Mama, Mama, Mama!

Catlynn's POV

"Jessica?" I said, walking in the living room at 3AM.

"Sunshine...baby girl, it's too early..." Jessica said, waking up. I sat on the couch and said, "I'm sorry Jess...I'm just nervous for my blood test." Jessica hugged me close and said, "I know you're nervous, Sunshine. Katie's gonna be there and you can call me or Elle if you want."

"It's not the same!" I said, quietly crying. Jessica kissed my cheek and said, "I know it isn't the same, but you'll be home in a half hour. It won't take longer than that. Now, go back to sleep. You need the rest." I snuggled into Jessica and eventually fell asleep.

______

"Cat...wake up." I heard. I sat up and Elle was stroking my hair. I rolled back over and pretended like I was asleep.

"Come on, Sunshine. I know you're awake." Elle said playfully. I wasn't amused, at all. I sat up and looked into Elle's eyes. "Mommy...I'm scared." I said, crying.

"I know you're scared, baby Sunshine. But Katie's going to be there with you the whole time, and she won't leave. Where's your hospital bag?" Elle said. I ran to my room and grabbed it. Elle took it from me and said, "Okay, what do you want in here? Katie will be here in five minutes."

"Nothing, because I'm not going to the hospital!" I yelled, throwing my bag across the room in anger. I ran to my bedroom and started to sob, and then the doorbell rang.

I started to panic and hid in my closet. I pulled out my phone and didn't know what to do. Evan or Alice wouldn't talk Katie out of forcing me to go, would they? Or would they just talk me out of being so scared of a little needle?

I got an idea. I put on the Nutcracker music and started to dance around my room. Dancing always calmed me down, and it was my passion. But it didn't work this time. I sighed and turned the music off, and I put my ear up against my bedroom door. I heard a lot of talking and commotion, and my name was sprinkled in there a few times. They were talking about me.

I peeked my head out the door and said, "Hi..." in a soft voice. Katie noticed me and smiled, and said, "Sunshine! Come here!" I ran to her and she hugged me tightly. I started to cry into her shoulder, and Katie said, "My poor sweet Sunshine. I know you're nervous."

"More than nervous. I'm terrified." I said. I ran to Elle and started clinging to her. Elle hugged me tightly and picked me up. "I love you, baby Sunshine. Be strong for me, okay?" Elle said. She kissed my cheek and said, "Stay strong for me. You got this." She put me down and Katie took my hand.

"Momma..." I said, reaching out for Elle's hand. Elle grabbed my hand and said, "You got this, Sunshine. I love you, I love you, I love you." I sighed and slowly let go of Elle's hand. I smiled at Elle and Jess, who smiled back.

Then, I walked out of the apartment with Katie.

________

I was sitting in the hospital waiting room, texting Red to keep my mind off of things.

"Katie?" I asked. Katie looked at me and said, "Yeah, Sunshine?"

"I'm nervous." I said. Katie sighed and said, "I know you're nervous. Wanna tell me about rehearsals? Or school? Maybe that'll get your mind off of things."

"I'd rather not." I said softly. Katie looked at me weirdly then shrugged. I started to fidget in my seat. Then, a nurse came out and said "Catlynn McLemore?" I looked at Katie and got up, squeezing her hand.

I sat down in the chair and Katie handed me my backpack. I opened it and then it hit me.

I forgot my blankie at home.

"Katie, Katie." I said, nudging Katie. She turned around and knelt down beside me. "What's wrong?" she whispered to me.

"I left my blankie in my bedroom by accident." I said, crying. Katie looked at me with horror in her eyes, dragged me off of the chair, then said to the nurse, "We'll be right back."

"Katie...can we just go home?" I asked, crying. I was a mess.

"Unfortunately, we can't, but I can see if Evan can get your blankie and bring it here. Now that I think about it, we might not have time for that. In the meantime, do you want to get the test over with? It'll only pinch for a few seconds, then it'll be over." Katie said.

I reluctantly nodded, then squeezed Katie's hand.

________

"Alright, Catlynn, are you ready?" the nurse asked. I nodded, and I sat on Katie's lap. She held me in a hug, and it felt super good.

But the nerves took over, and when the nurse tried to put the needle in, I yanked my arm away and hid it in Katie's chest, crying.

Katie held me tight and gently took my arm out. "The longer you panic, the longer we'll be in the hospital." Katie said. I started to cry, and Katie held me closer. "Hey, Sunshine, you're all right. It's okay. I'm here, I'm not going anywhere. You're being so strong and brave, I'm so proud of you. I love you so much, Sunshine."

I took a deep breath and extended my arm out again. Then, at the last second, I yanked it back.

"I need Mommy!" I yelled out. Katie held me tight and said, "Shh...you can go home as soon as this is over, I promise. Now, do you want to listen to music? Or talk about a happy memory?"

"I don't know..." I said. Katie handed me my earbuds and said, "Maybe listening to music will distract you."

I put in my earbuds and hugged Katie tight, listening to Seussical. Suddenly, I felt the pinch, but I was strong enough to just take a deep breath and not let it bother me. Katie's arms were around my waist, and she was hugging me tight. I was squeezing her wrist.

"You did it!" Katie said. I nodded and said "I did." After the test was over, the nurse said, "You did great, Catlynn. What's your favorite color?"

"Orange!" I yelled, and the nurse handed me an orange Band-Aid. "Ready to go home?" Katie asked. I nodded happily and we left the hospital.

I guess being brave was easier than I thought.

AN: You guys seem to really want Katie. Well, you got her! Hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!