𝙄𝙛 𝙈𝙖𝙩𝙖 𝘼𝙚𝙩𝙖𝙧𝙖

please remember to vote and comment!

Saturday, February 6

Choi Hanbyul woke up from the nap, covering her eyes from the bright afternoon sun. She sat on her bed, mindlessly staring at the wall for a few minutes before walking to the bathroom.

Looking at her puffy and reddened face, the brunette couldn't help but let a chuckle escape her lips. I fucking look like Rudolph. She lightened her heart with her humor, washing away the tear stains on her face.

Hanbyul was parched — probably from all the crying — and made her way towards the kitchen, grabbing a water bottle from the fridge. She downed two bottles at a go, taking swigs from her third one as she walked to the living room.

Water is your friend when you are underage for drinking. Milk too, but water just hits different, she thought, shaking her head as she chuckled to herself. All this crying has made me lose my mind.

She saw a sticky note on the coffee table, picking it up and reading it. Something came up at the base, gotta go. Junghwan will keep you company, though. — Jae. Hanbyul giggled at the rhyme, trying to see the happier side of things even though she was in a lot of pain.

But Junghwan isn't here, though? Hanbyul wondered, calling out for her friend, but stopped halfway when she spotted another sticky note. They need me at the base. Stay inside, I'll come back as soon as I can. — Rich Boi Hwan. She smiled, reading the note, placing it back on the table and leaning back on the couch.

A few minutes passed in silence before it was broken. Ring. Ring. Ring. The female jumped up at the sudden noise, turning her head towards the door as someone kept ringing it. A series of knocks followed, the bell ringing continuously, annoying Hanbyul with the loud noise.

"So Junghwan!" Hanbyul yelled, knowing it was the youngest who pulled pranks like that. "If you don't stop, so help me–" She opened the door irritably, slamming it back as soon as she saw the person on the other side.

Hanbyul scrunched her face as the male kept his foot between the door, her eye widening as she witnessed the force at which it slammed against his foot. That's gotta hurt. She opened the door, crossing her arms over her chest as she stared at him.

Watanabe Haruto winced at the pain, ignoring it as he looked over Hanbyul. He alternated his gazes, looking at his surroundings while checking on the girl. "Please, just hear me out. I'll go after that, I promise. I'll leave and you won't have to see my face again, but please, just listen to me first," Haruto begged, unsure whether the younger would give him a chance.

Her actions shocked him when she opened the door fully, gesturing him to walk inside. Closing the door behind them, Haruto awkwardly wiped his clammy hands on his pants, taking deep breaths as Hanbyul simply stared at him.

"I'm only doing this so I don't have to see your face again," she stated, but the way she looked at him contradicted with her words. Though Hanbyul's heart ached seeing Haruto after everything she heard, something just kept pulling her in.

"I won't deny anything," Haruto spoke, taking a deep breath as he maintained eye contact with the younger. "Everything you heard was the truth. When I first saw you, I noticed that Hyunsuk kept looking at you. I figured he liked you, so I thought that by getting closer to you, I could maybe get Hyunsuk to handover a few bases in Seoul," he explained while the girl kept a blank expression on her face.

"Just like you said, everything was an act. Except for the part where I needed help with schoolwork." He shrugged. "I am really bad at that." A chuckle escaped his lips, but he stopped, seeing that Hanbyul wasn't reacting to his joke.

Haruto sighed. "But the more time I spent with you, these odd feelings kept taking over the way I acted at times. I don't know what it was, but I always got those feelings when I was with you. Everything I told you at the night of the party was completely true. I've done some heartless things, so I can't exactly say it's from the heart ... but it's the truth." He took a step forward, frowning when Hanbyul took a step back.

"Everything started off on a wrong note, but after that night, you really put everything in perspective for me." Haruto smiled, adoration evident in his eyes as he watched the girl. "I know I have said 'I love you' before, but I don't think it really means anything." Hanbyul felt her stomach drop at his words, clenching her fists as she tried to control her emotions.

"I can't tell you I love you because I have never received it, nor have I given it." Haruto took another step forward and held Hanbyul's hands, smiling when she didn't pull away. "But all I can say — because I am very sure of it — is that I need you. And I really hope that you need me too. I don't care if you are Choi Hanbyul or Yoon Hanbyul, I just need my Hani."

Keep your guard, Hanbyul. You can't appear weak. She reminded herself. "Well, if that's all, then–" She started, getting cut off by the raven-haired male.

"Don't ..." Haruto raised his voice, afraid he would get rejected instantly. "... give an answer right away. I know you are mad right now, so I want you to just think over it and give me an answer. I don't care if it's the same answer as now, but I just want you to think about it." Hanbyul kept a blank face and pulled away her hands from his grip, rolling her eyes, pretending to look annoyed.

"Is that all?"

Haruto looked surprised, but nodded. "Yeah. Uh, well ... wait, there's another thing." His hands went around his neck, taking off his most prized possession. "I want you to hold on to this, as a reminder." He handed the silver necklace, holding it tightly before placing it in Hanbyul's hand.

"I understand if you need time to take this all in. I will wait for you, no matter how long it takes." Hanbyul froze as Haruto wrapped his arms around her, enveloping her in a hug. "If we meet again, I'd like to hear your answer. Thank you for everything, Hanbyul."

Choi Hanbyul watched the raven-haired male leave the house, millions of questions in her head. What did he mean by 'if we meet again'? Why did he hug me like that? As if it was the last time he would see me? What is happening? She looked down at her hands, inspecting the necklace he gave her.

Holding up the silver chain, she picked up the rectangular pendant, reading the inscription on it. Always my Ruru. Love, Mama. She knew how much Haruto's mother meant to him and getting this from him was surprising. Something was up, and she wanted to know what it was.

She looked at the necklace again, lightly running her fingers over the engraving. I'm not sure if I can, but I'd like to promise to take care of him. I know given the position I'm in I can't, but I'll try my best. She remembered the promise she made during Haruto's mother's memorial.

What am I supposed to do?

***

wow, this book is coming to an end soon and my fingers are typing slower than they used to. it's like i don't want this to end :(

but, i won't keep you guys waiting, so without further adieu, le chapter!

share the love! please remember to vote and comment!