...Too Late! He Got In

"D-did you just say he's in the apartment?" I begged Katie, who was frozen in fear.

"Yeah. Now be quiet. I don't want him to know you're in here." Katie said. I went back to my hiding spot in the closet.

"Where is Catherine?" my dad asked coldly.

"I'm not letting you have her." Katie said. "And that's not her name."

I started to cry a little bit. I didn't know what to do.

Then it hit me. Is there any chance I could fight him...myself?

I grabbed my phone and called 911, keeping the call as quiet as possible. That was all I could think to do at the moment.

I heard some commotion coming from the living room, and prayed I didn't hear a gunshot.

To my utter surprise, there wasn't one. Just a lot of arguing.

Had my dad finally given up on his revenge plan? I hoped he did. If that was the case, I was safe.

But knowing my dad, I probably wasn't safe. At least not for now.

But to my surprise, I heard the door slam. My dad had surprisingly left the apartment.

He was probably running from the police.

"Sunshine? He's gone now, you can come out of there." Katie said. I ran out of the closet and hugged Katie as tight as possible.

Then I heard police sirens from outside the window, and jumped. Katie kissed my head and said, "Did you call 911 or something? Because I sure didn't."

"I did. I wanted to show I was brave enough to fight him myself." I said.

"That was incredibly brave of you, Sunshine, but you should've asked me first. I didn't want your dad to overhear you and for you to get hurt." Katie said. I sighed and hugged her tight, crying into her chest. All I wanted was for my dad to be out of my life for good.

"Do you think he's gonna come back?" I asked.

"I hope not, but it is very likely, sadly." Katie said. "Just try to stay positive."

"I'm scared, though." I said, leaning on Katie.

"Why? He's gone now." Katie said.

"Because you said it's likely that he'll come back." I said. Katie kissed my head and rocked me back and forth.

"You're going to be okay, Sunshine. I love you." Katie said. "Do you want to go home?"

"More than anything." I said.

__________

"SUNSHINE!" Elle yelled to me. I hugged her super tight and said, "I missed you so much!"

"I missed you too, Sunshine." Elle said. "Are you okay?"

Katie barged into the door, holding her phone.

"He's gone." Katie said, smiling like an idiot. I hugged Katie tight and said, "How do you know? How did you find out?"

"He's getting sent to jail outside of New York. He can't touch you now." Katie said. I squealed and giggled like an idiot.

"I guess Sunshine's happy about that!" Jessica said.

"Of course I'm happy, stupid!" I said, swatting Jessica, who giggled.

I was wrapped in a group hug with Elle, Jess, and Katie, and it felt amazing. The three people I loved the most were hugging me.

"Do you guys wanna go watch a movie?" I asked.

"Sappy rom com?" Katie asked. I nodded furiously. Katie turned on the TV and switched the channel, and Jessica got some potato chips and lemon sorbet.

"Ooh, lemon sorbet! My favorite!" I said, digging my spoon in the container. Jessica snatched it from me and said, "Don't hog it all!"

"Says the woman who goes through 3 bags of family sized potato chips a week." I smirked, taking the sorbet back. "Mmm. It's all mine." I said, enjoying it.

"You know what's coming up?" Elle asked the group. I looked at her in utter confusion.

"What?" me and Katie said at the same time.

"April 4th. The day I found Cat." Elle said. I smiled, I had totally forgotten that.

"We have 3 months though." I said sadly.

"I know. I just wanted to remind everyone. And I just wanted to say, I am so glad no one got hurt." Elle said.

"I think my dad had given up." I said, slightly chuckling.

"Why?" Elle asked. "Usually these kinds of things take a while."

"Well, all he did was yell at me for 15 minutes straight about Cat. Then he left." Katie said. "I think I overreacted."

"Yeah, he's definitely done with his revenge plan." I said. "Which is good news for me. And he's arrested again. This time for good."

"Are you sure he won't escape again?" Elle asked, not joking in any way.

"He's not even in New York anymore!" I said happily.

"Wait, for real?" Elle said, silently cheering.

"This is the news I've been waiting to hear for months now!" Jessica whooped. "Cat's officially ours now!"

"I've been adopted since May, Jessica. You're a little late to the party." I laughed.

"No, what I meant was that Cat's dad can't come back and try to take her back!" Jessica yelled.

"You're hopeless." I laughed. "Now, let's celebrate!"

_________

The entire Heathers cast was gathered in the living room, along with some of my friends. Including Axel, Red, and Cesca, who I haven't seen in days.

"So, you called us here because you guys had good news?" Ryan asked, confused. Barrett shrugged as well.

"Well..." I said. "So, my dad's arrested again."

Everyone groaned and rolled their eyes. I think they expected that my dad would escape for a fourth time. I didn't have to worry about that anymore.

"OUTSIDE OF NEW YORK!" Jessica yelled, earning a bunch of cheering. I was attacked with hugs and kisses, and I could not stop smiling.

"So does that mean he can't come back?" Evan asked hopefully.

"Yep." I said, sounding more sure of myself. "This is the best news I've received in months! And speaking of good news..." I said, excited to tell my family about the music festival.

"Yes?" Alice asked, smiling.

"I got accepted into a music festival!" I said. Again, everyone was hugging me. I looked over my shoulder and stared off into space.

Goodbye, Thomas Reeve. I won't miss you.

AN: Sorry I scared everyone. I wanted to be a little evil. I'll take a break from the evilness, I promise. Hope you enjoyed! Catch ya later!