𝙔𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙀𝙮𝙚𝙨 𝙏𝙚𝙡𝙡

please remember to vote and comment!

Tuesday, January 19

The whole aura about the house made it feel like Choi Hanbyul was stepping into it for the first time. She stood near the door, letting her eyes adjust to the darkness as she closed the door behind her.

Only the little shreds of sunlight that peaked through the closed curtains illuminated the apartment, otherwise it was pitch black. Nothing seemed to be in its place as Hanbyul remembered, making her think whether Haruto changed the layout of his house every time she came over.

This is nothing like I remember. The girl wondered as she walked through the living room, seeing many items scattered around in the once-tidy apartment. She picked up things as she went, placing them in shelves she thought fit.

Hanbyul was too scared to approach Haruto, seeing the dark aura of the house. But at the same time, she was curious. What exactly happened? She thought as she cleaned up the living room, gathering the courage to find Haruto.

Seeing all the doors in the house open, except for one, Hanbyul concluded that it was the one Haruto was in. She carefully walked towards it, raising her hand as she softly knocked on the door. No response. Hanbyul knocked again, startled when she got an answer.

"I told you to fucking leave me alone! Just go away!" He yelled, but Hanbyul heard the faint crack in his voice. Was he ... crying? She placed her hand on the door, softly breathing out.

"Haruto ... it's me, Hanbyul." She wanted to ask him to open the door, but thought against it, not wanting to force him. She was fine with staying outside if it meant he would talk to her.

Watanabe Haruto sat on the floor, hugging his knees, surprised when he heard Hanbyul's gentle, honey-like voice. He stared at the door, not understanding the force that took over him as he trudged towards the door and opened it.

He looked away as soon as he met her eyes, walking back and slumping down near the table. But that brief look was more than enough for Hanbyul. In all the three months of knowing Haruto, she had never seen that look in his eyes before.

Sorrow.

His eyes had frozen over like the surface of a winter puddle, robbing them of their usual warmth. He looked like he had taken a huge step back from life. Hanbyul wanted to console him, but she couldn't. She didn't know how. His brown eyes were damp with uncried tears, and she felt that the slightest touch would cause him to break down.

Hanbyul always knew he had a pain inside, but now, when it was visible on his face, she wished for it to just disappear. She knew it was a selfish request. People had a right to their pain, but they don't ask for it – it just arrives like a gift you never wanted.

She walked into the room, being enveloped in the darkness. Darkness came like the thick velvet curtains of the theatre. It was as if the daytime had been one part of a play and the rest was to come after this intermission of night.