With me!"

"What?" Her eyes widened to the size equivalent of two saucers.

What annual dinner party? Her confused expression and silent question was noticed by Jaehyuk as he explained further to clarify her doubts.

"Hyung hosts a dinner party every year on your birthday. That's the reason he's always hurrying when he spends time with you. And today, since he can't be with you, he asked us to bring you to the party."

"Oh ..." There was an unsettling feeling in her heart. Even though I go, it's not like we will stand in front of each other and talk. He won't even give me a hug and wish me, her pessimistic thoughts attacked her. Yet she put on a wide smile and nodded, acting excited.

There's no way Jaehyuk bought that act. True, he didn't. But at least he didn't question her on it.

"We'll head out now. We can buy some birthday breakfast, my treat."

"Alright."

At least I have Jaehyuk and the boys, right?

***

i hope everyone enjoyed the first chapter! updates every monday and friday!

let me know your thoughts! and merry christmas! :)